Who here has never watched UFC 1

I had watched UFC 2-5 before UFC 1. That's just how they showed up at my local blockbuster.

I did actually watch it live (on PPV) as a 12 year old. My cousin and I (he's 3-4 years older than me) convinced his mom to order them for us and watched several of the first events. We were WWF fans before that. The commercials were unlike anything we had seen before then.
That's almost identical to my story, just replace your cousin with my brother!

Watched it in 94 on VHS when I was 12. First UFC I ever watched was UFC 4. Dan Severn's suplex on Anthony Macias was amazing. The whole event was really good. That was the infamous Kieth Hackney ball punching event. Hackney was a badass man. He gave Royce a pretty good fight.

Funny memory about that.....my uncle was a high school wrestler at the time and he got so hyped up about how well a wrestler was doing in NHB rules. He was so confused when Royce got that triangle. Hell, we were all confused. But it changed my life. Up until then my uncle would always bully me with his wrestling. Then I started learning BJJ moves by observing NHB fights and started to even the odds. True story, UFC 4 changed my life.

Damn, I'm feeling nostalgic as hell now. LOL I'm old.

The Best was when the Asian Rapist guy that played odd Job in austin Powers got punched in the nuts repeatedly.

Local video rental place had it next to Faces of Death.
dont remember any fights, musta been pretty boring card

UFC 1 was actually pretty ass compared to 2 through 4 (the Royce days). Jimmerson taps to mount. Shamrock hits a heelhook with ZERO hip control. Royce chokes Shamrock with his sleeve and Ken was confused and tried to act like he didn't tap. The best fighter of the night was Gerard Gordeau. He was actually beating the shit out of guys. He's the guy who kicked the tooth out of the sumo guy's face. I still remember being shook when I first saw that. I had never seen someone get full blown soccer kicked in the face before. Then that follow up bare knuckle punch to the temple made my heart sink. I was blown away and immediately hooked.

If you appreciate traditional arts, youbwould appreciate the early UFC's, IVC, WCC's etc. The players there were pretty true to whatever their traditional style was.

I recall seeing PPV ads for it and thought no way could this be real and had to be a bunch of bullshit. A friend told me about it the day after it aired and how it was rel stuff. I was sure to catch 2 live and many thereafter. I eventually rented #1 from a video store. .

Gordeaus-savate-salute.gif
This guy legit scared me.

Gerard Gordeau is a bad person and a dirty fighter but he still deserves to be in the hall of fame.

If you appreciate traditional arts, youbwould appreciate the early UFC's, IVC, WCC's etc. The players there were pretty true to whatever their traditional style was.
Jungle Fights had some savage beatings

I watched it live, and I actually just watched it for the first time again just a few days ago.

I remember everyone was watching that shit when it came on. Even in school kids were talking about Royce Gracie. I think it really became the most popular with our age group around the time Tito Ortiz showed up with the bad boy gimmick.

My buddy’s dad had a descrambler so we watched all PPVs for free. Tyson fights, WWF, Boxing, and the first UFC and every one after that. We were Karate kids and loved it. Royce was our first exposure to BJJ. Then guys like Shamrock and Severn showed the world what a grappling base can do and we realized Martial Arts movies would never be the same for us again.

THE good old brutal days of the ufc. Who remembers Jim Brown calling those fights?lol

Back