Who here has caught anything grappling?

knock on wood, nothing. But I'm OCD about rashguards, clean Gi's, clean mats and showering right after.

As for the gym as a whole, I can think of one case of staph, and several cases of ringworm.

Here is one thing people never do, and I do not understand why.

if you're rocking a Gi.
Let it dry normally, then put it in your dryer on the highest possible setting for 5-10 minutes. It isn't going to shrink it since it's dry.
That level of heat and dryness, will kill anything.

impetigo and ring worm from highschool wrestling. I have never gotten anything from BJJ.

Just rashes from gi chokes. Count myself lucky because I'm sure that both of the place I go don't actually have a good cleaning regime and I say something every now and again to the coaches but neither of them own or run the facilities which both tend to be multi-purpose facilities and have kids running around on them.

ringworm 3 times and mrsa twice, the last one was ringworm that contracted mrsa during the healing phase, been a fucked up month thats for sure

Calvo used put-down
It's super-effective
A critical hit!
Ghostayame has fainted.
Posted via Mobile Device

With all the reading I was wondering who here since started grappling/BJJ has contracted herpes, staph or anything else? How common is it to catch something while grappling and how is it preventable?
I've caught staph, ringworm, mulluscom (warts), and impetigo. You need to shower immediately after training and hope that your training partners are clean.

Molluscum isn't warts. I've had it from grappling and it's little spots with a white waxy core.

I've also had ringworm.

Molluscum isn't warts. I've had it from grappling and it's little spots with a white waxy core.

I've also had ringworm.
Well they are wartlike and are treated as if they are warts.

I've caught staph, ringworm, mulluscom (warts), and impetigo. You need to shower immediately after training and hope that your training partners are clean.

I had muluscum on my right arm in 2007 and, when I went to the doctor, he told me it's generally an STD and was pretty surprised that I didn't have it anywhere other than my arm.

I know exactly who I got it from because I saw a guy with that same thing on his arms a week or two before and he said it was heat rash, so I still rolled with him.

Yes, I was young and stupid or it could have been avoided.

I've also had mrsa and ringworm (the MRSA may have been from work because I let my BJJ school know about it and no one else got it).

I had muluscum on my right arm in 2007 and, when I went to the doctor, he told me it's generally an STD and was pretty surprised that I didn't have it anywhere other than my arm.

I know exactly who I got it from because I saw a guy with that same thing on his arms a week or two before and he said it was heat rash, so I still rolled with him.

Yes, I was young and stupid or it could have been avoided.

I've also had mrsa and ringworm (the MRSA may have been from work because I let my BJJ school know about it and no one else got it).
I caught my mulluscum from the gym too. I got it all over my neck, arms and chest. I still get a small outbreak on my arms. My doc is surprised that I still get them occasionally on my arms. I go to him to get them burned off. Supposedly you are supposed to gain an immunity to them.
I don't know who I got it from. I just woke up one morning with that shit all over my body.

I caught ringworm a few times from dirty Judo mats in college. From BJJ, the only thing I've caught is awesomeness.

I caught my mulluscum from the gym too. I got it all over my neck, arms and chest. I still get a small outbreak on my arms. My doc is surprised that I still get them occasionally on my arms. I go to him to get them burned off. Supposedly you are supposed to gain an immunity to them.
I don't know who I got it from. I just woke up one morning with that shit all over my body.

Yeah, I haven't had any problems since then, so I'm hoping there's an immunity.

I'm sure the doctor would have been upset about this, but I pulled the "core" out of all the spots (10-15? Maybe more) and it went away really quickly. Again, this was probably stupid, but it worked for me.

Had ring worm and it didn't go away for 6 months (it just went from one spot to another) until I finally had enough and use salicylic acid, burned my skin a bit and a lesson learned. One purple in our gym is fully covered with it, esp. at his neck and back area, but still keeps on rolling, darn.

In Japan, at the end of every class (rolling or stand up) all the students would go to the sink grab a hand towel and clean the mat from end to end. I thought it was a great custom, not just to keep the mats just a bit cleaner, but it also gives a sense of respecting your school/dojo: all the students participating in its care. It's a custom I'd really like to see more often in the states. I know my school sanitizes the mats every night, but there are several classes during the day, and could have been a hundred students rolling before the night classes even begin. It wouldn't eliminate all germs, but an ounce of prevention...
In our gym, mat cleaning is weekly, if you're lucky. Everyone can go to the toilet barefooted and back to the mats, instructor doesn't care, perhaps doesn't want to offend students.

Back