Who had the best takedowns in MMA history?

BringBackTRTforFairness

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Takedowns include x2 leg singles throws trips sweeps anything like that .

Fedor did well to make judo/sambo work I dotn believe its as effective as wrestling for takedowns but he made it effective because he was so good at them, and he set them up well with good striking

Bones Jones does some excellent greco mixed with a trip something you cant do in greco but an adaption that works really well in MMA

Danial Cormier with his crotch takedowns awesome

GSP with his expertly timed counter shots they throw a 1-2 he throws a x2 leg as they throw a 1 or a 2 and move towards him, brilliant plan

For sheer brutality Kevin Randleman and Brock Lesnar wow those are some explosive strong shots

Lastly Coleman for the old school combining the headbutt with a shot for a very effective combo move

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_UFC_records#Takedowns

Division/s Fighter Takedowns
Heavyweight Cain Velasquez 34
Light Heavyweight Tito Ortiz 58
Middleweight Rafael Natal 36
Welterweight Georges St-Pierre 87
Lightweight Gleison Tibau 84
Featherweight Dennis Bermudez 38
Bantamweight Urijah Faber 26
Flyweight Demetrious Johnson 49

Highest takedown percentage
Fighter
Division/s Landed Attempted %
1. Georges St-Pierre Welterweight 87 118 73.73%
2. Tim Elliott Flyweight 35 52 67.31%
3. Ramsey Nijem Lightweight/Welterweight 30 48 62.50%
4. Nate Marquardt Welterweight/Middleweight 32 52 61.54%
5. Karo Parisyan Welterweight 53 89 59.55%

GSP wins this one.

also:
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...nd-the-top-5-takedown-fighters-in-ufc-history

I feel like TD % is worth a lot more than total takedowns landed (though in this case GSP wins both)

Even before looking at the stats GSP is the first name that comes to mind. Will be interesting to see him against Bisping.

I feel like TD % is worth a lot more than total takedowns landed (though in this case GSP wins both)

Even before looking at the stats GSP is the first name that comes to mind. Will be interesting to see him against Bisping.

The most impressive thing about gsp's takedowns it's that he has a lot of them in the middle of the octogon. He doesn't need the cage to finish them like most of the takedowns we see in MMA.

It's not pure wrestling, it's mostly about how he sets them up with striking and feints.

I just rewatched the GSP VS Fitch fight last night and I think he landed 80% of is takedowns against a legit wrestler who trains at AKA. It was all about feints and going down after a slip or a weave. Maybe the most masterful performance of is career

For me it's GSP. Not only was he the best at finishing his TDs, he was also the best at integrating them into his striking game. I don't think we've seen better wrestling for MMA yet, though Khabib has a good shot at stealing that title if he can stay healthy and make LW consistently.

If we're talking about the best at integrating takedowns into a striking game, Frankie Edgar needs to be in that conversation. The way he hits that knee pick off of a jab is a thing of beauty.

If we're talking about the best at integrating takedowns into a striking game, Frankie Edgar needs to be in that conversation. The way he hits that knee pick off of a jab is a thing of beauty.

indeed we are

the best at takes downs and/or integrating take downs

GSP by a mile. The throws he hit in the Hughes rematch were amazing, especially the last one that set up the armbar. His overall TD% was insane and I think he's also got a streak for most rounds with a takedown.

Ronda would be in the conversation if the division were deeper. She's obviously the best technical thrower but her success should be attributed to the technical gulf between her and most opponents. She absolutely mauled Miesha in the second match. I think she did a great job of adapting her Judo to MMA...I really wish she'd have found a decent Muay Thai coach, or at least someone to discourage her from walking towards her opponents like a damn zombie.

That's kinda the same thing with Fedor - when he outclassed an opponent he had no trouble ragdolling them with beautiful throws. Once he faced real talent that mystique was gone. He even had trouble against Nog, Crocop, and Monson. Not that those two were slouches, and I still have a soft spot for Fedor the way he has a soft spot for cookies, but dudes like Stipe, Cain, Hendo (obviously), Jones, and Lesnar would have his number.

Machida hit some of the cleanest footsweeps.

GSP without question. Head and shoulders above the rest any way you slice it.. except maybe the Hendricks fight

GSP without question. Head and shoulders above the rest any way you slice it.. except maybe the Hendricks fight

That was a tough matchup for him. A stocky southpaw wrestler who doesn't throw out a ton of volume for him to counter off of is not someone who's going to be easy for a guy like GSP to take down.

GSP by a mile. The throws he hit in the Hughes rematch were amazing, especially the last one that set up the armbar. His overall TD% was insane and I think he's also got a streak for most rounds with a takedown.

Ronda would be in the conversation if the division were deeper. She's obviously the best technical thrower but her success should be attributed to the technical gulf between her and most opponents. She absolutely mauled Miesha in the second match. I think she did a great job of adapting her Judo to MMA...I really wish she'd have found a decent Muay Thai coach, or at least someone to discourage her from walking towards her opponents like a damn zombie.

That's kinda the same thing with Fedor - when he outclassed an opponent he had no trouble ragdolling them with beautiful throws. Once he faced real talent that mystique was gone. He even had trouble against Nog, Crocop, and Monson. Not that those two were slouches, and I still have a soft spot for Fedor the way he has a soft spot for cookies, but dudes like Stipe, Cain, Hendo (obviously), Jones, and Lesnar would have his number.

Machida hit some of the cleanest footsweeps.
Points for mentioning Machida in this thread! ;)

giphy.gif

(as seen sweeping a legit Judoka)

How could you not mention...
ql9YDL3.gif

Yoel+Romero+Palacio+Takedowns+Brad+Tavares+-+UFC+on+Fox+11.gif

10-Yoel-Romero-vs-Micha-Fijaka.gif

Brad-Tavares-gets-TD-vs-Yoel-Romero-R1-_zpsllncsprd.gif

RigidHiddenAss-size_restricted.gif

Also Chad Mendes has excellent takedowns,Cruz as well.

Stats do not prove anything, they only indicate who prefers to shoot more frequently. The stats would indicate that Tim Elliot and RAmsey Nijem are better at takedowns that Yoel Romero or Jon Jones which is pretty laughable.

Since someone brought up Machida, I will post for everyone's enjoyment probably the prettiest footsweep ever hit in high level MMA:

tumblr_miq9zd2uxn1qaa8d1o1_500.gif

From another angle:

76f5223ddb90217ced8fd451991e967c.gif

frekzp8wcj4ihn02lu4v.jpeg

The 2 div champ deserves a nod here

There are a good number of fighters in mma that had best wrestling than GSP, but I'd say none had better takedowns.

GSP is certainly the best takedown artist the sport has seen. His absolute numbers are the highest, his percentage is the highest, and his competition was loaded with great TDD (Kos, Hughes, Hendricks, Sherk, Alves etc).

Shit, too many badasses to name. It was rare for gsp to get stuffed. Machida was goat in td energy efficiency. If you locked up with tito in the clinch he was going to bring the pain. Frank shamrock probably had the goat slam KO, maybe rampage on arona although that was technically a sub escape not a TD. Mia always surprised everyone with who he could drag down to the mat and I was quite surprised he couldn't get woodlu down.

GSP's stand out for a lot of reasons. He didn't have a wrestling background so that was cool. And he had a good variety of takedowns. He wasn't a one trick pony. He had doubles, singles, Barsagars, knee taps, hip throws. He helped the sport evolve with how he set up his takedowns.

Karo Parisyan had my favorite just because I loved those big Judo throws. Same with Matt Hughes carrying people around on his shoulder and dumping them. Josh Koscheck, Johny Hendricks, and Jon Jones had some awesome ones.

DC's are awesome because of how high amplitude they are.

Demian Maia is a favorite right now because they look unique and he usually finishes off of them. Same with Khabib.

Back