Who had the best character development of any TV series?

He has been absolutely terrible since S4, imo.
How so? You know there is a chance he's still loyal to.his family?

His character has a ton of tension and the dude isn't even fighting dead people.

Always loved the character development with Mulder and Scully in X-Files and the way they interwove the whole science vs religion thing into it. They start out with Mulder being a believer of the paranormal/UFO's with Scully being skeptical only trusting in what she can prove with science, but at the same time she's religious and puts a lot of faith in her religion. This all develops through the seasons pretty nicely, eventualy getting flipped around with Mulder being skeptic about aliens and Scully being the believer after what she goes through with her own faith.

Also the way their relationship with each other develops through the seasons was really great stuff.

But really he went from probably the most hated character in season 1 to somewhat of an antihero in the last season. Pretty big turnaround.

I really like the way he's written.

He did some incredibly heinous things, but in retrospect you can see the justification, and he's quite a noble figure.

If you can get past the child murder and kin slaying.

"Tell me, if your precious Renly commanded you to kill your own father and stand by while thousands of men, women, and children burned alive, would you have done it? Would you have kept your oath then?"

Last edited:

They never should have cancelled this show. The actors had nothing better to do.

Daniel Sunjata joined that other silly USA show about a reporter or something

Serinda Swan cast on that terribad Inhumans show

The italian chick got on another CSI

Aaron Tveit did a Grease remake special

I dont know what happened to the two minority castmates.

How so? You know there is a chance he's still loyal to.his family?

His character has a ton of tension and the dude isn't even fighting dead people.

He has done bugger all of note since S4.

His dialogue has been terrible.....obviously trying to be witty, but failing.

His character has devolved rather than evolved, imo. TBF, the entire show hasn't been written as well in the last 2-3 seasons.

I think Peter Dinklage got too popular so the writers felt they needed to include him as much as possible, much to his detriment.

He has done bugger all of note since S4.

His dialogue has been terrible.....obviously trying to be witty, but failing.

His character has devolved rather than evolved, imo. TBF, the entire show hasn't been written as well in the last 2-3 seasons.

I think Peter Dinklage got too popular so the writers felt they needed to include him as much as possible, much to his detriment.
I have to generally disagree besides the fact he maybe is getting to much screen time.

There is only so many things you can do with a little person in a war series. It took balls to join with Dany and oppose his family. Even more balls if he's still inleague with his sister.

He's also shown courage in captivity, unchaining the dragons and going back to the Red Keep to meet his brother.

The show has gone off the rails but, before it did, Carol on Walking Dead went from beaten housewife to ruthless pragmatist, killer of trauamatized children, and subversive to her new home's leadership.

Dr Kelso on Scrubs went the opposite of most of the characters: As the show got zanier and more self-referential, Bob Kelso got more three-dimensional and sympathetic.

I have to generally disagree besides the fact he maybe is getting to much screen time.

There is only so many things you can do with a little person in a war series. It took balls to join with Dany and oppose his family. Even more balls if he's still inleague with his sister.

He's also shown courage in captivity, unchaining the dragons and going back to the Red Keep to meet his brother.

Tyrion showed courage from the start of the series.

Not an example of character development.

Niles from Frasier. Went from a stuck up, little bitch, who would be a cuck for Maris. Manned up, and ended up chilling out and taking the queen, in Daphne.

Perhaps the Hound.

Went from bowing before Robert in the middle of a fight to saying Fuck The King in the middle of a fight and walking off to become his own man and eventually a kind of hero in his own right.

But there’s also:

A-269739-1108588372.jpg.jpg

Cartman’s character remains consistent in some ways but also seriously changes throughout the series.

Tyrion showed courage from the start of the series.

Not an example of character development.
If you read my initial post and then you basically say his character sucked after season 4 my post is logically sound. My main point was his character has ebbs and flows and this type of development (yes, ebbs and flows can be a central aspect of character development, as long as the character arc is applicable) is central to the entire story where his character is certainly a centerpiece.

I can also argue it wasn't courage when he killed his father, it was revenge and perhaps even cowardice on his part. The act left the Lannisters vulnerable and the children were killed as a result.

So I believe his character is demonstrating a different type of courage. It's easier to take chances when most of your family wants you dead. Now he is in a foreign land surrounded by foreign powers so taking chances is very risky for him.

I completely expected a bunch of people to say Walter White, and I disagree.

He was the same guy at the end he was in the beginning.

He went full on Heisenberg in the very first episode. The show was basically a retelling of Jekyll and Hyde, he had an off switch. It even parodied itself when he failed to bully Saul at the end.

There were brilliant moments where he took steps towards the darkness, but he was a pretty static character.

I disagree. I think the (d)evolution of the character was pretty artful through four seasons.

And then in the final season he just magically becomes a cartoon villain.

Charlie in It's Always Sunny. The Charlie Work episode shows a tortured misunderstood genius.

The man started out a dyslexic drunk and worked his way up to bird law.

i1pqiK1.jpg

"... ever read the Book of Job?"

From silly little nerd
latest

To performing super villain level science experiments
anigif_enhanced-buzz-2900-1390920147-35.gif

anigif_enhanced-buzz-29431-1390922270-2.gif

unspecified-urkel.png

Charlie in It's Always Sunny. The Charlie Work episode shows a tortured misunderstood genius.

The man started out a dyslexic drunk and worked his way up to bird law.

I think Cricket is the best choice for this thread.

Pete Campbell Mad Men

petecampbell.jpg

In the beginning he is a up and comer in a Mid size Madison Avenue company. He comes from a prestigious family that can trace it's roots in Manhattan when it was Dutch colony.
He wants to prove he can make it on his own.
His dream is to be a partner and part of the New York elite. A guy you hate.

amc_mm__pete-seamless_1552_v2.jpg

To a guy you feel bad for and start to root for.
His family life falls apart. His prestigious family is bankrupt. As he begins to realize trying to make it in Manhattan is not bringing him any real happiness. Decides to leave Manhattan for a up and coming company(learjet) in Wichita KS.

Back