Who had a bigger Impact on the UFC? Brock or Conor???

Gangstub

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Brock Lesnar in 2008 arguably brought the UFC to new levels of exposure, and did the biggest numbers the business had ever scene at the time. Before Brock came to the UFC in 2008, the UFC as a whole didn't feel as complete for some reason.

Conor in 2015/2016 was breaking viewership records, and was getting notoriety in not just the sports media (ESPN,Fox Sports) but in mainstream media as a whole. But we could also say Rousey's popularity helped Conor to, with so many eyes on the UFC during her reign of terror.

You could also argue TUF in 2005 brought the UFC to mainstream sports media to.

Brock came in at the right time when the UFC was peaking and definitely took it one step higher in exposure, popularity, and hysteria. Watching within the years of 2007 through 2011-12 was something else. Bars were always packed, no matter who was on the card. Chicks were all into it too. Definitely not something I've seen since. Brock matches were especially hype. There was a resurgence with Rhonda, but once she was exposed and KO'd, all the girls checked out again. I guess they saw a hero in her or something. As for Connor, to his credit, he represents the biggest impact as far as long-term stability goes, and definitely brings international interest that no other fighter I've seen brings.

Brock McGregor
Conor McLesnar

Both did numbers and made millions for the company... But in his mind. Mcgregor made the UFC worth billions...

Impact as in pushing the sport forward? Lol have you seen the numbers lately.

Conor/Ronda did help with inflating the value of the UFC before they sold it off.

You could argue with either.

Rousey and McGregor are why the UFC sold for 4 billion which is ultimately a bigger impact on the UFC than Lesnar. Without him that deal isn't there.

Watching within the years of 2007 through 2011-12 was something else. Bars were always packed, no matter who was on the card. Chicks were all into it too. Definitely not something I've seen since.

Which to me is even more reason McGregor had a bigger impact than Brock. I watched during those years as well and while Lesnar was the biggest draw at the time, it's more impressive McGregor was able to draw over a million buys when the MMA bubble burst after 2011. During Lesnar's era UFC could pull 500k buys with non-title fights.

Which to me is even more reason McGregor had a bigger impact than Brock. I watched during those years as well and while Lesnar was the biggest draw at the time, it's more impressive McGregor was able to draw over a million buys when the MMA bubble burst after 2011. During Lesnar's era UFC could pull 500k buys with non-title fights.
Was it burst though? Ronda was pulling in huge buys too during that same period

Conor had a bigger impact on the UFC. When people hear the name Brock Lesnar most of them think WWE.

Was it burst though? Ronda was pulling in huge buys too during that same period

It was a burst. When people refer to the MMA bubble it was a period of time (roughly 2006-2011) when just the name "UFC" would generate lots of PPV buys. I remember watching Hughes vs Alves for a non-title fight in the afternoon at a Hooters and that did more PPV buys that some UFC title fights at night do today(Aldo vs Holloway for example). Bullshit cards during off times would actually draw crowds back then thats how hot MMA was.

Rousey and Conor were 2 standouts that the sport has never seen and they just happen to rise up roughly the same time. They sold PPVs not because of the letters "UFC" but because people wanted to see them. They were the first stars where that people considered bigger than the promotion itself.

Back