Who else carries a blade at all times?

kershaw with a modest 3.5 blade is attached to me. has saved my ass various times with chores or tasks or generally makes me look badass when the sissy fools around here are not equipped for manly cutting tasks and I whip out my shit and go to work

I have a 2.5 inch blade I carry around.

Wish I had a 3" switchblade just because switchblades look so cool.

Van-hoy-Snap-Fire-crkt.JPG

CRKT is my favorite brand. I'll swap this one out for my other CRKT's on a given day.

I'm not 100% sure if this thread is just for laughs or not, but if you're just a regular dude, and you're carrying a knife on you 24/7 for any purpose other than opening packaging or other tasks.... well I'm picturing some kind of a loser with anxiety problems.

I'm not 100% sure if this thread is just for laughs or not, but if you're just a regular dude, and you're carrying a knife on you 24/7 for any purpose other than opening packaging or other tasks.... well I'm picturing some kind of a loser with anxiety problems.

Once it becomes habit, it's just like carrying a wallet. No big deal.

Yep, I've got a desk job, but I use mine pretty much daily for one thing or another.

I always have one. I started to carry one for work. But once I started carrying, it became habit. If I happen to forget it, I will definately need it for something that day. It comes in handy for the littlest things, like prying a beer cap off or cutting a loose string off your shirt.

Carrying a knife only makes you a nut if you can't find any better uses for it than showing your friends how sharp it is and how fast you could gut a would-be-mugger with it. ( I have a friend like this.)

I carry a knife all the time, and I use it DAILY for various tasks. If you start carrying one, you'll use it too. That's how it is. It's like a watch.

Currently carrying the newer Kershaw half-ton. I got it 2 weeks ago. Cheap knife but with a more expensive knife feeling. Very smooth to open. Love it so far.

kershaw.halfton1.jpg

I have plenty of knives. Probably way too many (lol). I change my EDC monthly or so.

I know that people are all over Spyderco these days. I have 3 Spydercos but they aren't my favorite. Overall, I prefer Benchmade and Kershaw.

you guys are insecure

I don't think of myself as insecure. I'm a pretty strong guy, a decent kickboxer and a BJJ brown belt. I'm pretty confident in myself physically and mentally. But I know a knife is a convenient tool that could be a lifesaver, so why wouldn't I carry one?

I don't think of myself as insecure. I'm a pretty strong guy, a decent kickboxer and a BJJ brown belt. I'm pretty confident in myself physically and mentally. But I know a knife is a convenient tool that could be a lifesaver, so why wouldn't I carry one?

That was great luckyshot thank you.

^Really, if your going to carry a weapon might as well carry a gun. Pulling a knife on someone will get you shot.

I'm sorry, after the first few seconds, this was just blah blah blah silly strawman argument blah blah blah.

Why are you fighting knife on knife anyway? In an open environment where you can control distance, angle, etc? Please. The couple times I have seen a knife used on another person, nobody saw it coming. On your feet, shifting around and controlling distance, my ass.

And wasn't Paul Vunak the guy who used to sell his SuperDuper SEAL Team self defense tapes in the back of Black Belt Magazine in the early 90s? How many knife fights has this guy been in?

^Really, if your going to carry a weapon might as well carry a gun. Pulling a knife on someone will get you shot.

I really don't think most people are carrying knives for self-defense, They're a tool. For the record, I do have a concealed carry permit.

I'm sorry, after the first few seconds, this was just blah blah blah silly strawman argument blah blah blah.

Why are you fighting knife on knife anyway? In an open environment where you can control distance, angle, etc? Please. The couple times I have seen a knife used on another person, nobody saw it coming. On your feet, shifting around and controlling distance, my ass.

And wasn't Paul Vunak the guy who used to sell his SuperDuper SEAL Team self defense tapes in the back of Black Belt Magazine in the early 90s? How many knife fights has this guy been in?

What I took away from that video was, "knife fighting is risky and it's easy to fuck yourself up" which I wholeheartedly agree with, but when it got to the controlling distance drivel, I tuned out. It all sounds good in theory; cutting your opponent's hand and all, but it's just so damned risky. I think most people should focus on the first half more so than the latter portion.

What I took away from that video was, "knife fighting is risky and it's easy to fuck yourself up" which I wholeheartedly agree with, but when it got to the controlling distance drivel, I tuned out. It all sounds good in theory; cutting your opponent's hand and all, but it's just so damned risky. I think most people should focus on the first half more so than the latter portion.

I think the southeast Asian knife fighting arts are fine in an esoteric sense, just like kendo or kyudo, or Chinese weapons - as a physical-intellectual pursuit, but I see the majority of Filipino based knife fighting advocates as the weapon based equivalent of the TMAs and Black Belt Magazine McDojos of the 80s and 90s.

Most of these knife fighters have NEVER been in a single knife fight in their entire lives. Or base their entire philosophies on something that might have happened to someone once in very limited circumstances. They've never had a wake-up call like MMA did for the empty handed martial arts. It's nearly impossible to test in an objective environment. In other words, it's basically aikido. It's almost all bullshit.

Years ago, I used to belong to this, for lack of a better way to put it, a martial arts social club (I guess you cold say we even had our own logos). One of the group was a big Dog Brothers type of guy. Really cool guy, knew his shit and his stick fighting skills were damn good, to the point that he'd just overwhelm the hell out of me whenever we'd goof off with kendo vs escrima. Funny thing is that the first few times we played with knife on knife with markers and chalked practice knives, I'd get the better because he'd do this controlling distance bullshit. I did to him what he'd do to me when it was escrima sticks vs shinai. I'd wait, then shoot, take cuts on the arm/torso on my way into the clinch but I'd almost always get my objective, which was a good slice on the neck. In the half the hypotheticals, I'm alive (and need stitches) but he's dead. The other half the time, I'd run face or stomach first into his knife.

What I learned from that was don't get into knife fights. It's fucking stupid.

This Paul Vunak and most of this distance control knife fighting is the weapons equivalent of WTF (Olympic) TKD.

Sorry... good call. I actually posted the wrong video: this is the video I thought I was posting.

For the record, if someone does pull a knife on you in a semi-open area, I'd advise giving him your shit and running away. And if someone pulls a gun, my advice would be the exact same. Make the bastard hit a moving target if he wants to shoot you; if he tries to shoot you while you're running away, chances are he was going to shoot you anyways.

I do carry a knife, but it is certainly not with the idea of getting into a knife duel (I've never studied Kail or anything like that). My main defensive weapons are my sneakers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back