Who do you got, GGG or Canelo?

Who do you got, GGG or Canelo

• Total voters
It's been a while since I watched the Monroe fight but I remember thinking it was more like GGG felt he didn't have any power for him and chose to walk through them to get his own in faster.

I tried to write a half decent analysis but honestly, its a toss up. Both can win.

I'd admit, Canelo's showing was pretty decent. Impressed with the punch selections and that left to the body was just brutal.

Anyone want to GIF the KO of Smith?

I have never thought GGG gets hit on purpose, lol. That is stupid. I do however think he gets more reckless when he fights a fighter he knows doesnt have the power to knock him out. I doubt very much he just wades in on Canelo, if they fight. Id pick him to fight the same way he did against Lemieux. Jab the shit out of him then get him late. He could also get KOed, but I would take GGG. Canelo has power but we still ont know if that power translates to fighting 160 pounders, nor do we know if Canelo can take a shot from a 160 pounder.

its almost 20-1 already and people still get hyped for this mismatch.SMH

But it's such fun watching old ginger getting his arse whooped, when Floyd murked him it was a thing of beauty.

GGG isn't stupid, he can box on the outside well, and Canelo's jab, while not awful, isn't as good as GGG and he's not great at taking the fight to his opponent. If I'm GGG I'm playing a slow, smart game of jabbing on the outside, I avoid the ropes and I avoid Canelo's combinations. I think GGG could still win a toe to toe war, but it's smarter to avoid that since his defense gets leaky sometimes and Canelo could clock him hard unless GGG's slips and parries are on point.

That's a bit of a strange post.

A slow paced boxing fight in the center of the ring is not the kind of fight GGG wants to be having with Canelo, it would be a terrible gameplan for him. We haven't seen any evidence that GGG can outskill Canelo in the center of the ring, he's outmatched in that area. GGG has a great jab but so does Canelo, and even with the jab, it's not wise to have a shot selection contest with Canelo in the center of the ring, at a pace he loves.

If GGG is to win, he has to put pressure on and dominate the rounds, he's not going to do the flashier work when they exchange in the center of the ring, he just hasn't shown us anything that suggests he can land the same kind of counter combinations and accurate single shots like Canelo can. His strengths are almost purely offensive in this match up, and he'd need to use them on the front foot. His power and accuracy when he has Canelo on the ropes is what could win him the fight.

As for the Brook fight, there were definitely adjustments made by GGG. The reason he come flying out of his corner in round 3 and 4 was because he was getting hit and hurt in the center of the ring. He boxed with Brook in the center of the ring, realised that was dangerous and then went straight to his pressure game which he knew would finish the fight. His technical boxing definitely got exposed to some degree, his lead shots, particularly the left hook were messy and slow, and he showed zero head movement, with a particular vulnerability to the uppercut. I really don't think he's going to try and box with Canelo, the kid has been perfecting his boxer-puncher game for a long time and seems to get better every fight, it would be a stupid gameplan.

I'm actually picking Canelo in this one, I originally thought GGG, but the more I've gone back and reviewed his (GGG) fights, the more I've leaned towards Canelo and now Jacobs both beating him.

It's 50/50. I think Saul has the advantage except against the ropes. He can walk Golovkin into shots and frustrate him. But eventually Golovkin will get Alvarez there, and then things tilt in Golovkin's favor. I think either guy can change the fight with a single punch. Canelo needs to get to Golovkin's body early though. If he doesn't, and Golovkin can still move at will late in the fight, Saul is in for a bad time.

I'm going to vote for Canelo because I'm a fan. But really I don't know, probably slightly favor Golovkin because of Canelo's stamina late in the fight.

I have no doubt if it comes off it's a FOTY candidate. Unlike May/Pac which most people saw coming.
I may slightly favor GGG but just can't help thinking that Canelo knocks his head into the crowd if he catches him the same uppercut Brook landed.

I think he did that because he knew he could get Brook out of there pretty early, which he did. Brook is too small to deal with that kind of punishment. He went out there winging punches, broke Brook's eye socket, and made his corner stop it in the first half of the fight. I definitely think that was an intentional strategy, not some panic move.

He said before the fight that he was going out to make it a "street fight." I don't think what we saw was really a reaction to what Brook was doing in the ring as much as it was just an obvious choice for a 160 pound power puncher fighting a welterweight.
Reminds me of Ricardo Lopez' last fight. He was the ultimate technician but at some point just decided he was going to force a stoppage and took a bit of a battering.

But it's such fun watching old ginger getting his arse whooped, when Floyd murked him it was a thing of beauty.

it was and this fight might be fun too but i think GGG break down Saul exactly like he does everyone else. and Surprised its only 3-1 now.

That's a bit of a strange post.

A slow paced boxing fight in the center of the ring is not the kind of fight GGG wants to be having with Canelo, it would be a terrible gameplan for him. We haven't seen any evidence that GGG can outskill Canelo in the center of the ring, he's outmatched in that area. GGG has a great jab but so does Canelo, and even with the jab, it's not wise to have a shot selection contest with Canelo in the center of the ring, at a pace he loves.

If GGG is to win, he has to put pressure on and dominate the rounds, he's not going to do the flashier work when they exchange in the center of the ring, he just hasn't shown us anything that suggests he can land the same kind of counter combinations and accurate single shots like Canelo can. His strengths are almost purely offensive in this match up, and he'd need to use them on the front foot. His power and accuracy when he has Canelo on the ropes is what could win him the fight.

As for the Brook fight, there were definitely adjustments made by GGG. The reason he come flying out of his corner in round 3 and 4 was because he was getting hit and hurt in the center of the ring. He boxed with Brook in the center of the ring, realised that was dangerous and then went straight to his pressure game which he knew would finish the fight. His technical boxing definitely got exposed to some degree, his lead shots, particularly the left hook were messy and slow, and he showed zero head movement, with a particular vulnerability to the uppercut. I really don't think he's going to try and box with Canelo, the kid has been perfecting his boxer-puncher game for a long time and seems to get better every fight, it would be a stupid gameplan.
Canelo does NOT have a great jab, that's the issue. A pressure based strategy would walk GGG directly into Canelo's combinations and Canelo's slickness. I'm not saying that GGG should pull a DLH-Trinidad, but he should be willing to sit behind his jab and avoid a slugfest against Canelo. He should mix in pressure here and there when Canelo is frustrated or trying to move the fight forward, but a long range fight is best against a guy like Canelo, who, while not one-handed, does not have a superior jab to GGG and is flat footed.

Canelo by uppercut - GGG is open to them and Canelo can throw them long and short with power.

Pick em fight really though.

Canelo by uppercut - GGG is open to them and Canelo can throw them long and short with power.

Pick em fight really though.
I saw Brook landing some that I thought, If Canelo lands those, GGG is going to sleep.

I saw Brook landing some that I thought, If Canelo lands those, GGG is going to sleep.

Canelo doesn't really put anybody above the Kirkland level to sleep. But GGG definitely won't want to eat clean shots all night, it would probably have to be an accumulation of punches to really hurt him.

Canelo doesn't really put anybody above the Kirkland level to sleep. But GGG definitely won't want to eat clean shots all night, it would probably have to be an accumulation of punches to really hurt him.
With GGGs lack of defense and head movement, Id favor Canelo in any exchanges.

As for the Brook fight, there were definitely adjustments made by GGG. The reason he come flying out of his corner in round 3 and 4 was because he was getting hit and hurt in the center of the ring. He boxed with Brook in the center of the ring, realised that was dangerous and then went straight to his pressure game which he knew would finish the fight.

He came out flying in round 1. From the very start of the fight the plan appeared to be heavy pressure, not boxing in the middle of the ring. The reason he looked re-energized coming in for round 3 is because he broke Brook's face in round 2 and knew the stoppage was coming.

With GGGs lack of defense and head movement, Id favor Canelo in any exchanges.

But let's say Canelo lands 2-3 punches for every 2 punches that GGG lands. He's winning the exchanges by punch count, but is he taking too much damage? I think a lot of this fight relies on how Canelo responds to being hit by GGG.

But let's say Canelo lands 2-3 punches for every 2 punches that GGG lands. He's winning the exchanges by punch count, but is he taking too much damage? I think a lot of this fight relies on how Canelo responds to being hit by GGG.
I think most of this is gonna rely on GGGs strategy. As someone explained in an earlier post. He can't really brawl it out, and he can't really box it out with Canelo. I think hes gonna have to mix it up a little bit and adjust frequently to keep Canelo guessing.
If he brawls, hes gonna be susceptible to being left open, and Canelo has great combinations and great punch selection.
If he boxes with Canelo, I think Canelo eats him up. Canelo will do body work and land the punches he wants. GGG wont be use to someone who isnt fazed by some of the punches others have been fazed by, which could frustrate him and either make him better or make him fall apart. We haven't seen him tested in that way yet so we really dont know.

I think most of this is gonna rely on GGGs strategy. As someone explained in an earlier post. He can't really brawl it out, and he can't really box it out with Canelo. I think hes gonna have to mix it up a little bit and adjust frequently to keep Canelo guessing.
If he brawls, hes gonna be susceptible to being left open, and Canelo has great combinations and great punch selection.
If he boxes with Canelo, I think Canelo eats him up. Canelo will do body work and land the punches he wants. GGG wont be use to someone who isnt fazed by some of the punches others have been fazed by, which could frustrate him and either make him better or make him fall apart. We haven't seen him tested in that way yet so we really dont know.

Liam Smith got some good work in against Canelo. A very uninspiring 154-pound British champ gave Canelo the business at times. You really think Canelo is just going to box GGG up with counters and flashy combinations, regardless of whether GGG boxes or brawls? I don't see it.

Just like GGG fans, Canelo fans give him extra-credit for some things he may not actually be able to do. Canelo is not flat-lining an elite middleweight, and he's not going to simply eat GGG up with combinations without taking serious damage in return.

Liam Smith got some good work in against Canelo. A very uninspiring 154-pound British champ gave Canelo the business at times. You really think Canelo is just going to box GGG up with counters and flashy combinations, regardless of whether GGG boxes or brawls? I don't see it.

Just like GGG fans, Canelo fans give him extra-credit for some things he may not actually be able to do. Canelo is not flat-lining an elite middleweight, and he's not going to simply eat GGG up with combinations without taking serious damage in return.
3rd KO for Canelo

Back