Who created punk? Was it the Ramones? The Sex Pistols?

DannyNL

The King is BACK, baby!
Banned
Reaction score
Or was it the Monkees with "Stepping Stone"?

Arguably: The Stooges, The Velvet Underground and The MC5, among others.

The chords and song structure were lifted from 50s rock and roll and just edited slightly though, I would say.

No one invented it....it evolved naturally out of various bands in the 60s like the sonics, the stooges, the MC5, velvet underground, some kinks etc. (as said above) which came to be known as proto-punk in hindsight. In turn a lot of those bands where just playing old blues riffs, or 50s rock and roll...a lot of it was pretty much the same as the 60s blues revival stuff like the rolling stones, or garage rock, but with more edge....

Last edited:
6ed6a487d0bf1187992ff6ecbc99c976.jpg

I'd argue that the earliest roots of punk can be traced back to Link Wray, the song rumble more or less started garage rock, garage rock bands would then in turn influence early punk.

I'd argue that the earliest roots of punk can be traced back to Link Wray, the song rumble more or less started garage rock, garage rock bands would then in turn influence early punk.

interestingly enough Link Wray was half shawnee native. Makes me proud :)

No one invented it....it evolved naturally out of various bands in the 60s like the sonics, the stooges, the MC5, velvet underground, some kinks etc. (as said above) which came to be known as proto-punk in hindsight. In turn a lot of those bands where just playing old blues riffs, or 50s rock and roll...a lot of it was pretty much the same as the 60s blues revival stuff like the rolling stones, or garage rock, but with more edge....

I would agree with this. The who were important aswell.

It doesn't matter.

But if you must.

First define what you think punk is, then that will lead pretty clearly to your answer.

Seems to just be that a lot of it's origins was just kids hopped up on pixie sticks that were fans of the early rock and roll and surf rock pioneers that started up amateur bands together. They weren't all that good at first, so they relied on their youthful energy (and with that often comes volume), and the distortion could both be an influence from some songs from those early pioneers to the kids not really having the best amps and tuning, but that distortion becoming a part of their personal sound. That was the early garage rock sound and as the 60's and early 70's amped up to a climax the energy and choas of the youth was through the roof and that further reflected in the music that established the early punk sound. But punk wasn't all like that, you also have more experimental bands in that lot and those had varied influences, a lot of "art student" punk.

Or was it the Monkees with "Stepping Stone"?

All types of music are an evolution from music that came before. That Monkees song you posted is hardly punk rock though. The Romones, the Clash, and the Sex Pistols are all recognized as pioneers. Early punk did borrow 1950's rock 'n' roll chord progressions though.

Back