Who attacks body first before head

MadSquabbles500

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
Which fighters, mma, boxing, KB/MT attack the body first as their opening strategy before aiming for the head?

I have heard the expression that if you want to hit the head, target the body first because either they start to lower their guard, or keep them from slipping their head.

So who are good examples for me to watch? Does anyone in any of the three professional sports like to attack the body first upon initial entry into striking range?

Ive seen Lomachenko do it a lot. Also Pacquiao. There's a bunch in boxing near the top levels that do it, I'd go there.

I was going to mention these two.

Also Floyd Mayweather Jr. for boxing

Donald Cerrone, Matt Brown, Thomas Almeida etc

Canelo setting up that nuke on Khan is the first thing that comes to mind recently.

Errol Spence, Jr as well

Chuck liddell in the rematch against rampage

cant believe no one mentioned andre ward, he said he learned from watching mayweather jr tho .. faint jabs to head and POP to the body.. cover the view with lead jab and straight to body... its fun as hell in sparring lol

Bas Rutten of course, and lately Max Holloway.
Bas' liver shot was sometimes enough to knock people down, punches to the head weren't even necessary.

Roberto Duran comes to mind.

Conor McGregor. Those body kicks are no jokes, just ask Chad Mendes.

John Lineker.

Dollars to donuts, he's gona swing that lead hook to the body like a woodcutters ax whenever someone steps in on him.

He don't care even if they come in with a punch of their own, he'll just take that guaranteed shot, every time.

Back