Who are your top 10 running backs in NFL history.

OCGSC

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
They can't be current players.
.Walter Payton
.Barry Sanders
.Joe Brown
.O.J. Simpson
.Terrell Davis
.Marshall Faulk
.Curtis Martin
.Gale Sayers
.LaDainian Tomlinson
.Bo Jackson

Sanders
Payton
OJ
Terrell Davis
AP
Emmitt
Faulk
Tomlison
Brown
Bo - I question including him

Walter Peyton
Jim Brown
Barry Sanders
LT
Gale Sayers
Priest Holms
Eric Dickerson
Eric Cambell
Marshall Faulk
Red Grange

I think a lot of these dudes can be placed anywhere. Priest Holms needs love tho, he had 3 of the best seasons in NFL history.

Barry Sanders
Walter Payton
Jim Brown
Emmitt Smith
LaDanian Tomlinson
OJ Simpson
Marshall Faulk
Gale Sayers
Eric Dickerson
Tony Dorsett

RB is such a hard position to judge because your success depends a lot on others.

Did you have a good offensive line?
Did you have a good passing game to keep the defense honest? But not so good that they pass all the time?
Did you have a coach that preferred to run the ball?
Did you have a good defense, which allowed you to run more in order to kill the clock?
And more recently, do you have a coach that preferred to run with 1 guy, instead of keeping his star fresh by issuing a committee?

With all those factors involved it's almost like you just need to judge RBs on their highlights. In which case I'd say Barry Sanders was the best.

Also, do you place more weight on performance over time? Or single season brilliance?

Like someone above said, priest Holmes was great for 3 seasons. Jamal Anderson was great for a year. Shaun Alexander was great for what, a few years maybe? Chris Johnson was amazing for one year.

Are those guys better than someone like Marcus Allen, or Frank Gore, who never had an amazing season but consistently performed well over a very long career?

RB is such a hard position to judge because your success depends a lot on others.

Did you have a good offensive line?
Did you have a good passing game to keep the defense honest? But not so good that they pass all the time?
Did you have a coach that preferred to run the ball?
Did you have a good defense, which allowed you to run more in order to kill the clock?
And more recently, do you have a coach that preferred to run with 1 guy, instead of keeping his star fresh by issuing a committee?

With all those factors involved it's almost like you just need to judge RBs on their highlights. In which case I'd say Barry Sanders was the best.
The answer is Barry Sanders because his team was shit.

Barry Sanders (got to see him play in college in 1988) and then everyone else.

The answer is Barry Sanders because his team was shit.
Yeah, no RB ever did as well with nothing around him. Emmitt has all the stats and rings, but I feel dirty putting him at #1 in the "best" conversation.

Sanders
Thurman
LT
Dickerson
OJ
Women beater Brown
Faulk
Shady
Leveon
Smith

Bo

Sanders
Payton
OJ
Allen
Faulk
Tomlinson
Dickinson
Dorsett
Petterson

If ever a thread should include video, it's this one.

I'm disappointed.

1. Marshawn Lynch
2-10. A bunch of cans

Seriously

Barry, widely
Brown
Payton
Dickerson
Murderer
LT
Faulk
Smith
Beatyourson
Thomas

Marcus Allen probably needs a spot but a lot of these cats are interchangeable.

Back