Who are the toughest fighters you have seen in MMA in your time as fan?

This sport is filled with some of the toughest men to ever walk the earth. Here is a short list:
Big Nog
Mark Hunt
Robbie Lawler
Dan Henderson
Shogun Rua
Frankie Edgar
Mirko Cro Cop
Nick and Nate Diaz
Fedor
Sakuraba

Big Nog is probably thee toughest MMA fighter OAT. To overcome getting ran over by a truck at like 8 and nearly dying to becoming a champion at like 25 is insane. To survive flush bombs from fedors ground n pound, Mirko Cro Cops left high kick, Bob Sapp slamming him on his neck, some of dan hendos h-bombs, and etc...

The GOAT chin, the toughest mma fighter, and a top 3 HW OAT.

I must be bored, because I'm seemingly arguing with an autistic 14 year old here. But...shit...whatever.

1. Since there is no finite definition of toughness, I'll put it this way: It doesn't make you MORE tough if you tap. So you have that on Tony, great. The same way it doesn't make you MORE tough if you get pounded into a state where you wobble around not knowing what state you are in like Nick did when he got KO'd. So, one time where each was finished. Your premise was that Nick was tougher (not the same, tougher) than Tony. They each were finished once in their career. One each, I'll help you with the math if you need me to there Einstein.

2. Nick has been knocked down too plenty. By the legendary KJ Noons (among others) for example LOL. Want to tackle that one, or just ignore it? Or did you just forget that? But if you get knocked down because you are off balance when the strike lands (as opposed to your idiotic reply of "Derp I'm not talking about getting knocked off balance, I'm talking about getting knocked down!" then it has nothing to do with toughness). You understand the difference between getting knocked off balance, and getting knocked down because you are ALREADY off balance when the strike lands, right? It's like I'm writing the book "MMA for dummies" here, except I have to dumb it down even more for you. Sigh...

3. I don't even know where to begin here LOL. "Truly great competition"? You actually, honestly believe that wins over Frank Shamrock and BJ Penn WHEN NICK FOUGHT THEM and LOSSES to GSP and Anderson Silva (again, with Silva far past his prime just like Shamrock and Penn) are better than an 11 fight win streak that includes guys like RDA, Barboza, Lee, Pettis, etc. that are amost all in their primes? I mean, do you actually HONESTLY believe that? I'll keep capitalizing here and there as I feel you need all the help you can get in realizing how unbelievably ridiculous your stance is.

Maybe Nick can step back in the cage and take on Matt Hughes next! Holy shit he'd have a win over one of the best WW's of all time! And you'd probably mark that down as an epic win for Nick.

So, you gonna answer the one simple question? Nothing rhetorical about it. Just plain and simple do you think when you fight someone during their career has an impact on how that fight should be viewed from a level-of-competition standpoint. C'mon scrub, don't keep ducking and asking more questions. Show some "toughness" here ha ha.

You said a lot, traveled down many tangents, fired-off many insults, without actually answering my questions directly.

I'll answer yours directly though: Yes, beating 4 GOAT candidates counts for more, historically, than beating 4 front-runners, who never actually did anything of note.

See? That's how a man answers a direct question :)

Now then, let's put your claim about Diaz beating GOATS that were "passed their primes" under the microscope, because what you're also doing is *exaggerating* the state of the GOATS Diaz beat or had close fights with. Let's look at each in turn:

** First of all, Nate Diaz was himself coming off an 11-bout winning streak, after the Noons loss (cut), when he faced B.J. Penn.

• Frank Shamrock had a 14-win streak before losing to Cung Le, a striker. His next bout was a loss to Diaz, another striker. Shamrock wasn't "passed his prime"; the truth is, he couldn't deal with world-class strikers, and retired after his 2nd KO loss to better strikers.
  • BJ Penn had come off a submission over Florian, a TKO of Diego Sanchez, two hard-fought decision losses to Edgar, and a KO over Matt Hughs, when Diaz faced Penn. That was Penn's last win and it was Diaz' last win, and DIAZ had the longer, tougher career.
  • St. Pierre was coming off a 10-fight winning streak when he faced Diaz, who just lost to Condit after having just beat Penn, and the bout went the distance. St. Pierre admitted that Diaz was scaring him, because he never got hurt, and he never got tired, while St. Pierre was getting tired. GSP went on to continue his winning streak.
  • Silva had come off a 17-fight winning streak, before losing back-to-back against Weidman. He is also a much bigger man than Diaz, but he couldn't put him away, and again the bout went the distance. Diaz never fought again; Silva lost two more, then won his last.
So **the truth is** Nick Diaz was passed his prime too, and he split wins/losses with 4 of the undisputed GOATS (2-2, finishing strong in his losses), and ALL OF THEM were at the tail end of their careers, but still coming off incredible win streaks. Every one (except GSP) either retired, or lost badly, after they met, but were multi-division, top-tier Champions in their careers.

If you really had as much fight knowledge as you profess, and were honest and sober in your answers, you would concede that the level of competition Ferguson has faced looks pretty pale and unaccomplished compared to the level of comp Nick Diaz' faced ... and that Nick Diaz was on the tail-end of his prime too.

You said a lot, traveled down many tangents, fired-off many insults, without actually answering my questions directly.

I'll answer yours directly though: Yes, beating 4 GOAT candidates counts for more, historically, than beating 4 front-runners, who never actually did anything of note.

See? That's how a man answers a direct question :)

Now then, let's put your claim about Diaz beating GOATS that were "passed their primes" under the microscope, because what you're also doing is *exaggerating* the state of the GOATS Diaz beat or had close fights with. Let's look at each in turn:

** First of all, Nate Diaz was himself coming off an 11-bout winning streak, after the Noons loss (cut), when he faced B.J. Penn.

• Frank Shamrock had a 14-win streak before losing to Cung Le, a striker. His next bout was a loss to Diaz, another striker. Shamrock wasn't "passed his prime"; the truth is, he couldn't deal with world-class strikers, and retired after his 2nd KO loss to better strikers.
  • BJ Penn had come off a submission over Florian, a TKO of Diego Sanchez, two hard-fought decision losses to Edgar, and a KO over Matt Hughs, when Diaz faced Penn. That was Penn's last win and it was Diaz' last win, and DIAZ had the longer, tougher career.
  • St. Pierre was coming off a 10-fight winning streak when he faced Diaz, who just lost to Condit after having just beat Penn, and the bout went the distance. St. Pierre admitted that Diaz was scaring him, because he never got hurt, and he never got tired, while St. Pierre was getting tired. GSP went on to continue his winning streak.
  • Silva had come off a 17-fight winning streak, before losing back-to-back against Weidman. He is also a much bigger man than Diaz, but he couldn't put him away, and again the bout went the distance. Diaz never fought again; Silva lost two more, then won his last.
So **the truth is** Nick Diaz was passed his prime too, and he split wins/losses with 4 of the undisputed GOATS (2-2, finishing strong in his losses), and ALL OF THEM were at the tail end of their careers, but still coming off incredible win streaks. Every one (except GSP) either retired, or lost badly, after they met, but were multi-division, top-tier Champions in their careers.

If you really had as much fight knowledge as you profess, and were honest and sober in your answers, you would concede that the level of competition Ferguson has faced looks pretty pale and unaccomplished compared to the level of comp Nick Diaz' faced ... and that Nick Diaz was on the tail-end of his prime too.

Wow.

Frank Shamrock- was actually 3-2 in his 5 fights prior to Nick, and that was over almost a 9 year span LOL. Are you serious here?

Penn- Yes KO'd an also way past his prime Hughes but as you said lost his previous 2 fights to Edgar. Convenient that you bring up size with Silva, but not with Penn who has made 145. Nice try on that one, but there's a bigger natural size difference between Nick and BJ than between Anderson and Nick.

GSP- Sure probably in his prime or close, but he won a lopsided decision LOL so who cares? Some random quote from him afterward (that you made up for a I know) doesn't change the fact it was a one-sided fight. Fighting someone great but getting shut out isn't some sort of boon to a resume' buddy, you realize that right? It was 50-45 on every scorecard. You actually try to slide that in as "had close fights with". Again, nice try, but swing and a miss.

Anderson- coming off not just two losses but a brutal KO and then a horrible leg break. And again, 50-45, 50-45, 49-46. How the hell is that a "close fight"?

Honestly it's sort of stunning to me that you are continuing this lunacy. You tried, but it's really time to let it go.

The Jones fight is what made me a fan of Shogun (abit of a hater before that) the toughness he displayed was something else, 99% of fighters would have rolled over and waited for the fight to be stopped alot earlier.
I think a lot of people completely overlook the flying knee Jon landed flush on Shoguns chin like not even 10 seconds into the fight.

Would have probably dropped and even finished a lot of guys. Shogun basically was rocked before the fight even really got going and still lasted so long

Disappointed to see no mention of Michael Bisping. Dude fought the last part of his career with one fucking eye!

Wow.

Frank Shamrock- was actually 3-2 in his 5 fights prior to Nick, and that was over almost a 9 year span LOL. Are you serious here?

Penn- Yes KO'd an also way past his prime Hughes but as you said lost his previous 2 fights to Edgar. Convenient that you bring up size with Silva, but not with Penn who has made 145. Nice try on that one, but there's a bigger natural size difference between Nick and BJ than between Anderson and Nick.

GSP- Sure probably in his prime or close, but he won a lopsided decision LOL so who cares? Some random quote from him afterward (that you made up for a I know) doesn't change the fact it was a one-sided fight. Fighting someone great but getting shut out isn't some sort of boon to a resume' buddy, you realize that right? It was 50-45 on every scorecard. You actually try to slide that in as "had close fights with". Again, nice try, but swing and a miss.

Anderson- coming off not just two losses but a brutal KO and then a horrible leg break. And again, 50-45, 50-45, 49-46. How the hell is that a "close fight"?

Honestly it's sort of stunning to me that you are continuing this lunacy. You tried, but it's really time to let it go.

Lunacy? Or stupidity? (Yours, I mean.)

The subject is toughness. Let's see if we can stick to the subject (go back and re-read the OP).

You've been castigating me for saying Nick Diaz was tougher than Tony Ferguson.
You made excuses for Ferguson's tap, the fact he gets dropped multiple times in fights, citing Ferguson's 11-fight winning streak.

I pointed out that Diaz had the same 11-fight win streak as Ferguson, he never tapped, and he's almost never has been dropped, while facing MUCH better competition.

Tony Ferguson gets dropped in almost every fight he's in, he's been submitted, yet he has never faced anyone remotely close to a GOAT candidate.

Oh, and yes, idiot, going the distance with GSP in his prime, never getting dropped or submitted, means Diaz is a tough man. Do you know how many people GSP has dropped or submitted? He was afraid to exchange with Diaz ... and he was nervous about grappling him. GSP is the stronger, faster, more athletic man so he dominated ... but, again, pay attention, the subject is *toughness* and GSP couldn't hurt Diaz and he was getting tired in the end.

Anyway, you can think what you want. You know who's going to start losing? Tony Ferguson.
Speaking of inactivity, the 34-year old Tony has fought about once/year for the last 3 years, his knee is bad, and he gets banged-up.
His loss to Khabib (when they meet) will mark the beginning of Ferguson's own decline. Mark my words and have a good night.

Enson vs Vov
Vov vs OlCol
Foking Matsui yeah Daijiro Matsui IIRC that foker could take a beating
and keep on ticking (living....lol)
That long haired pseudo bodybuilder Goodridge gave CTE (if you saw that fight you know whats up)

Big Nog and Saku of course

Can't say he isn't bothered by it but he can take a punch!
Gaethje is one tough son of a bitch.

How the fuck did I leave him off my list? shit, I feel like I owe the forum a fucking apology... my head was thinking back to older generation but Gaethje is easily as much a warrior as any man who ever laced up the gloves.

Perosh getting massacred by Bader for three rounds was worst than any Diaz or Lawler five rounds fight, because he really had absolutely nothing for Ryan and couldn't even hope for any kind of hailmary finish.

Half the media scored it 30-24, one even went as low as 30-23. And it was before the new rules.

Ryan+Bader+Anthony+Perosh+UFC+Fight+Night+KIAWu2UjEl_l.jpg
It's amazing he is still alive

Oleg Taktarov anybody?

My pick is based on the idea of toughest as in durable and only that. Feel like Oleg in prime yrs could of taken a bat to the back side of the head and keep on walking.

Fighters who take blows that come off spin kicks/high kicks to the head from trained fighters of equal size are extremely rare.

Roy Nelson. The man's head can absorb tremendous amounts of kinetic energy, a fraction of which would kill most of us lol.

Lol @ people saying Tank, he was the quintessential glass cannon.

Too many to name them all

Diaz brothers
Sanchez
Robbie Lawler
GSP has shown toughness, especially against Hendricks
BJ was tough for sure
Dan Henderson
Dan Hardy

Back