Who are the toughest fighters you have seen in MMA in your time as fan?

Enson Innoue yelling that he didn't want the fight stopped after being literally carried to his corner in between rounds because Igor Vovchanchin had bestowed upon him one of the most brutal beating off all time.

Wrong.

Getting knocked down = not as tough as a guy who can take the same shot.

Getting up to continue fighting is tougher than the guy who gets KO'd, but it's not as tough as the guy who keeps coming and never goes down.

The fact that you think Kevin Lee, Dos Anjos, Petis, or Barboza are in the same class as GSP, Penn, Silva, and Shamrock shows some serious brain damage.

Tony being subbed means he's not as good, or as tough, as Diaz ... who's never been subbed or ko'd (only 1 ref stoppage for bleeding).

The subject is "toughness" ...

So in "what world" is the guy who *always* gets knocked down, and the guy who's tapped, "tougher" than the guy who almost never goes down and who has never tapped? :confused:

Um, wrong.

The guy who taps is not as tough as the guy who doesn't tap. When is quitting/submitting "as tough" as the man who doesn't quit/submit?

Tony wasn't an "infant"; he was a full-grown man who gave up.

You live in a fantasy world.

1) Tony's resume is not as good as Nick Diaz, and 2) tapping / getting knocked down all the time is *not* as tough as never tapping and only rarely getting knocked down ... facing better comp to boot.

1. If you are off balance and get knocked down, that has nothing to do with "toughness", which I tried to explain. I hope I don't have to go into more detail than that, it's kind of self explanatory. Please tell me you understand this.

2. Brain damage is right...but it's YOU who has it. WHEN you fight guys matters as much if not more than who they are LOL. Fighting Penn, Shamrock, and Silva WHEN he fought them is NOT as good as beating guys like RDA, Pettis etc WHEN THEY ARE IN THEIR PRIME. Good God, do I actually have to go into depth on this. FFS...

3. Tapping when you are caught in a submission that you cannot escape isn't a lack of toughness, it's simply that you got caught. Yeah, you can decide to go to sleep or allow your arm to be broken etc. but honestly how does that prove you are tough? Tony was new to MMA.

You want to know what else? Your hero Nick was KO'd buddy. Didn't know that huh? Fucking acting like some kind of little pud know it all but..oops. Wanna see him get pounded (as a grown man herp derp) and wobble around like a drunk at bar time? Here you go:

So take your pompous bullshit and try it with some newb white belts or something. Or go reassess your view of the indestructible Nick Diaz.

Son.

15 minutes of this. Enson Just bleed GOAT

1 of the worst slow methodical beatdowns ever, Enson must have been close to death
Enson Innoue yelling that he didn't want the fight stopped after being literally carried to his corner in between rounds because Igor Vovchanchin had bestowed upon him one of the most brutal beating off all time.
Full fight:

(Timestamped; Enson talks about the Vovchanchyn fight)

Last edited:
1. If you are off balance and get knocked down, that has nothing to do with "toughness", which I tried to explain. I hope I don't have to go into more detail than that, it's kind of self explanatory. Please tell me you understand this.

This has nothing to do with anything. Ferguson has been knocked down many times, not just knocked off balance.

2. Brain damage is right...but it's YOU who has it. WHEN you fight guys matters as much if not more than who they are LOL. Fighting Penn, Shamrock, and Silva WHEN he fought them is NOT as good as beating guys like RDA, Pettis etc WHEN THEY ARE IN THEIR PRIME. Good God, do I actually have to go into depth on this. FFS..

Please, clown, screaming in all-capital letters doesn't make a point. Are Lee, Dos Anjos, Petis, or Barboza GOAT candidates?

Wake up and smell the coffee, pal: GSP, Penn, Silva, and Shamrock are.
(And they weren't all passed their primes, either.)

3. Tapping when you are caught in a submission that you cannot escape isn't a lack of toughness, it's simply that you got caught. Yeah, you can decide to go to sleep or allow your arm to be broken etc. but honestly how does that prove you are tough? Tony was new to MMA.

Oh, please. Are you trying to re-define toughness to suit your needs?

"Tony was new to MMA ... " lolol

He got caught and he tapped. Plenty of tougher fighters have not, under the same or worse circumstances.

You want to know what else? Your hero Nick was KO'd buddy. Didn't know that huh? Fucking acting like some kind of little pud know it all but..oops. Wanna see him get pounded (as a grown man herp derp) and wobble around like a drunk at bar time? Here you go:

You got me there ... so should I quote you now, "Diaz was new to MMA" ... lol <Lmaoo>

So take your pompous bullshit and try it with some newb white belts or something. Or go reassess your view of the indestructible Nick Diaz.
Son.

Lol, you sure do have the damnedest case of righteous indignation<45>

You give Tony a pass on tapping (quitting), when Nick's never done so.
You claim Tony was "new to MMA" as an excuse for tapping ... then you post a beginning Diaz bout to justify your opinion.
You've re-defined toughness to include tapping, getting knocked down every fight, etc.
You change the word "tough" to "indestructable," which was never said.
And, finally, you claim Lee, Dos Anjos, Petis, or Barboza are "equal competition" to GSP, Penn, Silva, and Shamrock ...

And then you accuse "me" of pompous bullshit ... lol ... do carry on, genius <45>;)

Sakuraba
Mark Hunt
Big Nog
Heath Herring
Leonard Garcia

Can't say he isn't bothered by it but he can take a punch!

Shogun

Anyone that brings up the Bones fight is a neckbeard.

The guy walked through multiple H bombs...

I dont think anyone can say there is any guy hands down tougher than Fabio Maldonado though

This has nothing to do with anything. Ferguson has been knocked down many times, not just knocked off balance.

Please, clown, screaming in all-capital letters doesn't make a point. Are Lee, Dos Anjos, Petis, or Barboza GOAT candidates?

Wake up and smell the coffee, pal: GSP, Penn, Silva, and Shamrock are.
(And they weren't all passed their primes, either.)

Oh, please. Are you trying to re-define toughness to suit your needs?

"Tony was new to MMA ... " lolol

He got caught and he tapped. Plenty of tougher fighters have not, under the same or worse circumstances.

You got me there ... so should I quote you now, "Diaz was new to MMA" ... lol <Lmaoo>

Lol, you sure do have the damnedest case of righteous indignation<45>

You give Tony a pass on tapping (quitting), when Nick's never done so.
You claim Tony was "new to MMA" as an excuse for tapping ... then you post a beginning Diaz bout to justify your opinion.
You've re-defined toughness to include tapping, getting knocked down every fight, etc.
You change the word "tough" to "indestructable," which was never said.
And, finally, you claim Lee, Dos Anjos, Petis, or Barboza are "equal competition" to GSP, Penn, Silva, and Shamrock ...

And then you accuse "me" of pompous bullshit ... lol ... do carry on, genius <45>;)

Yes or no dumbass, WHEN you fight someone during their career matters? How the fuck am I even having to ask this question?

Gus taking mulitple of Rumble's full force punches on the ground and not going unconscious seald it for me. If that does not make you visit the shadow realm in MMA then i dont know what could.

045_Mirsad_Bektic_vs_Darren_Elkins.0.0.jpg

Not the toughest, but definitely one of them. Dude has taken hella beatens and came back from them as well.

Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira
Wanderlei Silva
Kazushi Sakuraba
Enson Inoue
Frankie Edgar
Fedor Emelianenko
Don Frye
Dan Henderson
Rampage Jackson
Chris Lytle
Robbie Lawler
Diaz Bros

the 2 correct answers here are Mark Hunt and Big Nog.

there is NOBODY who even comes CLOSE to what those 2 guys endured.

taking the punishment both of those guys have taken and dividing it up among normal people, at least 10 normal people would be dead.

BJ and Big Nog

Roy Nelson also takes laughable amounts of punishment in some of his fights and rarely goes down.

2. Brain damage is right...but it's YOU who has it. WHEN you fight guys matters as much if not more than who they are LOL. Fighting Penn, Shamrock, and Silva WHEN he fought them is NOT as good as beating guys like RDA, Pettis etc WHEN THEY ARE IN THEIR PRIME. Good God, do I actually have to go into depth on this. FFS...

Son.

Haven't seen this in a longggggg time. He was trying to be slick with the Philly shell and paid for it. Good thing his boxing has gotten much better, that technique is for the advanced of the advanced.

Full fight:

(Timestamped; Enson talks about the Vovchanchyn fight)

They would never allow that in the UFC. That would have been stopped way before the end of the round

Yes or no dumbass, WHEN you fight someone during their career matters? How the fuck am I even having to ask this question?

Answer my questions first, genius:

1) Truly tough fighters a) tap or b) don't tap?
2) Truly tough fighters a) get knocked down all the time or b) rarely, if ever, get knocked down?
3) Truly great competition = a) front-running contenders, who never really got there, or b) multi-division Champions and GOAT candidates?

Spit out the answers, genius. Then I'll answer your stupid, rhetorical question.

I have seen Mark Hunt take some ridiculous punishments. He can absorp pain. I can attest to that. his one tough creature

Last edited:
As fight fan I have watched MMA for almost 10 years on and off and there is alot of tough guys in MMA but when it comes down to actual toughness for me I judge that for who can get hit hardest and keep going forward or these who can endure ridiculous amount of beatings or punishment and never get bothered by it.

Example: Bendo vs Nate Diaz because in that fight I realize how tough Nate is because he was fighting a way better fighter in Prime bendo who is arguable one of the best LWs ever and nightmare match-up for him. Bendo dished out a very hardcore punishment on Nate for 5 rounds but Nate was never bothered by it and he took it like a champ. 99% of fighters would have been finished from such one-sided fights where the punishment is severe.

I have seen Nick do the same pretty much. riding thru the punishment and pain like it was nothing and also very difficult to stop and nearly impossible to the point you have to kill him to stop him. They fight with tremendous heart. Nick Diaz is the honey badger of MMA because he can just take so much punishment and keep going.

In my opinion they are the toughest guys who have ever stepped inside the octagon by a large margin
SAKU G.
Hoyce
Hoyler
DaPunkMinowahMan (A Brave Man, A Legend. RIP)
Big Nog

Last edited:
Back