Who are the russians rooting for?

If I'm not mistaken in conflict between Kadyrov and Fedor he sided with Kadyrov and people don't like him for that and being not just some guy that close to Kadyrov, but Kadyrov calls him his friend.

Yeah, that was after Fedor publicly denounced the kids MMA fight in Chechnya. Then his daughter got attacked in Moscow shortly after.

I'm sure there's a lot more Russian posters on here, but they don't go into detail how fucked up that 'alliance' Putin and Kadyrov and his Father before him had.

I think Nurmagomedov has to be careful with what he says and not say anything political - but after his last fight, he asked Putin to release his sponsor from prison who set up his Eagles gym and paid his expenses. That could be a reason why Nurmagomedov is even more invested in making serious money. As well as that, someone close to him is in some legal difficulty over unpaid child support and has pending cases (allegedly) which the money made from the fight would be a big burden off his shoulders.

Khabib is supposedly Russian but from Dagestan, which I believe has a deep history with Russia, and I was under the inpression Russia is kinda racist and if you look around, Conor is the one whos getting invited by Putin, not the other way around

So Russians, who are you guys pulling for
fuck Russia. and anybody rocking with them.

giphy.gif

If we are talking actual Russians, and not regions controlled by Russia then a majority of Russians will support Conor. Khabib is not Russian by ethnicity but says that he is for political and promotional purposes. I think most Russians don't have a clue who he is, and most of those that do, do not consider him to be Russian. I'm very sure that far more Russians know who Conor is and like him.

Actually it's 55,5% to 44,5% for Conor which means Conor is winning this poll. The most popular russian MMA source is "Best of MMA" and the amount of conor fans there is way bigger which is easy to spot
valetudo.ru is for hardcores. best of MMA is a casual resource.
So is it mainstream? Or main television channels? Like football?
Where do they show ACB? UFC? All the other "Decent and competitive" promotions?
well, they show UFC's on main national sports channel Match TV live and for free. they also show bigger ACB and FNG shows there.
And they have Match Boyets (Fighter) for more boxing and MMA content.

Really? What a shame. What's her name?
Olga Buzova, and it is one of her best photos, would not recommend further research. We have much hotter celebrities.

True about Best of MMA. But it is a shitty format for being just a group on Russian Facebook clone (vk.com). I was not able to find the poll unfortunately.

Even some my friends muslim wrestlers from Caucasus areas root for McGregor.

Putin and even Khabib's dad is rooting for Conor. Conor will let Putin stay in one of his homes during the next fight.

Everything that you've said is correct, people like to point out and hate him for the reasons listed above. Trash talk, certain inconsistencies in the statements he makes, the fact that he doesn't come out with russian flag, relations with Kadyrov, all of those things get mentioned quite often. The latest incident with push ups and homeless people comes to mind too, people in Russia are furious about that. However the majority of them still supports Conor who is a certified bully, trash talker and has done worse things in his life like attacking the bus full of innocent people, women included. So the fans give pass to Conor for his actions yet they furiously hate Khabib for his "trash talk" and arrogance. Typical double standarts. The way I see it is that disaffection between slavic russians and dagestanis is the real reason why he is so disliked. It's a common phenomenon for russians to root for americans and against caucasian fighters. Caucasian muslim fighters in general get a lot of undeserved hate. Khabib had tons of haters and doubters even back in 14-15 before his relations with Kadyrov and all that other stuff.

It's clear that he represents Dagestan first and foremost but he also emphasises that he represents Russia too. He's always been polite and respectful towards russian fans (mentioned and thanked them after his victories for instance) but the vast majority of those fans have never had the same friendly approach towards him.
I think Slavic Russians root for guys like Mustafaev, Ruslan Magomedov, Rashid Magomedov, Ankalaev, Emeev.

Russia is not a nation state but a plurinational confederation. There's tension between many groups and pretty much all of them have a bad history.
In fact calling Khabib russian is already iffy

That is simply false. Russia is a federation, not confederation. The difference is significant. Khabib doesn't travel the world with Dagestani passport, but Russian and his nationality is Russian, it is just that ethnically he is Avarian from the federal subject of Dagestan.

BTW the percentage of ethically Russians in Russia is the same as ethnically Germans in Germany. That is about 81%. So Russia is just as "Russian" as Germany is "German". There is of course very large number of different ethnic groups in Russia, but almost all are small.

That is simply false. Russia is a federation, not confederation. The difference is significant. Khabib doesn't travel the world with Dagestani passport, but Russian and his nationality is Russian, it is just that ethnically he is Avarian from the federal subject of Dagestan.

BTW the percentage of ethically Russians in Russia is the same as ethnically Germans in Germany. That is about 81%. So Russia is just as "Russian" as Germany is "German". There is of course very large number of different ethnic groups in Russia, but almost all are small.
Citizenship=/= Nationality

im actually in in the Caucasus now, backpacking in Georgia close to the Dagestan border.....the people here look very very Khabib! ill ask 'em!

This one is definitely rooting for Khabib. Fuck McGregor.

The Caususian people are hardly Russian, are hardly a boon on Russia, and are part of the Confederation for political reasons. Russians in Russia will likely be split, if not pro-Conor.

As a New York-dwelling Russian Jew, I will be rooting for the cocky Irishman over the devout Muslim who does nothing but fight and cavort with Islamic dictators, thank you.

And what DOES Khabib's wife look like? Is she allowed to leave the house?

Honestly, the Chechen/Dagestani people are really frightening, backwards, and highly dangerous. No, Russians will not likely care much for Khabib.

Back