Who are the russians rooting for?

In general, Slavic Russians aren't quick to root for people from the Caucasus. Major generalization btw. They seem to prefer Conor more because he is a chav. No offense.

connor isnt a chav.

I think Khabib is hated not because he is Avar or from Dagestan but for his style (I think lot of Russian mma watchers is not a fans of wrestling/sambo and stuff), his trash talk (like he when he was shitting on Pettis, on RDA that RDA is paper champ and Khabib is true champ), his connections to criminals and posts on social media in support of his criminal or Islamic terrorist friends, his lies (said that he is not gonna fight in Russia because he fights only at main cards of PPV events, then says that if his father wants, he will fight in Russia (I think he said even for free), then he and his father says that fighting in Russia doesn't make sense because they are gonna lose a lot of PPV money if title defense happens in Moscow), I think he lso said that he is ready to fight McGregor for free and now he says that if UFC want this fight to happen they should pay him same money as to McGregor.
Also I think problem with his social media - when tragedies in Russia happens he mostly ignores them, but when something happens to Muslims in Myanmar, he asks people to go to Myanmar's embassy to protest, also not so long ago I've seen something like he posted something about Budanov's killer who recently died and seems like those who are not from Caucasus didn't take this kindly. If I'm not mistaken in conflict between Kadyrov and Fedor he sided with Kadyrov and people don't like him for that and being not just some guy that close to Kadyrov, but Kadyrov calls him his friend.

Everything that you've said is correct, people like to point out and hate him for the reasons listed above. Trash talk, certain inconsistencies in the statements he makes, the fact that he doesn't come out with russian flag, relations with Kadyrov, all of those things get mentioned quite often. The latest incident with push ups and homeless people comes to mind too, people in Russia are furious about that. However the majority of them still supports Conor who is a certified bully, trash talker and has done worse things in his life like attacking the bus full of innocent people, women included. So the fans give pass to Conor for his actions yet they furiously hate Khabib for his "trash talk" and arrogance. Typical double standarts. The way I see it is that disaffection between slavic russians and dagestanis is the real reason why he is so disliked. It's a common phenomenon for russians to root for americans and against caucasian fighters. Caucasian muslim fighters in general get a lot of undeserved hate. Khabib had tons of haters and doubters even back in 14-15 before his relations with Kadyrov and all that other stuff.
But I think he also receives some shit for being not patriotic - he says that he repsents Dagestan and stuff but doesn't walkout with Russian flag or bing it in octagon and in interviews he hardly remembers that he is Russian citizen it's his father who mostly mentions that Khabib is from Russia, Russian citizen or before his title fight, his father was saying that Khabib is gonna be first Russian (in terms of citizenship) champ in the UFC.

It's clear that he represents Dagestan first and foremost but he also emphasises that he represents Russia too. He's always been polite and respectful towards russian fans (mentioned and thanked them after his victories for instance) but the vast majority of those fans have never had the same friendly approach towards him.

Conor, pretty sure Khabib is one of those dudes we were blowing up from AC-130s in one of the CoD games

to tell you the truth, most people don't care. MMA is not a mainstream sport in Russia

To get that it is needed to see the polls on russian sites. Typically, the ones that root for a fighter vote for his victory.
For example as of today Sport-Express which is the largest "live" newspaper shows the following results of the poll based on 8132 people votes:
Connor TKO or Submussion: 22.8%
Connor by points: 7.9%
Khabib by TKO or submission: 34%
Khabib by points: 17.7%
The boy will be canceled: 17.6%

That is roughly 37% vote for Connor and 63% vote for Khabib.
You also can check the link (see vote at the end of article):
https://www.sport-express.ru/martia...iv-konora-vse-chto-nuzhno-znat-o-boe-1442112/

2. Largest mma forum in Russia is valetudo.ru. There are much more ethnic russians there, and the administration is also anti-Khabib oriented. Therefore Dagestani fighters do not give it interview anymore. So it shows the following poll results:
Connor wins - 44.5%
Khabib wins - 55.5%
Link is:
https://forum.valetudo.ru/showthread.php?t=26216

As you can see above, Connor is competitively famous in Russia for his loud style, more exciting striking fighting approach and that he can beat a non-russian ethnicity Khabib.

to tell you the truth, most people don't care. MMA is not a mainstream sport in Russia
That's not true, it's quite mainstream. There are 5 decent promotions such as ACB, FNG, RCC,M-1 and WFCA and a couple of smaller organisations too. They get a lot of coverage and attention. Just to give an example an event like ACB 77 had 6 million views (it was free TV but still). The UFC is very popular too

Last edited:
That's not true, it's quite mainstream. There are 5 decent and competitive promotions such as ACB, FNG, RCC,M-1 and WFCA and a couple of smaller organisations too. They get a lot of coverage and attention. Just to give an example an event like ACB 77 had 6 million views (it was free TV but still). The UFC is very popular too

So is it mainstream? Or main television channels? Like football?
Where do they show ACB? UFC? All the other "Decent and competitive" promotions?

2. Largest mma forum in Russia is valetudo.ru. There are much more ethnic russians there, and the administration is also anti-Khabib oriented. Therefore Dagestani fighters do not give it interview anymore. So it shows the following poll results:
Connor wins - 44.5%
Khabib wins - 55.5%
Link is:
https://forum.valetudo.ru/showthread.php?t=26216
Actually it's 55,5% to 44,5% for Conor which means Conor is winning this poll. The most popular russian MMA source is "Best of MMA" and the amount of conor fans there is way bigger which is easy to spot

And there is jokes that Khabib is gay and Tukhugov is his boyfriend. There is even photoshopped pictures from Khabib's wedding with Tukhugov as his wife. And I've seen comments that even on social media people from Dagestan jokes about Khabib-Tukhugov relationship.

Try to find a picture of one female on khabib's Instagram, it's a harder task than GSPs IG

Also remember Putin invited Conor to visit him at the world cup, not. Khabib

Khabib is a Muslim. The religion of Islam is trash.

Therefore most don’t like him.

Khabib is supposedly Russian but from Dagestan, which I believe has a deep history with Russia, and I was under the inpression Russia is kinda racist and if you look around, Conor is the one whos getting invited by Putin, not the other way around

So Russians, who are you guys pulling for

Putin invites everybody that can boost his rating.
Khabib is by far better preferred in Russia. Conor has fans too.

Russians hate Dagestan... That's for sure.

Dagestan is an integral part (region) of Russia. So by saying this it looks like Dagestanis hate Dagestanis.

And there is jokes that Khabib is gay and Tukhugov is his boyfriend. There is even photoshopped pictures from Khabib's wedding with Tukhugov as his wife. And I've seen comments that even on social media people from Dagestan jokes about Khabib-Tukhugov relationship.

Khabib's wife is actually really good looking

Screen-Shot-2017-03-09-at-6.24.01-PM.png

But who knows, maybe he slipped tukhugov under that gown

wHyMZAiWb2Q.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back