Who are GOAT gatekeepers?

Ryan Bader comes to mind
Diaz Brothers

Not that it wasn't a great accomplishment, but the relevancy lingers on Pride and UFC... Just ask Uriah Faber.
Do u know how many HOFers were in Rings, compared to Faber´s run?

Do u know how many HOFers were in Rings, compared to Faber´s run?
Sure, it was epic, and I have the tapes, but you're really splitting hairs by calling up Rings.

For me it's about UFC and Pride, and he was probably the GOAT gatekeeper in Pride because he only ever got beaten by dudes that went on to be champ apart from at the end... He even had a very questionable loss against Fedor back in the day.

I say he's a gatekeeper and that Rings was awesome but it doesn't count here.

Also, why did this thread get wastelanded?

For me he's the definition of a Gatekeeper... Only ever lost to champions (Soak-A-Jew notwithstanding), and he blocked a shitload of dude's path to a titleshot - that's a gatekeeper - albeit a very good one.

Guess it depends on how you define gatekeeper.

I generally think of it as people who are perpetually stuck in the mid-to-later part of the top 10, they can't beat the elite of the division but they weed out the rest.

I.e. More guys like OSP, Corey Anderson, Derrick Lewis, Poirier, Michael Johnson, etc. rather than guys like Gustaffson, Teixeira, Overeem, Romero, Jacare.

Guess it depends on how you define gatekeeper.

I generally think of it as people who are perpetually stuck in the mid-to-later part of the top 10, they can't beat the elite of the division but they weed out the rest.

I.e. More guys like OSP, Corey Anderson, Derrick Lewis, Poirier, Michael Johnson, etc. rather than guys like Gustaffson, Teixeira, Overeem, Romero, Jacare.

For me the guys like OSP Corey Anderson are just dudes along for the ride... Poirer less so, and Lewis and Johnson still seem to have potential, but will most likely stay as they are.

Texeira, Jacare, Overeem are great examples too... Romeo still has a good chance. I like the second group better as gatekeepers - Elite fighters that weed out everyone but the very best without actually winning the biggest titles.

For me the guys like OSP Corey Anderson are just dudes along for the ride... Poirer less so, and Lewis and Johnson still seem to have potential, but will most likely stay as they are.

Texeira, Jacare, Overeem are great examples too... Romeo still has a good chance. I like the second group better as gatekeepers - Elite fighters that weed out everyone but the very best without actually winning the biggest titles.

By your defition though... every LHW in the last 7 years has been a gatekeeper, as was every HW from 2002-2010, and every Flyweight since existence, and every FW for all of the years Aldo was champ.

It doesn't seem to have any meaning when every fighter in the division but the champ is a gatekeeper.

By your defition though... every LHW in the last 7 years has been a gatekeeper, as was every HW from 2002-2010, and every Flyweight since existence, and every FW for all of the years Aldo was champ.

It doesn't seem to have any meaning when every fighter in the division but the champ is a gatekeeper.

You misunderstand.

Not guys who lost to people who aren't champ material... A gatekeeper only loses to champs - it's an honour.

Dudes like OSP and Corey Anderson lose all the time. They're not strong enough to keep a gate.

You misunderstand.

Not guys who lost to people who aren't champ material... A gatekeeper only loses to champs - it's an honour.

Dudes like OSP and Corey Anderson lose all the time. They're not strong enough to keep a gate.

Usually gatekeepers are the gate to championship contention.

Champs --> contenders --> gatekeepers --> journeymen/prospects

easy.
frankie eager.

eager beat cub swason when he was on a win streak. beat yair who was undefeated. can't beat aldo two times.
has also beaten chad mendes, uriah faber and jeremy stephens.

legit gatekeeper of featherweight. no else is better gate keeping them him.

Sure, it was epic, and I have the tapes, but you're really splitting hairs by calling up Rings.

For me it's about UFC and Pride, and he was probably the GOAT gatekeeper in Pride because he only ever got beaten by dudes that went on to be champ apart from at the end... He even had a very questionable loss against Fedor back in the day.

I say he's a gatekeeper and that Rings was awesome but it doesn't count here.

Also, why did this thread get wastelanded?
IMO Hearring fits more here.

Arona stopped his career b4 becomin´one, actually.

Michael Bisping ....belt means nothing.
Roy Nelson/ Mark Hunt
Keith Jardine/ Forest Griffin/ Stephan Bonnar
Cerrone/Diaz brothers

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back