Whittaker vs Rockhold

Niels

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
So Whittaker vs Rockhold

Who gets the win and how (round, tko/ko, submission, dec.)?

If he beats Luke that´s 9 wins in a row, and his last 4 opponents being Brunson, Souza, Romero and Rockhold (if it happens). Absolutely amazing streak.

Whittaker out-strikes him and wins late in the second via head-kick on Rockhold's soft head.

I give Rockhold the edge. People forgot how good this man really is.

I give Rockhold the edge. People forgot how good this man really is.
how?

will he close distance on Whittaker's fast feet and quick hands? and land but not get countered hard?

will he get a clinch? how?

will he get a takedown? how? certainly not from a double leg. a clinch trip maybe?

will he outstrike him? if so, from a distance (like legkicks in the Jacare fight from a lifetime ago?)

i've thought for most of the last two years that Rockhold is still the best fighter in the division. but seeing Whittaker's last few bouts, i'm not so sure anymore.

i think he's top 2 though. and finding out the answers to my questions make this fight awesome.

Whittaker TKOs Rockhold in R2, goes on to clean the division, and goes on to become the new MW GOAT.

Fuck man, you’re one of those guys... go on feeling good about yourself on the fucking internet. I just wanted peoples opinions
then you could just use sherdog search tool and use the 15+ page thread about Whittaker x Rockhold to read about it, cya

how?

will he close distance on Whittaker's fast feet and quick hands? and land but not get countered hard?

will he get a takedown? how? certainly not from a double leg. a clinch trip maybe?

will he outstrike him? if so, from a distance (like legkicks in the Jacare fight from a lifetime ago?)

i've thought for most of the last two years that Rockhold is still the best fighter in the division. but seeing Whittaker's last few bouts, i'm not so sure anymore. he's definitely top 3 though.
I feel like motivated and not underestimating Rockhold can win against anyone in the division. But so can Robert so... i’m really excited for that fight tbh

I feel like motivated and not underestimating Rockhold can win against anyone in the division. But so can Robert so... i’m really excited for that fight tbh

so, first off, welcome to Sherdog.

but second, "hi, i think so-and-so will win" is not quality fight analysis.

i don't underestimate him. but i am curious how others see his path to victory.

including you. how do you see him winning? specifics, not "i just have a feeling he's good enough to win". thanks.

how?

i've thought for most of the last two years that Rockhold is still the best fighter in the division. but seeing Whittaker's last few bouts, i'm not so sure anymore.

i think he's top 2 though. and finding out the answers to my questions make this fight awesome.
He has to fight him long and keep him at bay with his rear kicks, straight and check hook. He can't fight an inside fight against Rob. Luke's kicks are so powerful, he just needs to set them up more. If he manages to get Rob on the ground it will get ugly really quick. On top of that Luke is a gigantic MW, which will play a role. I have it 55/45 Luke.

He has to fight him long and keep him at bay with his rear kicks, straight and check hook. He can't fight an inside fight against Rob. Luke's kicks are so powerful, he just needs to set them up more. If he manages to get Rob on the ground it will get ugly really quick. On top of that Luke is a gigantic MW, which will play a role. I have it 55/45 Luke.
ya it certainly worked against Jacare (though it was about 50/50 on sherdog then who thought who should have won).

from what i can tell though, leg kicks have not been much of his go to since then though. an option, sure, but he hasn't relied on staying away and using them like that, ever since.

but i think you're right. Whittaker is powerful and his hands are fast. coming in on him could prove dangerous.

unless he gets in fast and secures a clinch trip.

great fight. thinking about it makes me a little wet.

so, first off, welcome to Sherdog.

but second, "hi, i think so-and-so will win" is not quality fight analysis.

i don't underestimate him. but i am curious how others see his path to victory.

including you. how do you see him winning? specifics, not "i just have a feeling he's good enough to win". thanks.
If Rockhold would get away with the win I feel like it would be in the 2nd or 3rd round ,after keeping robert at a distance with kicks and this time using his reach more wisely. After this he’ll find a gap for a takedown and ground and pound Robert. If he survives the G&P, robert’s striking won’t be the same so he’ll either get finished ,after another takedown, by strikes from the mount or a sub.

ya it certainly worked against Jacare (though it was about 50/50 on sherdog then who thought who should have won).

from what i can tell though, leg kicks have not been much of his go to since then though. an option, sure, but he hasn't relied on staying away and using them like that, ever since.

but i think you're right. Whittaker is powerful and his hands are fast. coming in on him could prove dangerous.

unless he gets in fast and secures a clinch trip.

great fight. thinking about it makes me a little wet.
His main weapon kicking wise will be that body kick. It's massive. If he keeps on spamming it Rob could lower his hands, Luke can fake the body kick and come upstairs instead. But i think Rob is too concentrated for that.

Back