Whittaker is rightfully above Mousasi

thanks, but i knew that already

I know I'm in the extreme minority but I have Whittaker above Romero too. I made a thread about this a few weeks ago.

Whittaker > Romero > Mousasi

The Jacare win was amazing. But Romero should not have to fight Whittaker to get a title shot, mousasi shouldnt have to fight Rockhold and Whittaker should not have to fight Romero. If the UFC wasn't busy feeding their entire retirement home to Bisping this would not have been a problem.

As a big Mousasi fan, I agree. Whittaker is the rightful #2 behind Yoel. Whittaker/Romero for interim title and Rockhold/Mousasi for #1 contender makes perfect sense.

Bisping/GSP can have their little fantasy match this Fall while the real contenders fight it out.
They can have no fantasy match if there's an interim champion, because the latter would be the glorified #1 contender. The whole point of the interim belt would be to sort out this fuckery and get Bisping in there with a real contender, not to make it a bigger mess by allowing the champion to skip a unification bout on top of avoided defenses against legitimate opponents.

This is a good problem for the UFC to have. Too many great MW

As a big Mousasi fan, I agree. Whittaker is the rightful #2 behind Yoel. Whittaker/Romero for interim title and Rockhold/Mousasi for #1 contender makes perfect sense.

Bisping/GSP can have their little fantasy match this Fall while the real contenders fight it out.
cant see how luke/gegard would be for #1 contender if the interim belt winner is the rightful #1 contender and would likely have to wait until spring/early summer next year to fight bisping if he fights GSP in Nov/Dec.

cant see how luke/gegard would be for #1 contender if the interim belt winner is the rightful #1 contender and would likely have to wait until spring/early summer next year to fight bisping if he fights GSP in Nov/Dec.
Solution : strip duckping

Mousasi is known for running from hard matchups.

He probably shit his pants and hid under the bed when dana texted him yoel.
You now hè wantend to fight Anthony Johnson a few monts ago. And hè fought at HW versus Hunt, and fought Melvin Manhoef etc etc.

I see lots of people whining about the Romero/Whittaker possibility saying that it should be Mousasi instead
But Whittaker absolutely deserves it more.
He's on a 7 fight win streak, and in it the fighters were all coming of impressives wins, Hall was coming off the Mousasi TKO, Brunson was in a crazy KO streak and I don't need to say a thing about Jacare

Meanwhile Mousasi faces Hall, old Belfort and Weidman that were all coming of KO losses and is all sudden ahead of Bobby Knuckles?
I love Mousasi but you make a great point

Well Whittaker just finished Jacare. Mousasi got finished by Jacare. It's mma math, but makes sense.

Running might be too strong.

he does stumble around in a half conscious haze til he gets the dogshit beaten out of him, though

0Xd912.gif
Right, remind me again of all those times he's been KO'd. Oh wait.

Take an actual look at Whittakers last 7 wins...

Mike Rhodes - 0 and 3 in the UFC, no longer in the UFC
Clint Hester - 3 fight losing streak currently, no real big wins in the UFC
Brad Tavares - 2 and 3 in his last 5. Last stoppage win was vs Baroni in 2011.
Uriah Hall - 3 fight losing streak currently, biggest win was a fluke tko on Mousasi who proved he was the better fight when he avenged the loss. Hall isn't consistent with winning.
Rafael Natal - on a 2 fight losing streak, biggest win was a split decision over Uriah Hall
Derek Brunson - on a 2 fight losing streak, biggest win was KO over Uriah Hall or possibly over Lorenz Larkin. I'd say this was a good legit win, but nothing i'd consider extremely impressive.
Jacare - His biggest win, which is why everyone is gushing over him. His greatest victory thus far.

He really only has 2 wins that are legit/impressive vs Brunson and Jacare. The rest are meh.

Now look at Mousasi... I'll leave out the impressive wins back in the day, like Hunt, OSP, and Jacare.

Currently he fought:

Leites - Legit top 10 contender, long career and has challenged for the title.
Santos - Meh, average fighter, nothing special, although he does have a KO win over Marquardt
Belfort - Easily handled him. KO victory against top 5/10 fighter. Belfort is a legend of the sport and a truly accomplished fighter. Doing what he did wasn't an easy task.
Hall - avenged his loss and proved the first fight was a fluke happening. Hall was never that good.
Weidman - Previous champ, top 5 fighter. It's too bad it ended the way it did, but Mousasi was never in trouble in the fight, and managed to hurt Weidman before the controversial stoppage that was in fact a legit win.

And if you erase the fluke loss against Hall that he avenged, he also has wins against:

Philippou - average fighter
Dan Henderson - another legend of the sport, previous champion of multiple divisions, and just fought for the belt and arguable won that fight... And Mousasi managed to stop Henderson by TKO. Pretty impressive as Dan is tough as shit.

So honestly, Mousasi has the better wins, is the better fighter, and has a much better career.

Whittaker is up there, but I still feel he's another two top 5 fight away from a title shot with the state that the division is in right now. Skipping over Mousasi is criminal.

They're both amazing fighters. I'd be stoked with either matchup though i do think Whittaker deserves it a bit more based off his last couple of fights.

Of course he is it shouldnt even be up for discussion

If it means Mousasi vs. Rockhold then its all good. The winner of that can get the shot after Romero vs. Whittaker winner gets theirs. Bispings on borrowed time with those four mofos and Im very intrigued by any combination of fights made with them. Mousasis toughest test in the division is Rockhold imo.

Whittaker is about Mousasi. Moose has lost most of his big fights.

He was also hardly impressive v Weidman. He can have a title shot if he beats Rockhold.

It's arguable who's streak is more impressive. For the interim title shot, though, I like Moose more cause of his experience and involvement with MMA. UFC probably feel the same, but since they haven't yet resigned him, they'll give it Bobby Knuckles. Which I'm fine with, too. Cause I like both fighters.

Back