Whitebelts spazzing at their finest

And if you're good enough as a white belt to be beating a blue belt etc, then you shouldn't be a white belt anymore, so all that's happened is your instructor has been slow to promote you.

and then you get people on this very board bitching about the lack of integrity when people get promoted too quickly. can't please this place, no wonder I stopped coming around

and then you get people on this very board bitching about the lack of integrity when people get promoted too quickly. can't please this place, no wonder I stopped coming around

Yeah, I've never really understood why people care about what rank someone else has. In wrestling (where I started) there are no ranks at all. A beginner's world championship seems like a contradiction in terms. World champion means best in the world, period.

And yet you don't see this any other sport. There's no beginners world championships in soccer, basketball, hockey, tennis, track and field, swimming, gymnastics, wrestling, boxing ....

And if you're good enough as a white belt to be beating a blue belt etc, then you shouldn't be a white belt anymore, so all that's happened is your instructor has been slow to promote you.

Almost as a rule, the winner of the whitebelt division is a sandbagger (perhaps his coach's fault, but regardless the whitebelt top competitors would be blues in most gyms.)

Ironically, no one gives a shit about who won the whitelbelt division, and ultimately it will retard their development. All those full-time quasi-professional whitebelts should accept a promotion as soon as possible and go test themselves against better blues. Iron sharpens iron, as they say, so sandbagging in the whitebelt division is beyond stupid.

Also, did I read correctly - there were 5 competitors in that division? Sorry, you aren't world champ if only 5 local competitors showed up.

Yeah, I've never really understood why people care about what rank someone else has. In wrestling (where I started) there are no ranks at all. A beginner's world championship seems like a contradiction in terms. World champion means best in the world, period.

Yes, but ranks help when you didn't start as a junior and have no chance of being competitive with the top folks. One could start BJJ at 30 and compete for the next 10 years as he rose through the ranks.

Start wrestling at age 30, and enter a match and I assume you'll be thrown over the grandstand.

Yes, but ranks help when you didn't start as a junior and have no chance of being competitive with the top folks. One could start BJJ at 30 and compete for the next 10 years as he rose through the ranks.

Start wrestling at age 30, and enter a match and I assume you'll be thrown over the grandstand.

Fair point - I guess I take it for granted (started both wrestling and then judo in elementary school).

And in fact, for exactly the reason you mention, no one starts wrestling at 30. In fact, only national level wrestlers are still competing at 30; even most people who started as kids have quit competition by then (though many still coach).

white belts shouldn't even have int competitions. local ones are enough.

white belts shouldn't even have int competitions. local ones are enough.

Look, those guys spent like 3-4 years of hard work, winning everything in the beginners division for years in a row, and now you don't want those experienced guys to compete at the highest level.

What's next, white belts winning after only a couple of months training, those worthless beginners will shine instead of the mighty veteran white belts...

No one mentions that in the real fight none of them used BJJ. That's what the gi does to ya mate.

No one mentions that in the real fight none of them used BJJ. That's what the gi does to ya mate.

I was going to mention that but didn't want to some how drag this into "sport vs. street" which is where into the weeds I think that would venture.

Look, those guys spent like 3-4 years of hard work, winning everything in the beginners division for years in a row, and now you don't want those experienced guys to compete at the highest level.

What's next, white belts winning after only a couple of months training, those worthless beginners will shine instead of the mighty veteran white belts...

they spent 3-4 years doing BJJ and they are still white belts?

At the end of the day it all basically comes down too a question of; do you want to give people status for sandbagging? And most people i think would like to answer, 'no'.

The way i see it, one way to handle it would be to have winning a 'national level' wb comp means automatic promotion to blue (and slot into blue belt worlds if you like). Being not so much as a reward, as much as a control valve, rather (and thus no such thing as 'world' wb competition).

I.E., 'good job and all but i think it's about time you mosied on out of here, partner'.

Last edited:
they spent 3-4 years doing BJJ and they are still white belts?

Look at the skill level of those guys, they're not in their first 2 years of grappling for sure.

Even in local competition, you see guys competing at white belt that had won the same medal 2 years before...

There's a shit load of sandbagging at white belts and blue belt is even worse, organized by the coaches or just because the guys was changing gyms all the time, was doing a lot of no gi or MMA...

I prefer the no gi method (that's what we have in my area) which is all about experience. If you still suck after 4 years, your stuck in advanced, no contamination of the beginners.

Lol, I was at a tournament last year and I saw two white belts grab each others sleeves and then proceed to do an epic minute long battle rope competition thrashing each other about by their sleeves.

Isn't the problem that the skilled competitors are promoted to slow and the unskilled hobbyists are promoted too fast/at all.

Last edited:
And yet you don't see this any other sport. There's no beginners world championships in soccer, basketball, hockey, tennis, track and field, swimming, gymnastics, wrestling, boxing ....

And yet some of those sports have much deeper level of skills than BJJ. Having beginners divisions is common, most sports have it. Having a beginner's world championship is meaningless. World champion means best in the world. World champion white belt means millions of blue belts, purple belts, brown belts, and BB are better than you.

This doesn't sound right.

Being the best white belt in the world means you are the best bjj practiontioer with 1-2 years of training. And frankly, I'm 101% positive whoever the white belt world champ of 2018 would absolutely wipe the floor with me even though I'm a "blue belt".

It means something, same as blue belt world champ means something too. I don't look at it strictly as belts rather than the best with x range of years training bjj.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back