white women told to check their privilege at million woman anti-trump march

stellarborg

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Many thousands of women are expected to converge on the nation’s capital for the Women’s March on Washington the day after Donald J. Trump’s inauguration. Jennifer Willis no longer plans to be one of them.

Ms. Willis, a 50-year-old wedding minister from South Carolina, had looked forward to taking her daughters to the march. Then she read a post on the Facebook page of one of the march's organizers that made her feel unwelcome because she is white.

For some people, their outlook of this country deeply changed on November 9th. For the rest of us, this is how it has always looked.

I want to remind you that that is a privilege.
It’s a privilege that white supremacy wasn’t at the forefront of your reality, because you benefit from it.

I want to remind you that no ally ever got very far, in any movement, without acknowledgement of their own privilege daily. You do not just get to join the efforts that people of color have been working for their entire lives to both teach and survive, without doing work, too. You don’t just get to join because now you’re scared, too. I was born scared.
Now is the time for you to be listening more, talking less, spend time observing, taking in media and art created by people of color, researching, and unlearning the things you have been taught about this country. You should be reading our books and understanding the roots of racism and white supremacy. Listening to our speeches. You should be drowning yourselves in our poetry. Now is the time that you should be exposed to more than just the horrors of this country, but also the beauty that has always existed within communities of color. Beauty that was covered over because the need to see white faces depicted was more important.

Now is the time to teach your children, to call out your family, to finally speak up. You have been silent for long enough. Now is the time to realize that you should have joined us sooner. But since you’re here now, it’s time to get to work.

“This is a women’s march,” she said. “Why is it now about, ‘White women don’t understand black women’?”

In Tennessee, emotions ran high when organizers changed the name of the local march from “Women’s March on Washington-Nashville” to “Power Together Tennessee, in solidarity with Women’s March on Washington.” While many applauded the name change, which was meant to signal the start of a new social justice movement in Nashville, some complained that the event had turned from a march for all women into a march for black women.

In Louisiana, the first state coordinator gave up her volunteer role in part because there were no minority women in leadership positions at that time.

“I got a lot of flak locally when I stepped down, from white women who said that I’m alienating a lot of white women,” said Candice Huber, a bookstore owner in New Orleans, who is white. “They said, ‘Why do you have to be so divisive?’”

In some ways, the discord is by design. Even as they are working to ensure a smooth and unified march next week, the national organizers said they made a deliberate decision to highlight the plight of minority and undocumented immigrant women and provoke uncomfortable discussions about race.

“This was an opportunity to take the conversation to the deep places,” said Linda Sarsour, a Muslim who heads the Arab American Association of New York and is one of four co-chairwomen of the national march. “Sometimes you are going to upset people.”

The post that offended Ms. Willis was part of that effort. So was the quotation posted on the march’s Facebook page from Bell Hooks, the black feminist, about forging a stronger sisterhood by “confronting the ways women — through sex, class and race — dominated and exploited other women.”

In response, a New Jersey woman wrote: “I’m starting to feel not very welcome in this endeavor.”

A debate then ensued about whether white women were just now experiencing what minority women experience daily, or were having a hard time yielding control. A young white woman from Baltimore wrote with bitterness that white women who might have been victims of rape and abuse were being “asked to check their privilege,” a catchphrase that refers to people acknowledging their advantages, but which some white liberal women find unduly confrontational.

For too long, the march organizers said, the women’s rights movement focused on issues that were important to well-off white women, such as the ability to work outside the home and attain the same high-powered positions that men do. But minority women, they said, have had different priorities. Black women who have worked their whole lives as maids might care more about the minimum wage or police brutality than about seeing a woman in the White House. Undocumented immigrant women might care about abortion rights, they said, but not nearly as much as they worry about being deported.

This brand of feminism — frequently referred to as “intersectionality” — asks white women to acknowledge that they have had it easier.

Ms. Rose said in an interview that the intention of the post was not to weed people out but rather to make them understand that they had a lot of learning to do.

“I needed them to understand that they don’t just get to join the march and not check their privilege constantly,” she said.

That phrase — check your privilege — exasperates Ms. Willis. She asked a reporter: “Can you please tell me what that means?”

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/09/...ns-contentious-dialogues-about-race.html?_r=0

It was only a matter of time before the left targeted white women the way they do white males. There's nothing black women hate more than a pretty white girl.

LOL @ checking privelege.

Way to gain less supporters though.

And this type of shit is why the Liberal coalitions ultimately fail. When everyone is invested in being victims, someone has to be the bad guys. Maybe these minorities women should take a moment to check their own privilege and thank these white women for the right to vote, the right to own property and all of the other rights that white women fought for in this country and these minority women enjoy.

Lol at white women feeling excluded. How will they get by? Do white women upset by this understand how petty and lame they sound? As if that compares in any way to what African American women have had to endure

37094cf3edb272ebe0712195c1063f3d.jpg

Lol at white women feeling excluded. How will they get by? Do white women upset by this understand how petty and lame they sound? As if that compares in any way to what African American women have had to endure
The burden of raising children on their own after the men who knocked them up bailed on their responsibilities?

Last edited:
a lot of feminism is really white feminism and has a history of racism behind it.

it ignores things that effect women as a group across the world and instead focuses on things that impact on white women.

Cant check what you are, white superiority is what it is. White superior culture is better and they know it.

So how long before a WHite TAX, like the jelly inept muslims taxed all other superior believers.

How revolting. Black people really get off on trying to control white people.

There's nothing black women hate more than a pretty white girl.

Black people really get off on trying to control white people.

Just like BLM is wrong about 'white people', don't make the same mistake in reverse. I think you're falling into the same trap of prejudice if you think black women / black people as a group are represented by these BLM morons. Don't let the loudmouths on social media paint your view of an entire color/gender/etc.

Lol, like anyone gives a shit what a bunch of uppity women think. Christ, they can't even get there numbers right for their "march".

That's why you just have to ignore the left. They're complete idiots.

That's why you just have to ignore the left. They're complete idiots.

This is the same mistake the left made about the right. If you stay this course, it will come around to bite you in the ass. Just like it is doing to them right now.

Both sides need to learn to communicate better with each other. Otherwise they will continue to be played against each other by opportunists in positions of power. To the overall detriment of the whole.

As has been the case thus far.

Just like BLM is wrong about 'white people', don't make the same mistake in reverse. I think you're falling into the same trap of prejudice if you think black women / black people as a group are represented by these BLM morons. Don't let the loudmouths on social media paint your view of an entire color/gender/etc.

agreed. ive actually looked into this subject and it runs deep. a lot of the history of white feminism was really just that. white women wanting the same privilege as their male counter parts with zero actual concern for women as a gender. when challenged on this a lot of them say, "oh well im not an expert in racism". no shit.

not all feminism is like this, but there is a significant history and legacy of this thinking.

of course when some feminists cant get their head around things like gender equality or care about things like male suicide rates, who would expect them to care about intersectionality.

to be fair there is a movement towards this now, that i respect. i feel like there is good within the movement but maybe its just a generational shift that is correcting itself now.

try not to just hate the video sherdoggers. what she is saying isnt anti male dogma, its quite thoughtful.

You're right (I saw this one coming), not all of them are being sucked into the BLM hole. It sure seems like many have.

When will they realise, this is why Trump won. You pandered to a minority and alienated a majority

You know DJ is my boy but I have a big problem with hoodrats. These trifling hoes do nothing but stir people up. Even Mighty Mouse had to fight off some of these skeezin chickenheads at a nightclub recently.

Demetrious-Johnson-SC.gif

"It wasn't a fight. I was trying to break it up. One of our friends, some ratchet bitch who was wearing a wig came flying across the fucking club into me."

"I got down and I tried to separate them. I tell you what, man, hair is the strongest fucking... I don't know. I don't know what to say about hair, but it is very strong. Those women's hair, like I never thought they would let go."

This is the same mistake the left made about the right. If you stay this course, it will come around to bite you in the ass. Just like it is doing to them right now.

Both sides need to learn to communicate better with each other. Otherwise they will continue to be played against each other by opportunists in positions of power. To the overall detriment of the whole.

As has been the case thus far.

Allow me to amend my statement: "People need to ignore the loony left because they are complete idiots".

There are plenty of non-loony leftists who can be rational so with them you're right...they should be engaged and at the very least treated politely. But the race baitors, gender deniers, privilege checkers, pocket counters, and all other perpetually outraged loons need to be confronted, resisted, and exposed...philosophically of course.

Back