White guy murdered for defending black friend against racist

truthisfreedom

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
https://www.ydr.com/story/news/2018...chad-merrill-james-saylor-homicide/821236002/

636677736396813599-31508104-1532174510932409-r.jpg

When her phone vibrated in the early hours of Saturday morning, Jessica Godden's initial reaction was to ignore it. Her five-month-old son lay on her chest sleeping and she was not about to disturb him.

"I thought, if it's important they'll call me back," Godden said.

She fell asleep. But the calls persisted and she finally rose from her position on the couch to check her phone.

It was 3 a.m. and she sensed something was wrong. The name on her cell phone revealed that it was the mother of her son's father calling. It was then, looking at the phone, that her demeanor and attitude changed — she froze.

She looked at her son, took a deep breath, and returned the call.

"I just knew," Godden said. "I answered and she was crying and I just knew it wasn't good."

With that one phone call, her world changed.

Chad Merrill, the father of her five-month-old son, Layton, had been killed at Red Rose Restaurant and Lounge in Hellam Township. He was shot in the chest after defending a black man who was being called hateful, racial slurs.

Anyone might describe this as their worst fear, but Godden has actually been in this nightmare before. The father of her 9-year-old son, Aden, is also dead, and now she has to start all over again.

"When I found out I was pregnant," Godden said, "I was terrified. I was really, really scared that it was going to happen again."

Eventually though, she said she convinced herself that everything would be OK. That is, until 3 a.m. Saturday.

And while the news of his death has left Godden in a state of shock, she said the way that he died — defending someone else — did not come as a surprise to her.

"He's the kind of the person that would give you the shirt off his back even if it was the last shirt he had," Godden said as she bounced Layton on her knee. She was attempting to soothe the infant who began to fuss beneath her.

That was the kind of person that Chad was, his brother Bobby Merrill said — he wanted everyone to get along. He wanted everyone to be happy.

"It was hard," Godden said, taking a deep breath before speaking again. Layton sat on her lap and gripped her finger as she looked down and smiled at him. "It was hard to even pick him up yesterday."

"I didn't want to cry and stress him out," Godden said, now bouncing her son on her lap. "I didn't want him getting upset, because he can sense when I'm upset."

This is something that has been on Bobby's mind too — how he will help his nephew know his father. Right now he wonders if it will ever not be painful to talk about Chad, but he said he knows he has to.

"He was the best dad," Bobby said. "He would do anything to make this little boy laugh, and I want him to know that. I'll make sure he knows his dad was a hero."

Godden said even though her and Merrill were not in a relationship, they had a friendship, and that was something she will also remember.

She's not sure how she will tell her son that his father is dead. But as her son grows, and begins to ask questions, it's a reality she'll have to face.

"He's going to grow up and not have anyone to call daddy," Godden said, "but we won't let him forget."

Tragic, and so f*cked up. In 2018, we're still dealing with this shit.

The white guy defending the black guy was the right thing to do. The racists killing him was clearly wrong.

/end thread?

https://www.ydr.com/story/news/2018...chad-merrill-james-saylor-homicide/821236002/

636677736396813599-31508104-1532174510932409-r.jpg

When her phone vibrated in the early hours of Saturday morning, Jessica Godden's initial reaction was to ignore it. Her five-month-old son lay on her chest sleeping and she was not about to disturb him.

"I thought, if it's important they'll call me back," Godden said.

She fell asleep. But the calls persisted and she finally rose from her position on the couch to check her phone.

It was 3 a.m. and she sensed something was wrong. The name on her cell phone revealed that it was the mother of her son's father calling. It was then, looking at the phone, that her demeanor and attitude changed — she froze.

She looked at her son, took a deep breath, and returned the call.

"I just knew," Godden said. "I answered and she was crying and I just knew it wasn't good."

With that one phone call, her world changed.

Chad Merrill, the father of her five-month-old son, Layton, had been killed at Red Rose Restaurant and Lounge in Hellam Township. He was shot in the chest after defending a black man who was being called hateful, racial slurs.

Anyone might describe this as their worst fear, but Godden has actually been in this nightmare before. The father of her 9-year-old son, Aden, is also dead, and now she has to start all over again.

"When I found out I was pregnant," Godden said, "I was terrified. I was really, really scared that it was going to happen again."

Eventually though, she said she convinced herself that everything would be OK. That is, until 3 a.m. Saturday.

And while the news of his death has left Godden in a state of shock, she said the way that he died — defending someone else — did not come as a surprise to her.

"He's the kind of the person that would give you the shirt off his back even if it was the last shirt he had," Godden said as she bounced Layton on her knee. She was attempting to soothe the infant who began to fuss beneath her.

That was the kind of person that Chad was, his brother Bobby Merrill said — he wanted everyone to get along. He wanted everyone to be happy.

"It was hard," Godden said, taking a deep breath before speaking again. Layton sat on her lap and gripped her finger as she looked down and smiled at him. "It was hard to even pick him up yesterday."

"I didn't want to cry and stress him out," Godden said, now bouncing her son on her lap. "I didn't want him getting upset, because he can sense when I'm upset."

This is something that has been on Bobby's mind too — how he will help his nephew know his father. Right now he wonders if it will ever not be painful to talk about Chad, but he said he knows he has to.

"He was the best dad," Bobby said. "He would do anything to make this little boy laugh, and I want him to know that. I'll make sure he knows his dad was a hero."

Godden said even though her and Merrill were not in a relationship, they had a friendship, and that was something she will also remember.

She's not sure how she will tell her son that his father is dead. But as her son grows, and begins to ask questions, it's a reality she'll have to face.

"He's going to grow up and not have anyone to call daddy," Godden said, "but we won't let him forget."

Tragic, and so f*cked up. In 2018, we're still dealing with this shit.
But the War Room righties told me racists haven't been emboldened by Trump's electoral success and that his tacit support for white nationalists isn't bringing them out of the woodwork. Could they be wrong?

But the War Room righties told me racists haven't been emboldened by Trump's electoral success and that his tacit support for white nationalists isn't bringing them out of the woodwork. Could they be wrong?
This is true, I mean before Trump was elected there was no racism in the United States.

The white guy defending the black guy was the right thing to do. The racists killing him was clearly wrong.

/end thread?

Ahhh... so clearly this was a one time thing and it won't happen again. We're rounded up all the racists and shot 'em off into space yes?.. okay..

lol. why you even bother showing up in this forum then?

Ahhh... so clearly this was a one time thing and it won't happen again. We're rounded up all the racists and shot 'em off into space yes?.. okay..

lol. why you even bother showing up in this forum then?
Please, seriously, enlighten us, what shall we do?

RIP to a man who stood up for what was right and just.

Sad to say that many of us wouldn't have done the same.

Holy shit, that is one heavily loaded article.

Here is a different one:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...his-friend-police-say/?utm_term=.9d9973c1e6ec

The racist guy is obviously a piece of shit. But He was already kicked out of the bar and in a truck. The person who was shot KNEW the person had a gun, and STILL went outside to confront him. It does not get much more stupid as shit than that.

He was not killed defending his friend from a racist attack. He was killed, confronting someone with a gun, after a racist slur was said by a drunk racist, who was then kicked out of a bar.

How about call the cops for unlawful discharge of a firearm, then try to throw in the racial slur context, and get them to add a hate crime charge. Easy enough.

He should have his own gun and gunned down the racists first. Murica

Please, seriously, enlighten us, what shall we do?

how about not requesting the thread to end and discuss how there are still plenty of racist assholes in the US?

This is why i don't spend time in bars anymore. You can't ever be sure how far a drunk idiot will take shit. I feel sorry for the man's family. The baby momma sounds like she is going to be messed up mentality for along time.

Last edited:
I know a guy that had his jaw broken in prison by AB/Neo Nazi types because he was white and preferred watching/playing basketball with the brothers.

Weird, it seems more of a case of drunk idiot with a gun than racism or hate crime.

Yes, it is a simple case of stupid people being stupid, who were stupid WAY before Trump.

The now single mom of 2 gets preggers by 2 guys who die in street fight/altercations? She was also not in a relationship with the second baby daddy.

Then the shooter, who is a basement dweller, who was completely shitfaced. By the report of the police chief, was blacked out, and doesn't even remember the incident.

Then you have the "peace making" victim, who is also drunk and confronts a man, who was already kicked out of a bar, is extremely drunk, and has a gun.

Trump did not create stupid people, over populating the world.

Then the story gets lost, where one drunken person is labled as RACISTS (which is plural). They one slur and being kicked out is "having been harassed", and that confronting someone already in their car and kicked out is "defending". Which only polarizing people who don't actually read the article.

This reminds me of the guy in clearwater who got shot after pushing some nut to the ground. That is why you avoid confrontations with drunk and/or crzy people.

If the guy in Clearwater calmy got in between the man and his wife, he would be alive. He is much bigger, could have gotten in between and that's it, just fucking leave. Don't assault the person.

I am glad PA does not have stand your ground laws, because in both cases, I hope the shooters are off the street. Mentally unstable pieces of shit.

But at the same time, you don't assault people, and you don't confront people you know have guns. You either drive away or stay in the bar. If you need more, call the cops. That's is it. Nothing else you can/should do.

edit: I actually don't know if PA has SYG laws. I am just assuming, since this person is being charged with homicide, which I am glad he is.

First off, it was already posted that this was a case of stupid and the OP was bias. It was designed to get the reaction from you that it got.

That said:
how about not requesting the thread to end and discuss how there are still plenty of racist assholes in the US?
Not the question, what can we do. You seem to believe we can end racism. How?

Legislation? More hate laws? Tougher sentences? More private prisons? How about white only areas for these people? Seems to work for our dearest ally. How about black only areas for black supremacists. Muslim colonies, Spanish speaking colonies?

Instead of whining about it, what is YOUR solution?

That's a nice way to say this woman is only attracted to the types of guys who get drunk and get killed in bar fights.

Everyone has a story for why getting in that bar fight wasn't them being a drunk idiot, it was actually them being heroic.

This is true, I mean before Trump was elected there was no racism in the United States.

Hate crimes are up 20% since Trump has been elected.

I hope this helps.

Back