White belts and leglocks

If getting their faces smacked in teh streets is what you're worried about, teach them to be wrestleboxers instead.

If getting their faces smacked in teh streets is what you're worried about, teach them to be wrestleboxers instead.

why? I am a firmly believer in the art of bjj as a SD, I dont need my guys to wrstle box to defend themselves.

We have very different point of views, and I wont try to convince you otherways, but im not part of the crew who thinks you need to learn how to strike and keep the fight standing up if you are fighting. My guys are training bjj, going to the ground is what they should look for in a fight, if they happen to end up on guard, I expect them to know how to fight off their backs, if you dont believe in the bjj as a SD method, its fine, and if someone doesnt believe in bjj as a SD art and tells me they rather wrestle box, fine too, they are however in the wrong place, and I do not shy away from expressing my views on the art.

I believe bjj can be a safe and effective SD method, assuming bjj for self defense means strong takedowns.

I believe bjj can be a safe and effective SD method, assuming bjj for self defense means strong takedowns.

of course thats the goal and the idea is to take down and fight from top position, however, shit happens and fights are chaotic, if you end up on your back, you need to know what to do.

of course thats the goal and the idea is to take down and fight from top position, however, shit happens and fights are chaotic, if you end up on your back, you need to know what to do.

Indeed, and what to do is to escape back to the feet so you can do it again.

Last edited:
why? I am a firmly believer in the art of bjj as a SD, I dont need my guys to wrstle box to defend themselves.

We have very different point of views, and I wont try to convince you otherways, but im not part of the crew who thinks you need to learn how to strike and keep the fight standing up if you are fighting. My guys are training bjj, going to the ground is what they should look for in a fight, if they happen to end up on guard, I expect them to know how to fight off their backs, if you dont believe in the bjj as a SD method, its fine, and if someone doesnt believe in bjj as a SD art and tells me they rather wrestle box, fine too, they are however in the wrong place, and I do not shy away from expressing my views on the art.

BJJ as a self defence seems like a bad choice.
I think your thought of self defense is a bit skewed. Going to the ground is generally bad if you are the one getting attacked, because you are now stuck with the guy trying to hurt you.
Instead, standing up, you can always move away, run or try and get help. You can also better handle multiple opponents.
BJJ is great for law enforcement / guard jobs though, as you can subdue hostile people, and arrest them / wait for police to arrive. You can also keep criminals from escaping if you put them in a lock.
Also, some of the guard stuff seems really dangerous on concrete. I mean, actually pulling guard in a real life SD seems horrible. The guy can get picked up and slammed, get pounded with fists or get stomped by a third party.

BJJ seems awesome though, I just think you should be aware of the limitations in a SD situation.

Indeed, and what to do is to escape back to the feet so you can do it again.

That's one option, which is not always available, specially if you don't first control posture and get head/ arm control. Basic sweeps like elevator sweeps is very useful, guillotines and triangles are very reliable too, i personally don't like arm bars for sd scenarios.

BJJ as a self defence seems like a bad choice.
I think your thought of self defense is a bit skewed. Going to the ground is generally bad if you are the one getting attacked, because you are now stuck with the guy trying to hurt you.
Instead, standing up, you can always move away, run or try and get help. You can also better handle multiple opponents.
BJJ is great for law enforcement / guard jobs though, as you can subdue hostile people, and arrest them / wait for police to arrive. You can also keep criminals from escaping if you put them in a lock.
Also, some of the guard stuff seems really dangerous on concrete. I mean, actually pulling guard in a real life SD seems horrible. The guy can get picked up and slammed, get pounded with fists or get stomped by a third party.

BJJ seems awesome though, I just think you should be aware of the limitations in a SD situation.

If you mean sd as a brawl scenario, I agree the ground is the last place you want to be. If you mean sd as a robbery with some type of gun involved, I agree, the ground is the last place you want to be, but in either choice, most martial arts are worthless. In a brawl size is the most important thing probably and if guns are involved, then you are most likely fuck.

Sd in bjj is thought for a 1 v1 scenario, which is quite realistic and unlike most people think, there isn't always lava needles and friends jumping from all angles. Also the confidence given to someone that knows he can handle himself at least vs 1 person is very valuable in life in general. If you are going to get in.

Jumping guard is ridiculous in a fight, specially on concrete, the guard is that, guard! Is a defensive position that should be used as a last resort if you happened to end up on the bottom, the idea is to be on top. Getting slammed is quite possible, that's why I don't like armbars, triangles well done are not slammed prone, you can prevent the slam quite easily.

Getting punch on the face, well that's why we train guard and control positions, so you don't get ktfo while in guard. Friends of your enemy jumping in? Well, don't be an idiot and pick a fight vs multiple opponents, whether on the ground or standing, if you are outnumber by some dudes with mean intentions,ya you better have your friends to back you up, id not, then your probably fucked.

That's one option, which is not always available, specially if you don't first control posture and get head/ arm control. Basic sweeps like elevator sweeps is very useful, guillotines and triangles are very reliable too, i personally don't like arm bars for sd scenarios.

Escape is easier and more reliable than attempting to sweep or submit, and it synergizes with aforementioned focus on grappling from neutral, making for a more efficient training program.

It also more valuable from a SD standpoint in case you find yourself in a situation you need to get out of.

Escape is easier and more reliable than attempting to sweep or submit, and it synergizes with aforementioned focus on grappling from neutral, making for a more efficient training program.

It also more valuable from a SD standpoint in case you find yourself in a situation you need to get out of.

I don't agree, i find extremely easy to triangle people with zero grappling experience.

A hip bum sweep is quite easy to get ass well.

Got tapped by a white recently (I'm mid-blue) with a heel hook that was well executed. This is counter to our gym rules so I was surprised and it delayed my escape attempt so I tapped. Instead of lecturing the guy on the rules I just said I was surprised he knew how to pull it off. Then I crushed him mercilessly for the remaining 3 minutes. We both learned something from it.

I don't agree, i find extremely easy to triangle people with zero grappling experience.

A hip bum sweep is quite easy to get ass well.

Its easy to do anything to someone with no grappling experience.

The training time it takes to do a technical stand up on an angry drunk is less than the time it takes to try and submit him.

The training time it takes to safely takedown and get on top of an angry drunk is less the time it takes to be able to safely fight off your back against an angry drunk.

Its easy to do anything to someone with no grappling experience.

The training time it takes to do a technical stand up on an angry drunk is less than the time it takes to try and submit him.

The training time it takes to safely takedown and get on top of an angry drunk is less the time it takes to be able to safely fight off your back against an angry drunk.

Yes, but a triangle Will finish the fight, you don't need to get up and fight to get the td Again...

I would favor finishing the fight from close guard rather than getting back up and working a td.. This doesn't mean I would favor pulling guard.. Not at all, if you happen to end up on your back, well so be it, you have h tools to finish the fight right there.

Yes, but a triangle Will finish the fight, you don't need to get up and fight to get the td Again...

I would favor finishing the fight from close guard rather than getting back up and working a td.. This doesn't mean I would favor pulling guard.. Not at all, if you happen to end up on your back, well so be it, you have h tools to finish the fight right there.

Ezequiel or Arm Triangle better finish IMO.

Punching someone in the face also happens to be a very effective way to finish a fight.

Ezequiel or Arm Triangle better finish IMO.

Punching someone in the face also happens to be a very effective way to finish a fight.

Course, but for that you have to be on top, which is n1 goal, I'm talking about the scenario where you ended up on bottom, if it's 1 v1 (which is the only scenario I cksnider when taking about fighting) I rather finish the fight once and for all from.guard than stand back up and try for a td...

Years back, a guy doing ninjutsu tried a class and was paired with me and it was my second month but I saw it on youtube so I recognize what he was doing, during rolling, and immediately did a standing ankle lock to impress onlookers. I tapped shitscared though it wasn't full on yet. geez. He told me that's what they practice for the "streets"...

It's crazy to do more than straight ankle locks and one should not crank those kind of moves, fucking stupid

Back