White belts and leglocks

We usually roll with IBJJF rules in jiu-jitsu classes. So no toe holds/kneebars/calf slicers unless one of you is a brown belt or above. In nogi classes we use ADCC rules, so heel hooks are allowed too. These are the standards, of course we do some special rounds like "purple belt nogi IBJJF rules" if someone specifically needs them, like competition prep or something. So far in 3 years I've only seen one injury from heel hooks in my gym and it was some Ukrainian psycho who rolled against a well applied heel hook and the other person didn't have enough time to let go. We do however make sure that everyone understands the leglock basics and the possibilities of injury, before we encourage newer guys to train them.

Let them lock Bro!

If a Judo WB is allowed to try and throw with any technique (no option to tap...burden is on the higher belt to not die) why shouldn't a BJJ WB be allowed to attempt any sub.?.

There rules in my club is that anyone can do toe holds/knee bars but only on brown belts plus.

We usually roll with IBJJF rules in jiu-jitsu classes. So no toe holds/kneebars/calf slicers unless one of you is a brown belt or above. In nogi classes we use ADCC rules, so heel hooks are allowed too. These are the standards, of course we do some special rounds like "purple belt nogi IBJJF rules" if someone specifically needs them, like competition prep or something. So far in 3 years I've only seen one injury from heel hooks in my gym and it was some Ukrainian psycho who rolled against a well applied heel hook and the other person didn't have enough time to let go. We do however make sure that everyone understands the leglock basics and the possibilities of injury, before we encourage newer guys to train them.
Same where I train. Although basically no one is leglock happy except me, so our perfect record on heel hook injuries is not meaningful.

Let them lock Bro!

If a Judo WB is allowed to try and throw with any technique (no option to tap...burden is on the higher belt to not die) why shouldn't a BJJ WB be allowed to attempt any sub.?

There no sub restrictions at my club and we teach leg subs to all...no one in My two years here have missed time due to a WB sub attempt.

In all honesty most of the "senior" anti-WB doing leglock complaints is a senior person bitching because a WB caught them.

Hold on here.

Are you saying that white belt at your Bjj gym are heelhooking people that are coming for their first class?

Here in Brazil almost all schools do not allow leglock by white belts, but in my own it's normal to see it. The mentality goes like this: if you're rolling with a higher belt guy and he attacks you with leglocks, then you're allowed to respond.

I don't know how it is in 'Merica or Europe gyms, but the only thing we condemn is reap the knee. Mannnnnn... if you wanna see someone pissed, cross your leg above someone's knee, even on nogi trainings.

The leg lock debate reminds me of the Libertarian philosophy of "Less government intervention, and more individual freedoms". In theory this sounds great, but in reality there are always a small handful of people who will fuck it up for the rest. Every school has at least one asshole who is not going to care about the welfare of his training partners and he is going to crank the lock, and his opponent is going to be temporarily crippled for the next 6 months. Regarding leg locks, practice them with someone you can trust, but an open class where everyone can attend, be very careful.

Hold on here.

Are you saying that white belt at your Bjj gym are heelhooking people that are coming for their first class?

No.

Newbies are paired with senior belts who don't h/h them.

Let them lock Bro!

If a Judo WB is allowed to try and throw with any technique (no option to tap...burden is on the higher belt to not die) why shouldn't a BJJ WB be allowed to attempt any sub.?

There no sub restrictions at my club and we teach leg subs to all...no one in My two years here have missed time due to a WB sub attempt.

In all honesty most of the "senior" anti-WB doing leglock complaints is a senior person bitching because a WB caught them.

White belts have mire importante things to learn than leg locks. It hinders their progress

Here in Brazil almost all schools do not allow leglock by white belts, but in my own it's normal to see it. The mentality goes like this: if you're rolling with a higher belt guy and he attacks you with leglocks, then you're allowed to respond.

I don't know how it is in 'Merica or Europe gyms, but the only thing we condemn is reap the knee. Mannnnnn... if you wanna see someone pissed, cross your leg above someone's knee, even on nogi trainings.

Fucking ridiculius shit

When I was 10 I learned to drive a car. I wasn't good at it, it wasn't legal anywhere, and no one was handing me car keys. But if shit hit the fan, I could drive a car. Allowing me to drive a car just willy nilly would have been irresponsible, but I knew the basics. I spent my time learning other important things, but if needed I could do it.

I think heel hooks, foot locks, etc. are the same thing. Teach that shit, get it in the rotation. And when a person is ready, start giving him/her the keys and let them drive more and more.

Avoinding injuries is the mentality, cant blame them.
I meant is ridiulous the way people react about knee reaping, ridiculous

When I hear brazilians refs talk about it and explain why is so dangerous, I really want to shoot them in the balls.

Is a ridiculuos rule, that should be made at best for white belts.

White belts have mire importante things to learn than leg locks. It hinders their progress

What more important things could those be exactly? If you've got a guy who likes playing guard (questionable i know, but we can't all be perfect), he should know leg locks, because leg entanglements are the most effective way to fight from the bottom.

What more important things could those be exactly? If you've got a guy who likes playing guard (questionable i know, but we can't all be perfect), he should know leg locks, because leg entanglements are the most effective way to fight from the bottom.

Like passing weight distribución close guard armbarars triangles etc, plenty time to learn leg locks leg entanglements and other stuff later on... Could a white belt be proefficient in leg atracks, sure. Is it important for them at that stage of their journey? Unles they are going to fight Mma, absolutely no.

Like passing weight distribución close guard armbarars triangles etc, plenty time to learn leg locks leg entanglements and other stuff later on... Could a white belt be proefficient in leg atracks, sure. Is it important for them at that stage of their journey? Unles they are going to fight Mma, absolutely no.

Leg locks are better than arm bars or triangles from closed guard.

debate-me-by-tai-s-tees-tote-bag.jpg

Fadda team defeated the Gracie team with leg locks back in the days.

By rule, we roll IBJJF rules.

Students are encouraged to do their own research. With the current popularity of the DDS and EBI organisation, a lot of the team are naturally gravitating towards the leg lock game. When I'm teaching, I keep a close eye on the rolling.

A lot of the guys just don't know, especially with a transition/scramble. It's a perfectly acceptable straight footlock, then one person moves and suddenly it changes to a reap for example.

Leg locks are better than arm bars or triangles from closed guard.

debate-me-by-tai-s-tees-tote-bag.jpg

im not saying which one is better than other, but as a white belt, there are things you need to know, and arm bars and triangles are the most basic subs there are, but is not only about that, subs are good to know, but like I said, a white belt needs to worry much more about escaping weight distribution basic subs, etc etc.

on your last post, how are white belts going to transition from close to leg locks? I hope your kidding.

on your last post, how are white belts going to transition from close to leg locks? I hope your kidding.

They don't, they transition from sit up gwad to leg entanglements (or single legs, as the case may be).

They don't, they transition from sit up gwad to leg entanglements (or single legs, as the case may be).

well if they dont, case close.

Close guard for white belts 1. needs to be about what the hell not to do and what to do to avoid getting hurt in a fight. I want my white belts to know how not to get their face smack if they ever get in a fight, control posture, basic sweeps basic subs.

At least thats what I believe and how I teach. It hurts my eyes to see white belts dropping to for an ankle lock from top while trying to pass... once they reach blue, they can do whatever they want while rolling, as white belts, is not that they are not allow, but they know I dont like them, if it seems quite ironic, since im the leg lock guy in the gym.

Back