White belts and leglocks

At my gym we do everything except for heel hooks. I however do not like it when guys who are new or I don't know go for leglocks as I can't trust them not to crank the sub.

Besides, I try to tap early when someone catches my foot unless I am pretty sure I can get out of it.

I believe the straight ankle lock is as fundamental a technique as a collar choke. Learning it early makes all future leg locks easier to understand.

Leg locks should be trained A) with an extra watchword when it comes to being a good partner and B) in combination with guard passing, showing how a pass attempt can open up a leg and vice versa.

And as to the Brazilian hatred of leglocks, that's a thing of the past. Look at Worlds this year- Cobrinha and Mendes was a toe hold fest, and Cavaca hit seven Achilles locks, I believe.

Actually, our instructor really doesn't do a lot of leglock stuff, although he does not discourage the gi-legal leglocks (straight ankle locks, toe-holds, kneebars) no heel hooks though.

I only know this because i just rolled with a newly-minted purple today and he went for a toehold and a straight ankle on me. whoo us.

before that though, the only stuff they really used was the 'safe' stuff (straight leglocks)

Hey TS I hope your leg isn't in bad shape. I got heel hooked by some random visiting MMA guy a few weeks ago and my knee got messed up too (also made the loud popping sounds). Luckily with enough rest and constant icing + compression I am able to roll again. Good luck and stay safe.

My school doesn't allow them,but if I find myself in the position I grip (Not crank or put any pressure) just to let them know I could get them here so dont be cocky >.>. My instructor would have put on a show reacting to that kid who popped your foot.

I do nogi BJJ, we don't really train them, but in live rolls we'll catch them and if the person doesn't tap, release them and ask them why they didn't tap to it.

Alright good news, the swelling went down considerably and it's not nearly as painful as it was before. I went to class last night and just watched. I figure because it's healing so fast I probably just popped a joint out and fluid started to build up. My instructor said if I was feeling up to it I can still come in and tape up my ankle but just not roll 100%.

At my gym, I am allowed to hit leg locks (white belt, but 15 years of wrestling) because I know how to hit them pretty well and I don't crank anything. Oddly enough I learned leglocks quicker than most of the other things I've been taught in BJJ

Alright good news, the swelling went down considerably and it's not nearly as painful as it was before. I went to class last night and just watched. I figure because it's healing so fast I probably just popped a joint out and fluid started to build up. My instructor said if I was feeling up to it I can still come in and tape up my ankle but just not roll 100%.

I am not a doctor but is swelling caused by a popped joint? I thought swelling would be cause by a break.

I am not a doctor but is swelling caused by a popped joint? I thought swelling would be cause by a break.

I'm not a doctor either... but there was definite swelling for the past 2 days, and much more pain than there is now. I wish I took pictures so I could show you what it looked like, but I'm pretty sure it was a fluid buildup. I would think if it was broken I wouldn't be able to walk on it or anything.

white belts need to be guided and groomed in the philosophy/tenets of jiu jitsu. At that stage learning how to defend themselves with their guard, passing guard and achieving dominant position should be the focus of training.

I hate this white belt leg lock debate. White belts should be coached on how to flow, how to leave ego at the door, and how to tap instead of restricting their arsenal. Why are your white belts released onto the mat with no guidance on how to roll each round?

To many schools just show some moves and then throw everyone onto the mat for rolling. Why are you not starting from specific positions? Why are you not setting specific goals for your students to accomplish each round?

A free flow round starting from standing and ending with a submission should only be 1 or 2 rounds of the class, especially for white belts! How else will you get your students to improve on anything other than what they want to work?

Showing white belts leg locks isn't the problem, teaching white belts a few moves and then throwing them into the deep end of the mat with no guidance is.

They don't allow them in our class. The problem is there are new people that apparently when rolling instead of drilling a technique, seemingly lose their minds and go nuts. I rolled Monday with a huge guy probably 300+ and after a little scramble I almost had his back with my leg trapped under him. Supposed to be sweep, pass guard no subs. First thing he saw was my foot and grabbed it. It didn't hurt at all but the instructor ran over and called a tap. He said they don't necessarily hurt until its too late. I think that is part of why they don't allow it. Don't know how far is too far to crank, and don't know when to tap to save yourself.

white belts need to be guided and groomed in the philosophy/tenets of jiu jitsu. At that stage learning how to defend themselves with their guard, passing guard and achieving dominant position should be the focus of training.

Nowdays, some white belts thinks that if they can heel hook and knee reap, they will beat people that have never train with heel hook and knee reaping.

It is a bit the influence of the dds there with young competitors tapping bb.

Does your gym allow white belts to use any kind of leg locks when free rolling (not drilling new moves)?

My gym doesn't (I'm a white belt myself), but tonight I was rolling with another white belt, and he went for a toehold. Now, I expected that because we're not supposed to attack the legs, he would either transition to something else or we would reset and continue to roll... Well, instead he cranked it, and all you could hear in the gym was a loud snap.

Luckily nothing is broken (as far as I can tell), because I can walk on it and I was able to drive myself home. The head instructor wasn't there (if he was, the kid probably would have gotten some sort of punishment, because my instructor is really serious about this kind of stuff), but the other instructor just asked him what the hell he was doing.

Well, at least I know who not to roll with again. Has this happened to anyone else, and if so, how bad was it?

Toe holds cause sprains. If you're having trouble walking it's probably a serious ankle sprain. As for whether white belts should do them...no one should do anything they haven't been specifically trained to do and can do safely. I could teach a white belt to heel hook safely and it would be fine, but if anyone who hadn't been taught to heel hook safely tried one on me I'd be pretty upset.

We do straight footlocks on nogi days but that's it. Tbh im still iffy about my defense so i just tap if someone has the lock for a couple of secs. Not worth getting injured for silly stuff.

Let them lock Bro!

If a Judo WB is allowed to try and throw with any technique (no option to tap...burden is on the higher belt to not die) why shouldn't a BJJ WB be allowed to attempt any sub.?

There no sub restrictions at my club and we teach leg subs to all...no one in My two years here have missed time due to a WB sub attempt.

In all honesty most of the "senior" anti-WB doing leglock complaints is a senior person bitching because a WB caught them.

Back