White belts and leglocks

DGHighlyEvolved

White Belt
Reaction score
Does your gym allow white belts to use any kind of leg locks when free rolling (not drilling new moves)?

My gym doesn't (I'm a white belt myself), but tonight I was rolling with another white belt, and he went for a toehold. Now, I expected that because we're not supposed to attack the legs, he would either transition to something else or we would reset and continue to roll... Well, instead he cranked it, and all you could hear in the gym was a loud snap.

Luckily nothing is broken (as far as I can tell), because I can walk on it and I was able to drive myself home. The head instructor wasn't there (if he was, the kid probably would have gotten some sort of punishment, because my instructor is really serious about this kind of stuff), but the other instructor just asked him what the hell he was doing.

Well, at least I know who not to roll with again. Has this happened to anyone else, and if so, how bad was it?

yes!

A year ago, I was rolling with one guy on his first class. He went for a leg lock, and ended up screwing up my ankle big time. until now it flares up occasionally.

i think you should get treatment

Well, I iced it before I wrapped it in an ace bandage, and it's really not hurting too bad. If it's worse tomorrow I'm going to the doctor's.

I still feel good about rolling with him, because all he did was sit on me the whole time and try to outmuscle me. We rolled before this happened and I hip tossed him because he kept going for the same trip (probably did it 5 times before I thought to hip toss him the next time he tried). Also, he tried to force a guillotine for about 3 minutes while I sat there and let him try to do his thing. I just worked my technique and felt good when it worked better than his muscle.

If someone tries a leg lock on me (or a better grappler) and the person does not know how to do a leg lock, they will tap to a leg lock. I will then tell them not to try leg locks until they know how to do them.

holy smoke, white belt + toe hold.

Toe hold is only allowed at Brown Belt level for IBJJF competitions!

If someone tries a leg lock on me (or a better grappler) and the person does not know how to do a leg lock, they will tap to a leg lock. I will then tell them not to try leg locks until they know how to do them.

That's the thing, I didn't resist it, I just sat there and relaxed waiting for him to let go, because I figured he'd been there longer than me (I've been training for about 4 months now) and should know the rules if I do. I probably should have tapped, but he shouldn't have gone for the toehold in the first place. Oh well, it's a combat sport, it's bound to happen, I know that from wrestling.

Does your gym allow white belts to use any kind of leg locks when free rolling (not drilling new moves)?

My gym doesn't (I'm a white belt myself), but tonight I was rolling with another white belt, and he went for a toehold. Now, I expected that because we're not supposed to attack the legs, he would either transition to something else or we would reset and continue to roll... Well, instead he cranked it, and all you could hear in the gym was a loud snap.

Luckily nothing is broken (as far as I can tell), because I can walk on it and I was able to drive myself home. The head instructor wasn't there (if he was, the kid probably would have gotten some sort of punishment, because my instructor is really serious about this kind of stuff), but the other instructor just asked him what the hell he was doing.

Well, at least I know who not to roll with again. Has this happened to anyone else, and if so, how bad was it?

same exact thing happened to me when I was in my first 2 weeks of training. I actually went for a kneebar, and the instructor told me to stop, then when I stopped the other white belt ripped my foot right off with a toe-hold. Extremely loud snap, and I could barely move the next day.

tomorrow is going to suck, but in a week it will feel better for the most part just tape it up real good and hide it when you're training because it will be very sensitive for a while.

That's the thing, I didn't resist it, I just sat there and relaxed waiting for him to let go, because I figured he'd been there longer than me (I've been training for about 4 months now) and should know the rules if I do. I probably should have tapped, but he shouldn't have gone for the toehold in the first place. Oh well, it's a combat sport, it's bound to happen, I know that from wrestling.

I hope you did not brake anything.

usually if it makes loud noise, it is bad news.

If it's a position where I probably can't defend, and it is someone that doesn't really know the move, I will tap right away.

The only positive is, you now know you can be caught in a toe hold from whatever position you are in. It may be good to avoid leaving that foot free like that. Should build good habits for the future.

Hope you get well soon, sir.

same exact thing happened to me when I was in my first 2 weeks of training. I actually went for a kneebar, and the instructor told me to stop, then when I stopped the other white belt ripped my foot right off with a toe-hold. Extremely loud snap, and I could barely move the next day.

tomorrow is going to suck, but in a week it will feel better for the most part just tape it up real good and hide it when you're training because it will be very sensitive for a while.

How did you know how to do a knee bar after 2 weeks of training?

Do they teach it to new guys?

How did you know how to do a knee bar after 2 weeks of training?

Do they teach it to new guys?

I did traditional martial arts before hand, and we did some grappling. I just treated it like an armbar on the leg before I started learning real BJJ.

Well, I guess he did know the move, he just went into douche mode and cranked it.:icon_conf But you're right, I should just learn from this, even if it's not really my fault.

I really hope nothing's broken either... But like I said, it feels alright when wrapped up, it just hurts a lot to point my foot forward.

Whitebelts are typically only allowed straight ankle locks, no toe hold, kneebahs, or heel hooks for the reason that threads like this exist. Unusual that this would even be allowed, and since you mentioned it is not typically allowed, it seems unusual for him to intentionally disobey the rules. Either way, don't tough out leg locks if you enjoy walking. Learn the proper escapes or tap fast. I learned the hard way a few years back.

I thought this thread was about leglocking white belts, which we all know is fun.

Well, I guess he did know the move, he just went into douche mode and cranked it.:icon_conf But you're right, I should just learn from this, even if it's not really my fault.

I really hope nothing's broken either... But like I said, it feels alright when wrapped up, it just hurts a lot to point my foot forward.

You almost certainly didn't break any bones, but toe-holds gone wrong commonly cause damage to the ligaments on the top of the foot. Generally it's reasonably minor and heals on it's own with proper care. Ice, ibuprofen, and athletic tape are your friend.

Whitebelts are typically only allowed straight ankle locks, no toe hold, kneebahs, or heel hooks for the reason that threads like this exist. Unusual that this would even be allowed, and since you mentioned it is not typically allowed, it seems unusual for him to intentionally disobey the rules. Either way, don't tough out leg locks if you enjoy walking. Learn the proper escapes or tap fast. I learned the hard way a few years back.

I thought this thread was about leglocking white belts, which we all know is fun.

The instructor wasn't watching us roll, he was helping someone else drilling a move we did in class... Otherwise he would have stopped him as soon as he saw him do the toe hold.

At our gym we are allowed and taught leg locks, knee bars, etc even as white belts. But we are also taught to be careful, go slow and tap immediately in practice.

At our gym we are allowed and taught leg locks, knee bars, etc even as white belts. But we are also taught to be careful, go slow and tap immediately in practice.

this is how it should be. it's the schools that ban leglocks and never show or mention them that have all the problems.

this is how it should be. it's the schools that ban leglocks and never show or mention them that have all the problems.

I agree with this as well.

But then on the contrary I have seem numerous occasions of new guys spazzing the eff out, a few times even kicking holes in the freshly plastered wall in their ball of hissyfit wrasslin'. I couldn't even imagine the horrors that would be seen if they were attempting to heel hook one another.

We start working a few leg locks at blue, other than the straight ankle that is, which is taught at white.

We start working other leg locks a bit at blue, other than the straight ankle that is, which is taught at white.

My school does the same, we actually did a kneebar transition from North/South tonight. Heel hooks, toe holds, and anything else that can fuck you up really badly if done incorrectly - not saying that kneebars can't but those are banned from white belts in rolling too - are banned for whites. Blues and up are the ones allowed to use them on each other, but not on whites.

Back