white belt beating black belt

If we could only talk about competition - BJJ'ers tapping judoka or judoka tapping BJJ'ers - then 99% of these threads would dissappear, because its still far from common for judoka to compete in BJJ tournaments and BJJ'ers to compete in judo tournaments.

All the BJJ <insert belt of your choice> tapping judo black belt threads, or judo <insert belt of your choice> tapping BJJ black belts would be gone ... which might not be a bad thing.

I suspect Mikey Triangles more or less nailed it when he said if it didn't happen in a tournament then it doesn't mean anything. That's what made the BJ Penn video interesting, it was in a tournament, unlike 99.99% of the stories of x tapping y we're fed.

This is the same thing btw that has become unofficial policy in lifting forums ... if you talk about how much you lifted outside of a competition they mock you. If you make a claim you have to provide the tournament you did it. Pretty good policy actually ...

This is the same thing btw that has become unofficial policy in lifting forums ... if you talk about how much you lifted outside of a competition they mock you. If you make a claim you have to provide the tournament you did it. Pretty good policy actually ...
Yes. Agreed.

It is odd that people care what happens in training, Kosei Inoue has a video of him being thrown in randori by some British blackbelt, it's training and people allow themsleves to be put into positions that they would never allow in competition.

Guys i just threw my judo instructor!!!

We were working some randori and after a little bit he told me to step in and secure a belt grip and do harai-goshi, SO i DID AND IT WORKED!!! he landed flat on his back for a perfect ippwn by myself. 6th degree judo black belt and I'm only a green belt in judo!

I think I should be at least a shodan for that one.

Guys i just threw my judo instructor!!!

We were working some randori and after a little bit he told me to step in and secure a belt grip and do harai-goshi, SO i DID AND IT WORKED!!! he landed flat on his back for a perfect ippwn by myself. 6th degree judo black belt and I'm only a green belt in judo!

I think I should be at least a shodan for that one.
Agreed. You are now at least a judo shodan. Congratulations. You are now able to tap BJJ black belt, although sadly if you ever meet a BJJ blue-belt, you are finished - unless you are already a BJJ blue belt in which case you will soon tap yourself.

... because she didn't expect the duck under triangle. Oh by the way thanks for that move mikey it really does catch people of guard when they think your going to go for there back with the duck under.

The only time one of my students ever caught me legit(by this I mean I didn't let him do it by purposely leaving an opening) in training was with that technique also. It definitely catches people off-guard if they aren't paying close attention. He hit the duck under, then I reached for a leg and he had the triangle locked perfect by the time I realized what he was doing. If it was a tournament I would have been more alert, but since I was training relaxed with a white belt I just showed the move to two days prior I just didn't expect it... even though he was a monster athlete. I thought he was going to try a lift of some kind.

Some white belt almost tapped me on his first day of training. I'm a pretty decent blue belt. Before rolling with the guy I introduced my self and asked him how long he had been training. He said it was his first day, so I let him start in my guard and work on passing. I was rolling very lazily, letting him try to work on passing when all of the sudden he has me flattened out in half guard with a kimura locked in. Luckily for me, he didn't have enough knowledge of the move to finish it. It was almost very embarrassing for me.

If we could only talk about competition - BJJ'ers tapping judoka or judoka tapping BJJ'ers - then 99% of these threads would dissappear, because its still far from common for judoka to compete in BJJ tournaments and BJJ'ers to compete in judo tournaments.

I don't know about you, but BJJ guys in judo tournaments is very common in the mid Atlantic, particularly around Baltimore. Or at least, it was. For a while there, it seemed like a quarter to a third of adults in a lot of the smallest tournaments were BJJ guys, most of whom were associated with Lloyd Irvin.

Hell, a few months ago, I was in Baltimore so I showed up to a local tournament to help out and I thought I was in the wrong building because of the number of patched up BJJ gis there.

To a lesser degree, also true the other way. For a while, every BJJ or sub wrestling tournament I'd go to, I'd see a couple of judo faces.

Agreed. You are now at least a judo shodan. Congratulations. You are now able to tap BJJ black belt, although sadly if you ever meet a BJJ blue-belt, you are finished - unless you are already a BJJ blue belt in which case you will soon tap yourself.

Oh noes.. the dreaded blue belt. Judo BB's worst nightmare.

Well nobody talked about it after, but deep down everyone feels i should be promoted to Shodan because this always happens.

Also I was outweighed by 130lbs.

I am technically a no stripe white belt.

On Saturday at Grapplers Quest I tapped a brown belt in like 25 seconds and a guy I think might be a black belt in like 7 or 9 seconds! The second guy took the silver in the pro division later that day.

I am technically a no stripe white belt.

On Saturday at Grapplers Quest I tapped a brown belt in like 25 seconds and a guy I think might be a black belt in like 7 or 9 seconds! The second guy took the silver in the pro division later that day.

For which weight class did this guy take 2nd in the pro-division? I'll tell you what his rank was.

I'm not too familiar with the controls on this forum. Can I PM it to you or do I not have that privilege?

I'm not too familiar with the controls on this forum. Can I PM it to you or do I not have that privilege?

i think you can just look at the blue box in the top right corner and go to your private messages and reply to the one i just sent you.

^^^Are you on facebook?

My buddy is putting the video up there now. I'll send you the link if you will not name names after you see it. It's not anyone famous involved.

no PMs dude, post that up in here!

if this is true I'll be the first to say you da man.

^^^Are you on facebook?

My buddy is putting the video up there now. I'll send you the link if you will not name names after you see it. It's not anyone famous involved.

whats the big secret

Back