white belt beating black belt

Wooded

White Belt
Reaction score
happened at my gym...everyone kinda kept quiet about it.the BJJ bb showed up from god knows where (brazilian guy) The white belts a bb judoka but still that guy aint comin back. feel like this guy should be at least promoed to purple since he beats everyone below that level, guess it doesnt work that way

querry, ever seen this kinda thing. reminds me of what BJ did to that BB judo comp

YouTube - BJ Penn in a Judo Competition

wow judo black belt beats bjj black belt strange to say the least. We had a black belt judo guy in our gym he had nice skills about blue belt level but nothing more. Hard to submit and sweep but by no mean should be able to submit anyone higher then purple. I look at the judo guys and wrestling guys the same both should be blue belts in 6 months because of the grappling expierence.

wow judo black belt beats bjj black belt strange to say the least. We had a black belt judo guy in our gym he had nice skills about blue belt level but nothing more. Hard to submit and sweep but by no mean should be able to submit anyone higher then purple. I look at the judo guys and wrestling guys the same both should be blue belts in 6 months because of the grappling expierence.

I spoke to a guy who has a brown in both BJJ and Judo about 6 months ago who travels alot on biz and visits gyms regularly in his travels.

When I asked him how about the ground game of Judo he says it is NOT uncommon for him to have his hands full and even get tapped by a good Judo newaza player. I suppose with the techs out there online and in person at different clubs it would be pretty easy for an experienced grappler to pick up on groundfighting if they chose to.

If he is operating at a purple belt level he probably caught the guy off-guard. We don't know what you mean by "beat" him either. Did he positionally dominate the black belt or just catch him in a submission like a weird footlock or something. I'd say that makes a pretty big difference.

Someone who taps the purples and below would not even get close to tapping the black belts at my gym, so that is a rather unusual situation.

very rare, and usually has a lot of variables involved.

If he is operating at a purple belt level he probably caught the guy off-guard. We don't know what you mean by "beat" him either. Did he positionally dominate the black belt or just catch him in a submission like a weird footlock or something. I'd say that makes a pretty big difference.

submission basic armbar, nobody was keeping score

even without keeping score you can usually tell whose dominating

well if you beat a BB by position, odds are he let you get to those positions. but this guy was from another gym so it was awkward cause he looked depressed afterwards

I'd say that BJ was definitely at least at a blue belt skill level at that time. I think BJ's was able to exploit the Judo BB's weaknesses in his game. Hey, it happens. I'm sure the guy learned a lot from that competition.

I'm just waiting for the "Got beat by a white belt" parody thread to pop up in 3... 2... 1...

I'd say that BJ was definitely at least at a blue belt skill level at that time. I think BJ's was able to exploit the Judo BB's weaknesses in his game. Hey, it happens. I'm sure the guy learned a lot from that competition.

Yeah he probably learned how much he hates himself for not knowing jits.

I thought Bj was a brown in bjj in that video.

Without details of the circumstances, it's almost ridiculous to validate this sort of post. Were there multiple rolls? Did the black belt catch the white belt at all? Was the black belt working hard or taking it easy? Are you even competent to make that determination?

In a training setting, I think it's not that uncommon to see a white belt or blue belt submit a black belt, for the simple reason that the black belt doesn't want to rip through a low belt. If the black belt is shredding a beginner, it can make him look like a bully. This is one of the reasons that rank is important. Obviously, the judoka in your scenario is skilled and might be at blue belt level or higher. But if he were wearing a different belt, chances are the BB would have treated the encounter much differently.

We've had a number of Judoka train with us to improve their Newaza, several of them Olympic-class (this is at Renzo's in NYC). I've seen them get manhandled by BJJ black belts, but at points they've held their own as well. It wouldn't surprise me if a few got submissions from time to time, but it's not the norm.

Without knowing the people involved, there's not much you can say about what happened (or even if it did happen ... nameless claims are always somewhat suspect, no disrespect intended). Unnamed people from style A are always beating unnamed experts from style B. This usually happens to unnamed people both ways. Unnamed judo black belts tap unnamed BJJ black belts, and unnamed judo black belts are tapped by BJJ white belts. The cool thing about them all being unnamed is that no one can verify or contradict it.

Most judo BB's wouldn't fare well at all on the ground with a BJJ BB, to put it mildly (though some could either stay on their feet or regain their feet instantly, much as is seen in MMA when BJJ'ers without good takedown skills discover that they've no way to get the fight to the ground).

But like anything there are exceptions. Gracie Magazine reported awhile back that Kenzo Nakamura and Roger Gracie rolled hard on the ground for 10 minutes without either tapping, though from what I've heard Roger would definitely have won on points if they were counting. If he can last 10 minutes against Roger going hard, presumably Nakamura would be a handful for your average BJJ BB.

Of course, Nakamura won Olympic gold in 96, and is a world class athlete, apparently using his athleticism to keep Roger from submitting him. Your average BJJ blackbelt (and there are over 5000 of them now) is going to find that level of athleticism fairly hard to deal with. Of course Nakamura would (and has in the past) go through most judo BB's very quickly as well, there's not much point for most judo BB's to look at Nakamura and say 'that proves I can hang with a BJJ blackbelt' ... guys like Nakamura are freaks, as anyone who's worked with them (judo or BJJ or wrestling or anything). Good examples to prove there are always exceptions, but not very useful for comparison otherwise.

Rhadi Ferguson (BJJ black belt and judo Olympian) has written that most Olympic level judoka are just BJJ blue to purple in ground skills, but would actually do pretty well against most BJJ black belts (though not the elite) on simple athleticism. People always discount just how much difference that can make - watching Sapp vs Big Nog's fight is a good reminder of a white belt with nothing but huge athleticism giving a black belt a rough time.

As well, you have the occasional freak like Penn tapping recreational judo black belts in documented (youtube anyway) videos - once again, most of us aren't Penn, and what he can do, like what Nakamura can do, has little to do with what we can expect from most of the population.

"the BJJ bb showed up from god knows where (brazilian guy)"

You sure he was a BB ?

it doesn't mean anything if it didn't happen in a tournament. for all you know the black belt let him get the submission, and was rolling extremely easy with him.

also let me guess the size difference. white belt is a lean 200+lbs and black belt was 130lbs

this thread is ridiculous.

he was lighter than the BJJ BB but yes the white belt was much more athletic a freak of nature really.

it doesn't mean anything if it didn't happen in a tournament. for all you know the black belt let him get the submission, and was rolling extremely easy with him.

also let me guess the size difference. white belt is a lean 200+lbs and black belt was 130lbs

this thread is ridiculous.

Yup, there should be a sticky thread for 'novice in style A beats expert in style B' ... its almost always ridiculous for the reasons you state.

Back