Which wrestler had the most talent but was never given the opportunity

If only Shelton Benjamin could cut a promo. In 2004, it looked like he was primed for a push but it was for naught.

A guy like Curt Hennig definitely should've had a run and a Rick Rude could've had a decent run as a heal champion as well in the WWF.

Recently, Damien Sandow. Now I don't know if he wouldn've been a ME guy but every shitty gimmick they gave him, he got OVER and when he got over, they shafted time and time again so he definitely belongs in the "never given the opportunity" category

One that I felt had potential when he was young, but totally fell flat was Alex Wright. The guy did beat HHH on PPV in WCW, and was pretty young at the time. If the company would have taken him, and ditched the whole Wunderkid/Crazy Dancing gimmik, he had the size/ability to be in Main Event matches with time/proper push.
he tried rebranding himself with another terrible gimmick- Berlyn. the lack of push is his own damn fault.

Shane Douglas proved he could be a great champion when he was given the opportunity in ECW and that was in front of then most demanding fans in all of pro wrestling. At the time he broke Gary Wolfe's neck he was the top heel in the entire business. Just imagine how good a program with Douglas and Austin would have been. The promos alone would have been incredible!

Probably the Red Rooster (Terry Taylor). I remember him being a big dude with a lot of gusto, but he always seemed to have quick matches against the "nobodies" and then would get destroyed anytime he was fighting a big name. I always remember a lot of talk about how mis-managed his career in the WWF was and how his branding as the Red Rooster fell flat with the fans and just didn't work. Even as a kid I loved watching him wrestle but it was apparent that something was just "off."

Terry Taylor was the first one I thought of too.

Marty Janetti probably coulda been bigger too, but that was mostly due to himself being a screw up.

I think Val Venis could have been more than just a midcarder too.

i wonder how they would have treated Meng if the internet was a big thing back in his prime. all of those stories could have been told to push him as a monster.

Mike Awesome. His matches with Masato Tanaka were top notch.

He showed up, jobbed to Spike Dudley, and left..

He was the big Muscle guy in ECW, and I guess the WWE thought he just wasn't big enough.

He showed up, jobbed to Spike Dudley, and left..

He was the big Muscle guy in ECW, and I guess the WWE thought he just wasn't big enough.

Yup, he was the big fish in a small pond in Japan and ECW. When he went to WWE and even WCW he just looked like everybody else. He was agile for a big man, but had no charisma and was nothing they didn't already have tons of.

Yup, he was the big fish in a small pond in Japan and ECW. When he went to WWE and even WCW he just looked like everybody else. He was agile for a big man, but had no charisma and was nothing they didn't already have tons of.

It's funny, when he got in really great shape ( invasion) he lost alot if size and became useless

I'm surprised Lance Storm didn't have a lengthy mid tier run, multiple IC reigns, tag titles etc. He seemed perfectly suited to that kind of role, was he just crowded out by all the talent accumulated after the merge?

In shoot interviews, Storm always comes off as the grown-up in the room. Vince probably hated him the same way he hated Daniel Bryan for not eating meat.

Roman Reigns and it isn't even up for debate.

Taka Michinoku in WWF? Just because, I mean, he was arguably the best in the world and he became a jobber. Pretty big disparity between skill-level and push in his case.

Owen and Bulldog could have easily been world champs. Same with Rick Rude, Mr. Perfect, etc.

John Morrison, that mofo should have beat Cena clean. He was the man. Really dissapointed Vince never pushed him, he was an awesome wrestler.

John Morrison, that mofo should have beat Cena clean. He was the man. Really dissapointed Vince never pushed him, he was an awesome wrestler.
Apparently melina caused massive drama backstage and he was attached to her like a lost dog so he was considered part of the issues.

If only Shelton Benjamin had the mic skills of Elijah Burke, had high hopes for both of those guys, Vince gave the stamp of approval on him if I remember correctly.

Apparently melina caused massive drama backstage and he was attached to her like a lost dog so he was considered part of the issues.

If only Shelton Benjamin had the mic skills of Elijah Burke, had high hopes for both of those guys, Vince gave the stamp of approval on him if I remember correctly.
He wasn't too smart politically. He didn't really want to work with Vince's favourite diva Trish which was curtains for him as a main eventer.

Back