Which would translate better to wrestling?

Big_Gpap

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am interested in taking up either BJJ or Judo as a "bridge". I have wrestled for 9 years up until I graduated high school 3 years ago. My route to college has been delayed due to some personal reasons but I now find myself at 21 re-enrolling into a local CC for 2 years before transferring to a 4-year school. There are a few schools around here who are great choices for my interested major who also have wrestling programs (D3 & NAIA-level). I figured I didn't have anything to lose by trying out when the time came but would need to get back into some kind of grappling, since there are no over-18 wrestling clubs anywhere nearby. So my options would be BJJ or Judo, there's also a sambo school but it's over an hour away but I'd only consider it if it is much better than the other options. I appreciate any feedback, thanks!

Judo. It's typically trained a lot more like wrestling, and you'll probably pick up some stuff you can use in wrestling (especially if you've never done much freestyle). BJJ most likely won't have anywhere near the same intensity level, and there are a lot of positional concepts in BJJ that are the direct opposite of what you'd want to do in wrestling (most notably, willingly going to your back to play guard). And you're unlikely to do much of any standing training in BJJ.

Hello everyone. I am interested in taking up either BJJ or Judo as a "bridge". I have wrestled for 9 years up until I graduated high school 3 years ago. My route to college has been delayed due to some personal reasons but I now find myself at 21 re-enrolling into a local CC for 2 years before transferring to a 4-year school. There are a few schools around here who are great choices for my interested major who also have wrestling programs (D3 & NAIA-level). I figured I didn't have anything to lose by trying out when the time came but would need to get back into some kind of grappling, since there are no over-18 wrestling clubs anywhere nearby. So my options would be BJJ or Judo, there's also a sambo school but it's over an hour away but I'd only consider it if it is much better than the other options. I appreciate any feedback, thanks!

Volunteer at a local high school and wrestle. Most coaches will use a young guy like yourself as a drilling partner for one of their better wrestlers. It's how I would use you as a head coach with 8 guys currently helping me. 2 of them are assistants who help run practice and show technique, the other 6 are drill partners and help to add depth in the room.

Just go train with the wrestling teams. They wont mind.

Judo. It's typically trained a lot more like wrestling, and you'll probably pick up some stuff you can use in wrestling (especially if you've never done much freestyle). BJJ most likely won't have anywhere near the same intensity level, and there are a lot of positional concepts in BJJ that are the direct opposite of what you'd want to do in wrestling (most notably, willingly going to your back to play guard). And you're unlikely to do much of any standing training in BJJ.

Yeah but I think it kind of depends on TS's goals. If it's to succeed in wrestling then yeah judo by all means. If it's to be a better overall grappler, he probably already has enough takedowns and positional control after nine years of wrestling, and will get a lot more submission savvy by training BJJ.

Appreciate the responses fellas. Yes, my goal currently is wrestling so I will head over and talk with the coach over at the school about participating in practices as well as judo (the nearby Judo school is taught by Rick Hawn so I think that's pretty cool). Perhaps I will take up BJJ after I'm done with school/wrestling and see how it goes

Appreciate the responses fellas. Yes, my goal currently is wrestling so I will head over and talk with the coach over at the school about participating in practices as well as judo (the nearby Judo school is taught by Rick Hawn so I think that's pretty cool). Perhaps I will take up BJJ after I'm done with school/wrestling and see how it goes

Oh, you're gonna be one of THOSE white belts ;)

Back