Which was a bigger upset...3 choices

Ronda vs Holly based on the choices

GSP vs Serra overall

Holly beating the greatest and most legendary athlete in the history of sports was the biggest

If you read the thread and/or researched, you’d know Holm was +550 and TJ +710. I agree for visibility though.

best fight odds:

QFhOLXp.jpg

O9fyLr3.jpg

Rousey average odds: -1450
Holm average odds: +637

Barao average odds: -832
Holm average odds: +400

It's not even close. Rousey was a bigger favorite than Barao and Holm was a bigger underdog than TJ.

Personally, I was most surprised by TJ over Barao. Up until that point, he was obviously a very good fighter, but he was never a world beater. Then bang (pun intended), he was suddenly one of the best p4p fighters on the planet. Nobody expected it to go down like that.

As for the other two fights, I was on record before those fights saying that Cejudo and Holly had very good chances get the belt. Hell, I even told people that there was a good chance Holly would KO Ronda with a high kick. Not that I'm some soothsayer, but I thought both challengers were clearly bad stylistic match ups for the champions.

TJ vs Barao caught me off guard the most.

I vaguely called the other two. Cue the snoop dog music and the big joint slide over my face.

"If anyone has a chance of beating Ronda it's Holly and her style."

"I'm favoring MM, but it should be a different fight this time around. I expect it to be very competitive."

Like a few others have said GSP losing to Serra was huge. In the rematch we saw what should have been.

Out of your list TJ imo was the craziest. The dismantling had me in awe. I was a bit surprised how well Holms handled Ronda but not nearly to the same level as TJ. And I think MM won.

best fight odds:

QFhOLXp.jpg

O9fyLr3.jpg

It's not even close. Rousey was a bigger favorite than Barao and Holm was a bigger underdog than TJ.
Ok you got me there. Didn’t think to consider average odds, only closing. Thanks for the clarification.

upload_2018-8-9_5-5-27.gif

Rousey's defeat was the biggest upset because she finished most of her opponents within a round and had never really been in trouble.
Johnson, on the other hand, had already gone the distance several times and his loss even looks suspiciously like a win, so it wasn't such a sharp departure from his previous fights.
Although Barao had been dominant, he never achieved the high profile of the other champions under consideration.

Bisping vs rockhold 2 was a bigger upset than all those 3

Ronda v Holly. Not that it wasnt possible Holly could win,but it was shocking and surreal anyway to watch that.

TJ vs Barao 1
Ronda vs Holly
Cedudo vs MM

I would say Cedudo vs MM, just because of the way MM dominated him 2 years ago and it seemed MM wsa getting better each fight and was well rounded

We knew Ronda would struggle against strikers...almost all her dominating wins were against grappler/wrestlers...the only real striker she faced with Bethe...and we all know Bethe is Bethe

Barao had struggled making weight, and we all knew the weight cut was catching up to him
Plus TJ was basically Fabers trained version of Dominic Cruz

talking title fights in ufc it matt serra lucky punch .

Holm vs. Rousey and it's not even close.

Biggest betting odds and by far the biggest upset in combat sports over the last decade in terms of visibility.
serra vs gspwas bigger 2nd was tj vs barao

best fight odds:

QFhOLXp.jpg

O9fyLr3.jpg

Rousey vs Holm hands down! No question. Great Job as usual LouisBolanos ! I was just thinking in my head about the odds couldn't remember the TJ odds but knew it wasn't close was about to go look them up.

best fight odds:

QFhOLXp.jpg

O9fyLr3.jpg

I was in vegas for ufc 173 and the sports books had barao at -950.

For sure cejudo vs midget mouse

It was even bigger than Bisping/Rockhold. They were both dominated in the first meetings, but in the tiny little 125 division they have no power so there is even less chance of upset due to no flash KOs

Cejudo was effortlessly sparked out just 2 years ago and MM had only gotten better, yet Henry went toe to toe with mm

You really consider Cejudo beating MM an upset? When they first fought, Cejudo had only been fight decent competition for 1.5 years, with another 1.5 years fighting bums on the local circuit. After seeing the improvements he made in the Benavidez robbery, followed by his decimation of Reis, I thought this would be a very close fight.

TJ vs Barao 1
Ronda vs Holly
Cedudo vs MM

I would say Cedudo vs MM, just because of the way MM dominated him 2 years ago and it seemed MM wsa getting better each fight and was well rounded

We knew Ronda would struggle against strikers...almost all her dominating wins were against grappler/wrestlers...the only real striker she faced with Bethe...and we all know Bethe is Bethe

Barao had struggled making weight, and we all knew the weight cut was catching up to him
Plus TJ was basically Fabers trained version of Dominic Cruz
TS avatar relevant to thread title

For me it was Rose vs Joanna or Bisping vs Cuckhold. In your list, I’d say Holly.

Cejudo is nowhere near that list because he won by such a slim margin, if any.

I agree with that logic. It's a bigger upset if it's a definitive TKO win versus a questionable split decision.

Back