which styles beat which styles

xMaxPower

Red Belt
Reaction score
let me know what you think sherdog.

for example:
Aldo vs Edgar. Amazing take down defense + very good leg kicks and technical boxing vs wrestler boxer.

throw in some examples from fights coming up if you can.

I don't think any style beats any other style 100% (or almost 100%) of the time, but I like the following dynamic - fundamentally sound fighter with good wrestling beats flashy movement heavy striker. Examples -

Woodley>Wonderboy
RDA>Pettis
DC>Gus
Frankie>Yair
Esparza>Rose
Tate>Holm kind of (I mean, people say Holm is boring now but she was thought to be a flashy dynamic striker after beating Ronda lol)

Ground the flashy! :D

MT beats karate

Wrestling stifles BJJ

I don't think any style beats any other style 100% (or almost 100%) of the time, but I like the following dynamic - fundamentally sound fighter with good wrestling beats flashy movement heavy striker. Examples -

Woodley>Wonderboy
RDA>Pettis
DC>Gus
Frankie>Yair
Esparza>Rose

Tate>Holm kind of (I mean, people say Holm is boring now but she was thought to be a flashy dynamic striker after beating Ronda lol)

Ground the flashy! :D

I second this.
The bolded are excellent examples of this.

MT beats karate

Wrestling stifles BJJ

BJJ stifles wresltlers too. BJJ guys wont be able to get wrestlers to the ground ala Woodley vs Maia. But BJJ guys prefer to be on the ground then wrestlers ala Werdum vs Cain. Bjj vs wrestler is basically a striking match and whoever has the better striking will win.

Also care to go in depth on why MT beats karate?

Uppercut Style > Glover Teixeira Style

Rock < Paper, but Scissors beats paper. But not Rock.

So I mean, it's complicated.

EDIT: This is always the answer to this question.

Last edited:
Also care to go in depth on why MT beats karate?

MT allows for extended clinching, striking from the clinch, as well as sweeps, dumps, and throws from the clinch as well as off caught/blocked kicks. Karate doesn't have that, which is why karate based fighters are weak in the clinch and generally get abused there. If you look at the karate based fighters like Thompson and Machida, they're almost entirely defensive in the clinch, they're trying to get the hell out of there instead of working to do damage. A MT fighter like Matt Brown or Joanna is beating the crap out of their opponents in the clinch with knees, elbows, punches, and kicks, along with throwing them to the ground to work ground & pound. Then there's the takedowns & counters off of caught kicks used in MT which help a lot in shutting down a karateka's kicks, MT has a whole system for blocking & catching kicks to land counters and leg sweeps.

Or in video form. The southpaw is a MT fighter having fun in karate.
Sweep the leg!

No style is superior to another. All styles and techniqes have a time.and a place. The best style is no style as Bruce Lee and even Conor mcgregor have stated.

No style is superior to another. All styles and techniqes have a time.and a place. The best style is no style as Bruce Lee and even Conor mcgregor have stated.

not saying any style is superior to another. But some styles are clearly good against other styles.

Boxer Wrestler with some defensive BJJ might be best. You can keep it standing against BJJ guys and can take down strikers. Aldo was good at beating it, but that was because the wrestle boxers he faced were usually wrestlers first. A Boxer Wrestler with technical striking (McGregor/ Holloway level striking) might be unstoppable.

Boxer Wrestler with some defensive BJJ might be best. You can keep it standing against BJJ guys and can take down strikers. Aldo was good at beating it, but that was because the wrestle boxers he faced were usually wrestlers first. A Boxer Wrestler with technical striking (McGregor/ Holloway level striking) might be unstoppable.

The bolded is so true.

There are very grey borders in this discussion,

But one thing I consistently notice is that long, lanky punchers tend to do well against compact, stocky boxer-wrestler types.

There is a neutralizing effect, at the very least, perhaps intuitive.

Examples: McGregor vs manlet featherweights, Eddie Alvarez,

Stephen Thompson vs Tyron Woodley

Depends how good their boxing and kicking threat is.

Back