Which Star Wars edition (currently available for purchase) is the best?

That is perhaps the most artistically unjustifiable of the whole lot. I think for me it's down to that one and replacing Lapti Nek with whatever that screaming baby shit is in the space nightclub.

And the 3rd through 10th worst would probably top any other director's list of bad retroactive decisions (sans Ridley Scott).

Oh yeah that song is crazy. Not a great song to begin with, but the second song was crazy.

Oh yeah that song is crazy. Not a great song to begin with, but the second song was crazy.

I actually think it's hard to do better than the original for a slightly alien sounding catchy disco nightclub track.

I have original theatrical versions culled from the old laserdics. I only watch those. Not sure if you can buy the real un-fucked versions anymore. Might have to torrent.

People always keep slamming the prequels, but at least they were original and had original ideas.

The force awakens was a shameless f**king reboot and "selling nostalgia" type movie, yet everyone loves it.

Yes, you’re right. That is the best set currently available for purchase.

yeah he took out the yub nubs

I loved the Yub Nub. The new song is awful. Reminded me of the Peruvian Flute episode of South Park. Replacing the Sebastian Shaw force ghost with Hayden Christensen was pretty cringe inducing as well.

Miniscule?

James Cameron's changes to Terminator 2 are miniscule.

Lucas made very substantial changes. He made changes to specifically alter the character of Han Solo. He removed actors from scenes and replaced them with actors from the prequels. He even replaced a song in the soundtrack with some kind of baby music.

The most egregious act in my opinion is changing Vader's force ghost from the actual actor to that Hayden kid who played Anakin. Such trash.

yeah he took out the yub nubs

For me the most egregious change was recently in the blu ray, dubbing in Vader saying “No. Noooooo!” before he turns on the Emperor in Return of the Jedi. Totally out of character for the perpetually stoic Vader, and ruins the scene for me, which is the fucking climax of the film.

I guess Lucas wanted Vader to channel his inner little bitch version of Anakin.

For me the most egregious change was recently in the blu ray, dubbing in Vader saying “No. Noooooo!” before he turns on the Emperor in Return of the Jedi. Totally out of character for the perpetually stoic Vader, and ruins the scene for me, which is the fucking climax of the film.

I guess Lucas wanted Vader to channel his inner little bitch version of Anakin.

That was a terrible change, as was adding Luke screaming when he sacrifices himself at the end of Empire. It completely undermines the scenes. I don't think George Lucas appreciates the value of silence. All of his changes are just adding more crap to the screen or adding more dialogue where there was once a powerful and meaningful silence.

More rocks, more stormtroopers, more aliens, more noises. Do any of his changes involve removing anything?

It's so easy to picture Lucas in the early 80s arguing with Kershner and Marquand to have Luke and Vader yelling in those powerful moments and they're just like "No George, fuck..."

It's so easy to picture Lucas in the early 80s arguing with Kershner and Marquand to have Luke and Vader yelling in those powerful moments and they're just like "No George, fuck..."

This brings to mind another issue I have with all of Lucas’ numerous, nonsensical changes: he didn’t direct Empire and Return. So by what right does he justify changing other directors’ films?

Fucking prick.

This brings to mind another issue I have with all of Lucas’ numerous, nonsensical changes: he didn’t direct Empire and Return. So by what right does he justify changing other directors’ films?

Fucking prick.

Oh be nice. After all, he DID make the first all-black movie.

People always keep slamming the prequels, but at least they were original and had original ideas.

The force awakens was a shameless f**king reboot and "selling nostalgia" type movie, yet everyone loves it.
<mma4> . Agreed - fuck mary sue and cry baby kylo

Luke better wreck shit in this new movie or I'll fill the theatre with uppercuts.

<mma4> . Agreed - fuck mary sue and cry baby kylo

Luke better wreck shit in this new movie or I'll fill the theatre with uppercuts.

We damn well can dream but I don’t see it happening.

Best way for 9 to end is Starkiller showing up out of the blue in the end big bad fight scene with whomever is still standing and just being all

“I’m so tired of this crap” and just laying waste to EVERYONE and dropping the mike and riding off into the sunset with the hot pilot and bringing peace finally to the galaxy. No more Jedi influence, no more sith emperor/snoke stand in bs.

“I’ll show you the Force!” And just ending it.

So you guys are saying I'm SOL and the only option is to torrent a fan-made version?

I'm not looking for the perfect version because I know that doesn't exist. Basically what I want is: 1) original music 2) no crazy CGI additions like Han talking to Jabba. That scene was jarring. 3) the original actors not the prequel actors inserted. I'm fine with the other less significant changes. Does an HD version of this not exist? Isn't there some rerelease of the 90s version on Blu-ray?

So you guys are saying I'm SOL and the only option is to torrent a fan-made version?

I'm not looking for the perfect version because I know that doesn't exist. Basically what I want is: 1) original music 2) no crazy CGI additions like Han talking to Jabba. That scene was jarring. 3) the original actors not the prequel actors inserted. I'm fine with the other less significant changes. Does an HD version of this not exist? Isn't there some rerelease of the 90s version on Blu-ray?

All Blue ray copies I’ve seen are messed with.

Even my normal dvds are messed with. Your only option I beleive is get a vhs or laser disk player or just deal with it.

I have the vhs originals and still have my vhs player but rarely break them out. Normally just deal with the shitty changes and know they shouldn’t be there.

Laser disk is the best quality option

I have original theatrical versions culled from the old laserdics. I only watch those. Not sure if you can buy the real un-fucked versions anymore. Might have to torrent.

Here are the low res dvds. You can still find those pretty easy.

https://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-IV-Hope-Limited/dp/B000FQJAIW?tag=lifehackeramzn-20&ascsubtag=3881b263885b1235bd5937f661fbefd40a672739&rawdata=[r|https://www.google.com/[t|link[p|1747927284[a|B000FQJAIW[au|5716509846451982265[b|lifehacker&pldnSite=1

The thing that is shitty is that I think Lucas trashed the reals so you are never going to get a 4k version of the original theatrical release.

If you go with laserdisc, you have to remember that those are deteriorating. Laserdisc don't last forever and for some movies like Aliens, it is kind of hard to find disc free of rot. The set is two disc and people often got to buy several copies to piece together a good two disc set.

The torrents are better in that they blend the newer editions with the older editions so you are not stuck with low resolution. A lot of effort was put into this. Enough so you would have thought Lucas or I guess now disney would see that their is a market their for the original cut.

Here are the low res dvds. You can still find those pretty easy.

https://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-IV-Hope-Limited/dp/B000FQJAIW?tag=lifehackeramzn-20&ascsubtag=3881b263885b1235bd5937f661fbefd40a672739&rawdata=[r|https://www.google.com/[t|link[p|1747927284[a|B000FQJAIW[au|5716509846451982265[b|lifehacker&pldnSite=1

The thing that is shitty is that I think Lucas trashed the reals so you are never going to get a 4k version of the original theatrical release.

If you go with laserdisc, you have to remember that those are deteriorating. Laserdisc don't last forever and for some movies like Aliens, it is kind of hard to find disc free of rot. The set is two disc and people often got to buy several copies to piece together a good two disc set.

The torrents are better in that they blend the newer editions with the older editions so you are not stuck with low resolution. A lot of effort was put into this. Enough so you would have thought Lucas or I guess now disney would see that their is a market their for the original cut.

To be more clear, I have .mkv files that were culled from the laserdiscs. Not the laserdiscs themselves. They are the highest-quality files I could find of the old (untouched) trilogy. They look a lot better than the old official low-res dvds.

Theatrical (untouched) Star Wars Trilogy >>>>>>> all other bullshit released since

Theatrical Donnie Darko >>>>>>>> Director's Cut released later

Back