Which side of the belt

davejitsu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
...do you tie your black strip to? I know some schools don't care what side it is on, where others dictate the side it must be tied on. Just curious why your school does what it is does.

My school, we tie the black strip to the left hip. Only high ranked bb can wear them to the right.

nope. As a two stripe Blue belt, I still tie my belt like a moron. I should probably learn the legit way to tie a belt. Oh well...

I always try to put them on my right side, but then again, I don't think too much about it.

I thought this thread was a parody that didn't quite come off....

I don't always remember to do it, but I tie my belt so that the stripes are on the left side.

The uniform sits with left lapel over right, and all chest patches on a gi are set on the left side. It seems reasonable to me that the stripes would be on the left side as well.

Stripes on the left is how I see most wear their belts, even instructors.

A school tells you on what side your belt rank strip has to be?!?!? Talking about sticklers. Fuck that!

You are suppose to tie your stripe to the left. This way it's closer to your heart.

You are suppose to tie your stripe to the left. This way it's closer to your heart.

I'm not sure that's the official reasoning, but it sounds like the subtitle to a Lifetime original movie.

I had read that it was suppose to be on the left somewhere in the past... but someone asked Cassio the other day, and he said he didn't know, and that he never actually ever thought about it before. Guess it wasn't even an issue in all his years of training.

I'm not sure that's the official reasoning, but it sounds like the subtitle to a Lifetime original movie.
Yeah, your right, but if you can think of a better reason why it's worn on the left side let me know. I was told this by my old tae kwon do instructor who is a seventh degree black belt and has been training for over 35 years... He was semi old school. I'm just assuming that the reason why the stripe is worn to the left in both martial arts is the same.

Yeah, your right, but if you can think of a better reason why it's worn on the left side let me know. I was told this by my old tae kwon do instructor who is a seventh degree black belt and has been training for over 35 years... He was semi old school. I'm just assuming that the reason why the stripe is worn to the left in both martial arts is the same.
I don't have a clue about this specific case, but quite often I suspect the reason starts off as "because that's what everybody else is doing", and later people try to find some other, more symbolical or mythological reasoning behind it.

I currently wear it in a completely random fashion and don't think or care much about it. If somebody I train with at one point tells me to wear it in some specific way because of tradition, I'll probably start doing that.

The only answers I've heard have been either "on the left" or "i don't know / doesn't matter." Never heard anyone say it's supposed to go on the right. So I put my stripes on the left.

Pretty sure that is for wedding rings, not necessarily BJJ or Taekwondo. The idea of wearing a wedding ring on your left hand because it was supposedly closer to your heart has to do with an old superstition that the vein that feeds your left hand ran straight to the heart and was nicknamed "the vein of love" or something to that effect.

For wedding rings, that seems understandable. Though it may also simply be that most people are right-handed and it makes more sense to wear jewelry on your non-dominant hand. But then there are some cultural variations, and some places have wedding rings on the right hand.

Also, a side preference for donning stuff extends to a lot of things. Medals on military uniforms, handkerchiefs in suit pockets, most shirt chest pockets are situated on the left, you lay the left side of a shirt over the right to button it (for men's shirts anyway), most martial arts uniforms lay left side over the right, etc.

Most of this could reasonably be assumed to do with a preference for righties that eventually just became customary. Easier to grab something in a left shirt chest pocket with your right hand, easier to button a shirt with your right hand, easier to place medals or pins on your left side, etc.

Left is correct in most traditional martial arts. We do not use a stripe system in my dojo, but in my TMA training, left it always was. You can always ask your instructor to see if it matters in your art.

I never been to a place that cared until i started training with Lotus Club bjj academies. with them it is always to your left.

Back