Which school ,FTCC (Darren Uyenoyama) or Ocean Beach Barra Brothers (Carlos Sapao)

Bobby Swisher

White Belt
Reaction score
So I'm making this thread hoping to only get feedback from anyone who trained at both of these gyms or know Darren and Sapao personally. I live 15mins closer to FTCC, I've stopped by FTCC and checked out their classes for a week. It seems that the Jiujitsu team at FTCC is quite small, the morale of the students feel low and I've noticed Darren is hardly at the gym to teach, he seems more focused on his own personal goals rather than the growth of both the students and the gym. I came to train at FTCC hoping to actually learn from Darren directly at least half the time but nothing so far. Darren seem like a real cool chill guy but I'm starting to feel uncertainty of the future of this gym. It would stay if only we get to see Darren actually teaching! I do like the cool and chill comfortable vibe in there.

Sapao's I've trained there once-twice and there was a lot more students and newer and spacious mat space. Sapao seems to teach more of the classes although he got 2 more instructors to teach, I'd love to train there but it's like 30mins away and about $40 more a month ,expensive!

What do you guys think? Just wanted some feedback, preferably by people that know and trained at both or one of these gyms/instructors. THANKS

I think that the guys at Ocean Beach are really cool, handsome, and all around good guys.

Did you want to compete? Is this strictly recreational? Do you like doing no-gi?

Depends on what you want; more strict bjj or some wrestling and nogi thrown in and maybe mma.

I can't speak for the longevity of FTCC, but I know Darren was just in Japan for a fight so maybe that had something to do with attendance/him not teaching.

Renan from Barra Bros is a cool dude. Never make it out to Ocean Beach, but he tells me it's a laid back BJJ gym. But pretty much what GJJNY and stile0 said. Can't go wrong either way, just depends on what you want.

I think that the guys at Ocean Beach are really cool, handsome, and all around good guys.

Did you want to compete? Is this strictly recreational? Do you like doing no-gi?

Thanks for your input, yes I want to eventually compete some more. I'm just hesitant because of the drive back and fourth home and the fees. I'm planning in coming by next week and do a class again, hopefully I can talk to one of the owners to see what they can do for me in regards to membership.

Depends on what you want; more strict bjj or some wrestling and nogi thrown in and maybe mma.

I can't speak for the longevity of FTCC, but I know Darren was just in Japan for a fight so maybe that had something to do with attendance/him not teaching.

Yea that's true but from my experience and also from the students that been there for quite awhile, he rarely teaches even if he's not fighting or traveling. Respectfully, his gym can do a lot better if he paid a bit more attention to it. I see the potential in the school but question is if he's actually going to make any progress. I voiced this to one of the instructors already because I don't see Darren. Sorta disappointed.

Thanks for your input, yes I want to eventually compete some more. I'm just hesitant because of the drive back and fourth home and the fees. I'm planning in coming by next week and do a class again, hopefully I can talk to one of the owners to see what they can do for me in regards to membership.

What kind of grappling experience do you have? Are you a fresh white belt? I should be there everyday next week except Thursday and Saturday. I'd be happy to partner up with you during drills and what not.

Just a FYI. We aren't a competition heavy school. It's basically myself who competes regularly. Some others do compete as well, but sporadically. Also, we're gi only.

you seem very opinionated on how they should run their gym based on all of a week's visit to the place

I have a friend at FTCC. He seems to like it. Eventually I'd like to go check it out.

Alternative option:

http://bayjiujitsu.com/

I've never been, but Stephan is a really good instructor.

Although also this:
you seem very opinionated on how they should run their gym based on all of a week's visit to the place

Maybe you should give the guy who teaches when Uyenoyama's not there a bit of credit.

When I lived in sf I went to ftcc and had a similar experience as the ts. I ended up choosing Ab Mma which I was very happy with.

Maybe you should give the guy who teaches when Uyenoyama's not there a bit of credit.

Who teaches for BC when he's not there, Yuji?

I know all those guys from both schools very well, you can't go wrong either way even if the owner isn't teaching.

Not necessarily running the gym rather just asking the presence of the main instructor is all my issue is. You add the 2 week experience with feedback from friends that train there for years and including another instructor is where I got my feedback/opinion from.

Who teaches for BC when he's not there, Yuji?

I know all those guys from both schools very well, you can't go wrong either way even if the owner isn't teaching.

His brown belt and purple belts. Don't get me wrong, I dig the other instructors, all I'm saying is that it'd be nice to train and learn from the actual person who opened the gym once in a while. I got nothing bad to say about the other instructors, they are great. I just feel that the students need a bit more of a push and support from Darren directly.

almost every big name school with a UFC fighter or renown competitor/coach as owner has the same situation

do you think Brandon Vera or Phil Davis teaches daily at alliance? Couture a xTreme Couture? Cesar Gracie?

I train at Ralph Gracie's. But, I signed my son up at Barra Bros. for two reasons:

1. I heard an interview with Carlos and liked what he had to say. Then, I went and watched a class without my son (He's 12). I liked what I saw. Carlos doesn't allow the children to goof off. He's very serious about his Academy, however, this doesn't translate into a big ego trip from him, nor, his co-partners, nor his students.

2. His class schedule fits my son's Judo "off days" schedule.

If you want strict BJJ, I can wholeheartedly recommend Barra Bros.

And, if it takes 30 minutes to get to Barra, you could also just jump on 280 and get to El Nino as well.

I train at Ralph Gracie's. But, I signed my son up at Barra Bros. for two reasons:

1. I heard an interview with Carlos and liked what he had to say. Then, I went and watched a class without my son (He's 12). I liked what I saw. Carlos doesn't allow the children to goof off. He's very serious about his Academy, however, this doesn't translate into a big ego trip from him, nor, his co-partners, nor his students.

And, if it takes 30 minutes to get to Barra, you could also just jump on 280 and get to El Nino as well.

He definitely works the kids.

Sounds to me like the OP has an axe to grind. Why not just visit Barra Bros to see for yourself? And why have you rulled out Ralph's?

Thanks for the input, yes I do want to focus on GI first and then eventually jump into No-Gi, Muay thai etc...I would consider El Nino as my buddys train there but they do not offer morning Jiujitsu there and that is when Im only available.

Sounds to me like the OP has an axe to grind. Why not just visit Barra Bros to see for yourself? And why have you rulled out Ralph's?

I rules out Ralph's because its too expensive and the parking is a bitch. I know because I've also did a week trial there. Love the class and instruction but I also have a budget that did not fit. Trust me, that would have been my go-to if I didnt have any budget restrictions.

In regards to Barra Bros, yes I've tried the classes bafore and I enjoyed but I really have to think about my next move and if I'm going to be able to take a total of 1 hours round trip from the academy and back home. This thread was just a way to vent and get some feedback from students that had experience from either gym.

Back