Which Reyes model offers the most pop

Ryyonvin

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

After owning both winning and grant gloves, I'm looking to "complete the holy trinity" and buy a pair of Cleto Reyes specifically for bag and pad work. I've noticed there's several different models out there and was wondering which would give the most feedback when working the bag and mitts.

Feel free to make any other suggestions as to your favorite gloves that offer a lot of "pop" as given my past history I'll probably end up purchasing more than one pair of gloves.

The standard model (laceup or velcro training gloves) and most popular.

I have owned both the standard models (both of the above), and the extra padding model.

I would say the that the pop is similar, but a bit louder and more satisfactory with the standard model.

But I feel that the Rival Evolution RB11 bag gloves offer even more pop than the Reyes, and more protective/comfortable.

Winning/Reyes/Grant = The Holy Trinity indeed.

But Rival has gone a long way since its introduction over 10 years ago, and I think at this point it would be fair to join the big 3.

Winning/Reyes/Grant/Rival = The 4 Kings of Boxing.

Wow, you really love Rival...

That I do. In this case I'm simply referring to boxing brand worldwide recognition and quality.

It's no secret that Rival have been featured in many big fights in recent years.

Basically, when you think Boxing, you would think one of those brands.

Rival was basically in a Sabas' position back in 2005 or something.

Wouldn't be surprised if Sabas became the next big brand in several years.

Then we would have.. The Big 5!

*reminiscing about 2006~ first glove purchase ever at a Big 5... those darn cheap Everlasts and Centurys*

Now that I think about it... I forgot about Everlast lol. Their quality control issues with even their high end gloves combined with how easily their low end gear can be found in stores, really places a blur on the brand.

Last edited:
The standard model (laceup or velcro training gloves) and most popular.

I have owned both the standard models (both of the above), and the extra padding model.

I would say the that the pop is similar, but a bit louder and more satisfactory with the standard model.

But I feel that the Rival Evolution RB11 bag gloves offer even more pop than the Reyes, and more protective/comfortable.

Winning/Reyes/Grant = The Holy Trinity indeed.

But Rival has gone a long way since its introduction over 10 years ago, and I think at this point it would be fair to join the big 3.

Winning/Reyes/Grant/Rival = The 4 Kings of Boxing.

That's a strong endorsement putting Rival up there with those. Only tried a friends pair once and enjoyed them, couldnt tell you the model though.

I appreciate the feedback, been leaning towards the safetec model though because I love lighter weight gloves for bag and pad work. Any opinion on choosing the safetecs over the other models you've used?

That's a strong endorsement putting Rival up there with those. Only tried a friends pair once and enjoyed them, couldnt tell you the model though.

I appreciate the feedback, been leaning towards the safetec model though because I love lighter weight gloves for bag and pad work. Any opinion on choosing the safetecs over the other models you've used?

Well I wouldn't say Rival is in exactly the same league as those 3 in terms of quality/consistency, but maybe right under them. Like the little brother of the big 3. The next best thing.

Yeah they've got plenty of models, I have no experience with their lower end ones nor do I know anything about them.

Reyes Safetec fight gloves. Those felt like a light, thick, soft IMF-type foam, with virtually no wrist support. Which shouldn't be too surprising, considering pro fight gloves generally don't have good wrist support (this should be coming from your wraps).

I like them, they are probably my 2nd favorite fight glove to train in (first being Winning's fight glove), due to the protection and durability.

I would probably prefer them over the Reyes trainers if you really want speed and light gloves. The trainers tend to come in 2 ounces heavier, and their lightest model is 12oz... which would probably weigh 14oz.

Well I wouldn't say Rival is in exactly the same league as those 3 in terms of quality/consistency, but maybe right under them. Like the little brother of the big 3. The next best thing.

Yeah they've got plenty of models, I have no experience with their lower end ones nor do I know anything about them.

Reyes Safetec fight gloves. Those felt like a light, thick, soft IMF-type foam, with virtually no wrist support. Which shouldn't be too surprising, considering pro fight gloves generally don't have good wrist support (this should be coming from your wraps).

I like them, they are probably my 2nd favorite fight glove to train in (first being Winning's fight glove), due to the protection and durability.

I would probably prefer them over the Reyes trainers if you really want speed and light gloves. The trainers tend to come in 2 ounces heavier, and their lightest model is 12oz... which would probably weigh 14oz.

Ah winning 10 oz fight gloves, I've yet to find a pair I like better than those. Wrist support has never been a high priority for me so I don't mind the lack of support on the safetecs. I'm assuming you still got some nice pop with the safetecs? I appreciate all the feedback, it's definitely very helpful.

Ah winning 10 oz fight gloves, I've yet to find a pair I like better than those. Wrist support has never been a high priority for me so I don't mind the lack of support on the safetecs. I'm assuming you still got some nice pop with the safetecs? I appreciate all the feedback, it's definitely very helpful.

Yup, still good pop from the Safetecs. Not quite as much as the regular Reyes fight gloves, or Everlast MX fight gloves, but it's still pretty satisfactory.

Cleto's quality aren't as good as they once were. The Big brands (aside from Winning) are all dropping in quality, we're in the stage where brands like Sabas, Rival, Fairtex, Twins can all get their foot in the door.

Cleto's quality aren't as good as they once were. The Big brands (aside from Winning) are all dropping in quality, we're in the stage where brands like Sabas, Rival, Fairtex, Twins can all get their foot in the door.

Is this based off of personal experience or are you going off of what others have said? I haven't seen anything about Reyes dropping in quality on this website.

Is this based off of personal experience or are you going off of what others have said? I haven't seen anything about Reyes dropping in quality on this website.

Personal experience. Cleto's have dropped from the quality of 5 years ago. I've owned over 20 different types of gloves. The only brand I haven't tried are Grants because I'm not spending $500 on gloves that last 6 months

Personal experience. Cleto's have dropped from the quality of 5 years ago. I've owned over 20 different types of gloves. The only brand I haven't tried are Grants because I'm not spending $500 on gloves that last 6 months

I appreciate the feedback. I just purchased a pair of the safetecs, I'll let you guys know if the quality is poor.

can also vouch that Cleto's dropped in quality, their training gloves specifically.

Someone came in last night with a pair of old cletos... man those were beautiful. Either someone there forgot how to make those gloves, or they just decided to take shortcuts because people will still keep buying them.

I don't have experience with the Cleto fight glove, but I assume that's the glove they make to the highest of their standards. Same with Grant actually. Their training gloves look amazing, but they're inconsistent and have issues.

can also vouch that Cleto's dropped in quality, their training gloves specifically.

Someone came in last night with a pair of old cletos... man those were beautiful. Either someone there forgot how to make those gloves, or they just decided to take shortcuts because people will still keep buying them.

I don't have experience with the Cleto fight glove, but I assume that's the glove they make to the highest of their standards. Same with Grant actually. Their training gloves look amazing, but they're inconsistent and have issues.

Well damnit haha, really hope the fight gloves are still up to the old standard. Worst case scenario I'll just sell them and then purchase something else.

Damn that's unfortunate.

In what specific ways have the quality gone down? Stitching, padding, fit, leather, etc?

So which major brand can we always trust with quality and consistency? Winning?

Dear god if Winning ever decides to go the shortcut route... it would be a black eye on boxing. Almost like as if McGregor beat Floyd in a boxing match. Or knocking him down lol.

The biggest thing for me with Cleto glove is the shape, which affects the fit and also how shots are landed wearing the gloves. The current iteration is so boxy, like some other mexican gloves look. I wonder if the boxier gloves are just easier to make - probably a cost saving measure.

Leather from what I've seen is consistent, and very durable. I don't think there's an issue with stitching either, and I'm sure the padding has stayed the same.

I really don't think Winning will ever go that route. I forsee winning taking a beating like Kamegai received from Cotto than ever reducing quality. Not saying that Winning gloves haven't changed. Winning Training gloves used to have a longer cuff, but so did a lot of gloves back then.

Winning are Japanese efficiency in a glove, they pride themselves on quality while companies like Grant were happy to just be the most seen, companies like Cleto had to find shortcuts when the market dropped for them.

Just got my 10oz safetecs last night. Incredibly comfortable and well crafted. Can't speak on performance though since I've yet to use them. Wish I had an old pair to compare them too so I could see if the quality has indeed dropped.

@Ryyonvin

my bit about quality drop in Reyes has to do specifically with their training gloves. As far as I know, their fight gloves, safetecs included, haven't dropped in quality at all.

EDIT: also, safetecs are a newer model. There are no old safetecs. Yes, safetecs are fight style gloves that are meant for training purposes, but they can and have been used in fights.

@Ryyonvin

my bit about quality drop in Reyes has to do specifically with their training gloves. As far as I know, their fight gloves, safetecs included, haven't dropped in quality at all.

EDIT: also, safetecs are a newer model. There are no old safetecs. Yes, safetecs are fight style gloves that are meant for training purposes, but they can and have been used in fights.

If I recall correctly, aren't the safetecs actually using the same fight glove pattern, leather, stitching, etc, but replacing the horse hair padding with longer-lasting foam?

Back