Which rep intensity/volume is better for strength gains?

00 Buck

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Say squat:

365x5 (5RM)
315x7
315x5

or take my 5RM and do 4 sets of 3?
365x3
365x3
365x3
365x3

Is the increased volume at a higher weight better for a stronger squat?

Look up the waterbury method if you're going to go with either of your suggestions.

^interesting, thanks.

So basically 3 days a week, 10x3 for the first compound lift then 4x6 for accessories?

Sounds reasonable.

I'm trying to learn the olympic lifts, so I will have to adjust the accessories and overall volume a little. But the 10x3 part sounds awesome for squats, chin ups, and SOHP.

Waterbury is a weird guy. About 8 years ago he asked if he could (without being paid) teach conditioning classes at Rickson's school and then started marketing himself as Rickson's S&C coach. And sometimes he designs programs and tells you to lift at your 37 rep max.

I would look into Pavel, Kortes, Bill Starr, Stuart McRoberts, Mike Mahler or Steve Justa if you want to get strong on sets of 3-5 reps.

Say squat:

365x5 (5RM)
315x7
315x5

or take my 5RM and do 4 sets of 3?
365x3
365x3
365x3
365x3

Is the increased volume at a higher weight better for a stronger squat?

You actually have a higher total volume from the first one if you add up the total weight. Regardless, I don't know why you're asking this when you should just be on a regular intermediate weightlifting program that does this for you. Is there some reason you don't just use something like the Texas Method, 531, or Madcow? All of them will regulate this for you.

92864153.gif

I've found good strength gains with 8 sets of 3 reps on squat and deadlifts, i also found more volume work was needed for my pressing strength to improve (bench/OHP). just my two cents, I've no doubt that the programs mentioned above are better.

Great video thank you for sharing this. I recently made a thread on my shitty bench and actually came to the same conclusion as this guy. I was tired of grinding myself into the floor with linear progression on my bench by only manipulating intensity but now i have a much broader spectrum to work with, with submaximal intensity but accumulating more volume over time with it. This video helped reaffirm this for me.

Great video thank you for sharing this. I recently made a thread on my shitty bench and actually came to the same conclusion as this guy. I was tired of grinding myself into the floor with linear progression on my bench by only manipulating intensity but now i have a much broader spectrum to work with, with submaximal intensity but accumulating more volume over time with it. This video helped reaffirm this for me.
yeah, I think its the single biggest mistake intermediate lifters make. It took me several years of plateaus to realize this.

Wtf!!
I've found good strength gains with 8 sets of 3 reps on squat and deadlifts, i also found more volume work was needed for my pressing strength to improve (bench/OHP). just my two cents, I've no doubt that the programs mentioned above are better.
!?? 8 sets I've nvr heard of guys going over even 5 heavy

Wtf!!

!?? 8 sets I've nvr heard of guys going over even 5 heavy
It's only 3 reps 80-85% of 1rm per set. 24 reps total. Not that much with 2-3 minute rests between sets. I got it off a t-nation article, liked it, had decent results. Think it could benefit others.

Most strength workouts are only 3 sets of that workload I guess if lifting a all you do then sure

I didn't say you do 5x5. Surprising as it is, this thread isn't about you. Surely you are aware that 5x5 is a pretty often used weight training scheme.

Again I ask, what do you think is the difference between 5x5 and 8x3?

I didn't say you do 5x5. Surprising as it is, this thread isn't about you. Surely you are aware that 5x5 is a pretty often used weight training scheme.

Again I ask, what do you think is the difference between 5x5 and 8x3?

Interesting question, so I have to take a look at the numbers. Say I squat 400, and I'm going to do a workout at an intensity matching my current max, in order to make strength gains for an improved future max.

A conservative estimate of weight for a 5RM would be about 87%, or 348. A conservative estimate of weight for a 3RM would be about 93%, or 372.

So the comparison would be 5 sets of 5 reps with 348 vs. 8 sets of 3 reps with 372.

In the 5x5, total weight lifted is 8,700. In the 8x3, total weight lifted is 8,928. Plus, you're working at a higher percentage of your 1RM. So I'd guess your legs would get more of a beating with the 8x3, seeing that it's more volume and a higher weight lifted.

(Volume overall isn't a great measure by itself. 10 sets of 10 with 135 is 13,500 pounds total lifted, but you're not going to be blown out by that workout as much as 8 x 3 x 372.)

I recently hit a PR on 5x5 and on 8 sets of 3. The weight I could use on 8 sets of 3 was only 5% higher than the weight used on 5x5.

did not think 8x3 would be so controversial

Back