Which part of fist should connect when I throw a vertical hook?

chirpsman

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hi there, I was always taught that a vertical hook should connect with the flat of the fist underneath the knuckles, however I see many people throwing wide hooks which collide like thisbax.jpg bax2.jpg bax3.jpg

Surely this would cause the fist to connect with the opponent with this part of the fist

fist.jpg

How do fighters punch like that? I have thrown wide vertical hooks on the heavy bag and collided with this part of the fist and it hurts like phuckk. Insight needed
Thanks

I was taught to curl my wrist more on this, if your finger is hitting then its not right, it should still be top 2 knuckles. Also not curling it in hurts my wrist esp. on padwork, with it being jammed up.

Also on the heavy bag it depends on where you hit, it is a hook so try to treat it like you are sparring against a live human. So punch more to the front of the bag, think 7-8 or 4-5 on a clock, instead of 9 or 3

Backside of the middle-finger knuckle.

That shit in the photos is called "slapping."

It's supposed to be on the first two knuckles, but a lot of boxers will slap if they can get away with it. Muhammed Ali used to do it all the time and Joe Calzaghe pretty much always did it. The reason you see it a lot is because the slap is longer than the hook and still hurts to be hit with, so for some it's just logical to slap rather than throw a wide hook.

It's all preference though ultimately. Although I believe in Amateur Boxing you have to throw the hooks properly, although I'm not clear on the rules

Mma hooks are different from boxing, you should corkscrew enough to connect with the first two knuckles, the thumb ends facing the floor

No, there's no such things as an "MMA hook"...there's long hooks and short, then there's correct and incorrect ways to throw those.

Because they can get away with it with their gloves on. Also, they don't hit them with 100% if hooking like that. You should still hit with the knuckles.

Diaz meant to hit with knuckles but Anderson ducked it seems like. Also, it's bad habits from other fighters. I see too many people training on pads hitting like that cuz it's easier/faster and they can get away with it with their big 16oz boxing gloves.

I see people slap the bag when doing hook kick combos. Instead of a real hook then kick, they slap and kick cuz it's faster or whatever.

I try my best to throw the perfect hook but it's slow and awkward. Other guys throw it faster and smoother but lands weirdly.

What about Russian Hooks? They're more overhand than hook though.
Is a 'russian hook' even a thing? I feel like the only time I've ever seen it mentioned is when talking about Fedor and a quick google search supports that.

It's a thing, the Russians came up with a more straight trajectory hook for when they're at distance. So you don't open your hand in the opposite direction and leave an opening for a counter. It's like flipping a jab upside down and goes right around a high guard when timed and placed properly. Then the Cubans inherited it with Cold War alliance. They call it "El Swing" and added a bit more dramatic arm motion to compliment their use of movement.

Look close and you'll see what appears to be jabs that aren't jabs:

Though because I'm not IN Russia or Cuba, for my teaching purposes we just refer to it as a "long" hook.

No, there's no such things as an "MMA hook"...there's long hooks and short, then there's correct and incorrect ways to throw those.

When you say long and short, do you still want the 'backside' of the middle knuckle to be the location of impact? Are you partial to the vertical hand for the hook? If so, how come?

Thanks!

It's a thing, the Russians came up with a more straight trajectory hook for when they're at distance. So you don't open your hand in the opposite direction and leave an opening for a counter. It's like flipping a jab upside down and goes right around a high guard when timed and placed properly. Then the Cubans inherited it with Cold War alliance. They call it "El Swing" and added a bit more dramatic arm motion to compliment their use of movement.

Though because I'm not IN Russia or Cuba, for my teaching purposes we just refer to it as a "long" hook.

If I am not mistaken, I think Bisping used a similar (or the same) technique to rock anderson silva
bisping1.jpg bisping2.png bisping3.png

Seems like a very long looping hook with the thumb down that connects with the front 2 knuckles. I have seen very few fighters use this, however when it has been used I've seen great results, especially from the Diaz brothers.

This is how I was taught to throw my hooks, I guess cuban influence spread a bit to South America. When I like to use it is when someones gets too comfortable parrying my jab, Ill hook off it into one of these and it can be thrown from pretty far away compared to a vertical hook.

When you say long and short, do you still want the 'backside' of the middle knuckle to be the location of impact? Are you partial to the vertical hand for the hook? If so, how come?

Thanks!

Long hook, the elbow flips over and the pointer finger knuckle is the point of impact. Short hook is the backside of the middle-finger knuckle. Long and short are the distance, you could also say far and close. But you ALWAYS want a knuckle aimed. Otherwise you run more risk of breaking your hand than you do hurting the opponent.

That's the view I was taking correct and incorrect. I'm thinking the correct hooks have better body mechanics behind them and land with way more power.

I've never had a "slap" hook have much power cause my elbow and forarm aren't lined up behind my fist. More like a rotating whipping motion slap. To generate any real power I'd have to open up my defense wide open. Not going to happen, LOL!

That's the view I was taking correct and incorrect. I'm thinking the correct hooks have better body mechanics behind them and land with way more power.

I've never had a "slap" hook have much power cause my elbow and forarm aren't lined up behind my fist. More like a rotating whipping motion slap. To generate any real power I'd have to open up my defense wide open. Not going to happen, LOL!
You can still generate power with a "slap" tho, if your name is Junior Dos Santos :D
Junior%2Bdos%2BSantos%2BDrops%2BStipe%2BMiocic%2BUFC%2Bon%2BFox%2B13.gif

You can still generate power with a "slap" tho, if your name is Junior Dos Santos :D
Junior%2Bdos%2BSantos%2BDrops%2BStipe%2BMiocic%2BUFC%2Bon%2BFox%2B13.gif
LOL, yeah when the guy walks right into it! Seriously

JDS is what 260?

He pats u on the cheek and your face hurts for a month, haha!

Back