Which one of the oldschool K-1 fighters would you enjoy most seeing in the UFC

Jerome is my all time favorite. Too old now though.

If I had to pick one, it would obviously be Andy Hug.

Why? Because hes like a real-life, Swiss version of Ryu/Ken from Street Fighter. Threw everything from axe kicks to the Hug Tornado to the kitchen sink at his opponents.

We have never seen anything like an offensive hurricane like Andy Hug in the UFC, and never will.

LeBanner1.gif

Hari for sure because of aggression. I still like watching Souwer but his style isn't best suited for mma. Still a fun style, good technique. Zambidis' works better at least as a Wand template. Seeing Hoost & Buakaw in their prime in the UFC would be cool as hell but I think we got the big 3 already for style that works in both with Cro Cop, Hunt and Reem.

S

Spong is 2-0 with 1 dec and 1 ko, fought for WSOF in 12/13 and never fought since
Okay, it's a pity because he was a very very talented kickboxer and moved up his weight for K1 right when K1 went bankrupt. I saw him on the TUF show as a coach but haven't heard from him since... at his old weight (around 80-85 kg) and with a good TDD he could be a threath to anyone...

Also, Changpuek Kiatsongrit at 155 or 170. A lightweight/welterweight who holds 3 wins over Rob Kaman and has the balls to fight Ernesto Hoost, Andy Hug and Branko Cikatic.

Nokweed Davy as well, fought Le Banner and took him the distance, even walking him down at times despite giving up 60-70 lbs. Changpuek and Nokweed would terrorize the lower weight divisions.

Semmy Shilt of course... Best K1 fighter of all time. Imagine his standup with a ground game like Struve... The guy would have been a monster.

He only fought twice in the UFC and matched up poorly against Barnett.

And Shilt fucked him up...something that happened in kickboxing often,but Shilt wins most of the time,in my opinion,and most people's.

Except there really wasn't any "no holds barred" events,besides pre 90's,there was always no eye gouging,no fish hoooking etc.Just labelled "no holds barred" cause it sells.Plus iirc seeing the fighters meeting in backstage footage discussing the "rules" etc.The guy just fought like a scumbag,don't try to juice his karma numbers :)
Whaoooooo way to show me your knowledge...

Kickboxers had limited knowledge of nhb/mma. There's a video from the 90s with Aerts, hoost and others discussing how mma/nhb is not a sport.

I still like watching Souwer but his style isn't best suited for mma. Still a fun style, good technique.
Indeed, Souwer likes to box from a close distance which is not smart in MMA. Aldo actually used to come over to the Netherlands to train with Souwer!

Prime Ignashov is one of the GOATS kick box.

Props on the extensive K1 knowledge. 90s K1 is some of the most entertaining combat in the history of Sports.

The wars, the storylines, the personalities, the production value and the stadiums filled with 60k plus fans.

Legendary stuff and its nice to see posters with knowledge on it.

Hespect.

Thanks, I wish I was watching them live but I didnt get into K-1 until like 2002. Had to download all the grainy matches off of Azureus or Napster or whatever file sharing was around back then. Ignashov and Crocop were two of the guys that got me really into it.

I love watching Glory now too but its nowhere near as exciting :(

Honestly I think Semmy is someone who we never really got to see the best of in MMA due to match making. His background and body type ment he was never going to have great takedown defence but he was actually pretty good on the ground by the time the 00's rolled around. The problem was he ended up against a lot of really dangerous sub grapplers(Fedor, Nog, Barnett, Sergei) who were also not easy to finish standing, you match him up with strikers or indeed grapplers with less sub game or more hittable opponents standing generally and I think he could have picked up some good wins.

Keep in mind that much of his MMA career was in Pancrase as well.... where you weren't even allowed to hit with an open fist.

His losses in Pride/UFC were all to top 5 HWs (whom also were all great grapplers).

This. The best tactical mind in combat sports ever. Andy beat Branco before he'd ever propperly transitioned to pure kickboxing from Seidokaikan, but was able to read a monster like Branko on the spot, and to outpoint him.

He'd rule the MW class with an Iron fist.

I'd like to see a younger, actually cross-trained, actually giving a fuck,MW (He competed at 86 Kg until K1 emerged) Branko puching holes in wrasslers.
Semmy Schilt with proper take down defense training. Nobody in the world can stand with the guy.
Why so many people in this thread talk about Semmy like he actually hadn't more than forty MMA fights? It's super weird.

Gokhan Saki for sure.

Also Aleksei "the red scorpion" Ignashov.

Back