Which of these fighters has the best shot at becoming champion again?

nick jacoby

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
At any weight class. Whether it be the one they're currently in or if they move up/down in the future

Cody Garbrandt
Frankie Edgar
Chris Weidman
Luke Rockhold
Fabricio Werdum
Cain Velasquez
Rafael Dos Anjos

Would love to see Frankie at 135 reckon he could do some damage. But have to concur Garbrandt is a good choice at 125. Have heard Cain's back in training and at his best he beats everyone at HW but not sure if he'll ever get back into the cage let alone back to his best.

Garbrandt. Weidman.

Why is Frankie even an option. He definitely can't recapture Lightweight, he can't get past Aldo at Featherweight and he's never beating TJ or Cruz at Bantamweight. Cain can get his belt back once DC retires.

At any weight class. Whether it be the one they're currently in or if they move up/down in the future

Cody Garbrandt
Frankie Edgar
Chris Weidman
Luke Rockhold
Fabricio Werdum
Cain Velasquez
Rafael Dos Anjos
I cheer for Edgar but Cody Garbage and Cuckhold have a better chance. I think Cain died.

Why is Frankie even an option. He definitely can't recapture Lightweight, he can't get past Aldo at Featherweight and he's never beating TJ or Cruz at Bantamweight. Cain can get his belt back once DC retires.

You don't rate him a chance against Cruz? TJ might be a bridge too far but it would be competitive especially on the ground. I'd say Frankie's a far better bet than Cain who hasn't fought since mid 2016 and has fought a total of what 2 times in the past 5 years?

I think Cain would get an immediate TS if he asked Dana, no one else on that list would.

Cain's skill + sea level = champion again.

Cody's next on my list...
Cody's skill + speed = champion again
But as we know, skill + speed - chin = runner-up.

For what it's worth, I think most of the fighters on that list are pretty shot (after years of brutal wars) & are conpeting in deep divisions.

Edgar's a fantastic fighter & deserves the belt again, but I can't see anyone else except Cain & Cody actually getting it.

-Weidman is one more brutal TKO from being a vegetable.
-Edgar will never get around Aldo.
-Cody when/if TJ gets popped.
-DJ, sure.
-RDA is a gatekeeper now.
-Rockhold is a glass cannon so it depends.
-Cain and Werdum are big maybes, at HW you never know.

Seems a long shot for all of them, I love Frankie to death but he has had more title shot fails weather it be in the fight itself or the fight falling through then I can't count on 1 or 2 hands since he was champion.

Garbrandt at 125.

He'll be destroyed by both DJ and Cejudo. Both are high IQ fighters with a diverse range of skills like TJ and even if they can't beat Cody with their plan A they have their plan B, C, D, E all locked and loaded. Very difficult for a fighter who relies on sheer talent like Cody to compete with them.

The heavy weight division is paper thin and Cains style is perfect for longevity.

I think it's possible for Chris Weidman to get the belt back assuming all the stars align. Same with Luke Rockhold at 205.

Frankie Edgar has to get by Aldo, Holloway.. Ortega.

RDA just lost to Colby. Could he beat Woodley? Maybe if he's given a chance.

DJ at 125
Cody at 125 and 135
Frankie at 135 if Marlon doesn't beat TJ
Luke at 205 after DC vacates the belt
Cain at HW after DC retires
Joanna at W125

Conor has his title shot booked at least. He has the best shot I would say. MM should have a good crack at getting his back. How about GSP, maybe he needs to beat one contender at 155 or 170 to get a shot.
Of the group listed I would say they all have a slim chance , Weidman maybe.

Last edited:
You don't rate him a chance against Cruz? TJ might be a bridge too far but it would be competitive especially on the ground. I'd say Frankie's a far better bet than Cain who hasn't fought since mid 2016 and has fought a total of what 2 times in the past 5 years?
No I've never liked his chances against Cruz. My little brother is a die-hard Frankie fan, I'm a die-hard Cruz fan. When Dom had the belt I said to him that Frankie was fucked no matter which division he went in and I think that's still the case. Frankie is a phenomenal fighter I just think his time has passed, he relied a lot on being the quicker man at Lightweight, at Featherweight it's a fairly level playing field but I don't see him getting a shot unless he somehow bypasses Aldo. At Bantamweight what little speed advantage he's had during his career will be all but lost, Bantams are working on a whole different level of speed plus no one knows how Frankie would handle the weight cut either, he could be alright or he could turn to shit, who knows?

Back