Which of our ancestors made the most sturdy, and effective battle ready swords

Discussion in 'Weapons and Tactics' started by MadSquabbles500, Oct 18, 2015.

1. ShinkanPo

ShinkanPo Steel Belt

The Koreans had some Awesome swords the Chinese too, the Arabs with Dasamucs is a fear!

2. KBE6EKCTAH_CCP

KBE6EKCTAH_CCP Arrow sash belt with Lederhosen

3. FyrFytr998

FyrFytr998 Gemtor Belt

Damn. 11 pages ranging from swords to sword fighting, and not one obligatory post of the greatest sword ever made. I am disappoint.

[​IMG]

Seriously though, This was a great read. Especially reading that dudes journey into sport fencing. My problem doing something like that is that I’m a lefty. Not sure how that translates to sport. I’m no Inigo Montoya.....

[​IMG]

Seaside likes this.
  4. KBE6EKCTAH_CCP

Being a lefty is an advantage, brosky.

FyrFytr998 likes this.
  5. FyrFytr998

FyrFytr998 Gemtor Belt

<TheWire1>

Go on.........

6. KBE6EKCTAH_CCP

Well in a way like being a southpaw in boxing. It is rare. Or even rarer in fencing. Like 1/20.

So when you fight one you re like wtf is this.

FyrFytr998 likes this.
  7. JSN

JSN #NotMyNelly

sounds nice in theory and all until some rough Spaniard grabs your wrist and prevents you from drawing and then cuts a second mouth on your throat with his navaja.

RyanR, Seaside and esotamoc like this.
  8. Doughbelly

Doughbelly αlpha-nerdette, action scientist

That’s why in modern derivatives of the traditional Japanese fighting arts such as jujitsu, the first thing a white belt says when you say, “show me jujitsu,” is, “here, grab my wrist.”

9. esotamoc

esotamoc Purple Belt

Europeans developed daggers for exactly that purpose. the myth of the quick draw superhuman samurai comes from japanese film makers emulating westerns

Seaside and JSN like this.
  10. I WILL CUT YOU

I WILL CUT YOU Calamity from the Heavens

Shinmei Muso Ryu, a koryu art, emphasized speed. You are meant to interrupt an attack. Sekiguchi did too but to a lesser extent. Almost more about the acceleration and speed of the sword tip (to produce a strong cut) as opposed to drawing quick.

Mostly though battoujutsu is about timing, having your opponent walk into your sword wall before they can attack.

11. SweetDaddySiki

SweetDaddySiki Orange Belt

In battle you dont need to quickdraw. In duels, you already had your sword drawn.

There are techniques for drawing in some of the manuscripts. Fiore shows techniques for using the sword IN the scabbard to protect against surprise attacks, and talhoffer shows certain techniques for covering an attack from the draw. But keep in mind they are both focused on longsword and the longsword is actually difficult to quickdraw from its sheath due to its length and usually wasnt carried on the side like a Katana was.

I think some of the rapier material had quickdraw techniques, but im honestly not familiar with it.

Last edited: May 6, 2018
    TheGZA, I WILL CUT YOU and esotamoc like this.
  12. I WILL CUT YOU

Likewise many kenjutsu styles use the sheath as well. Sheath in hand, out of the obi, ready to draw. Steel saya were quite popular. In a pinch you could parry with it or use it to attack or distract. Draw and attack, throw sheath, follow up thrust.

Nen-ryu had a particular liking for sheath use, reserving the wakizashi for killing disabled opponents or fighting indoors.

I agree on the particular nuances of beginning a fight with the sword sheathed, it's rather impractical. The purpose is more to be always ready than an anime style battoujutsu showdown.

SweetDaddySiki likes this.
  13. Reyesnuthugr

Reyesnuthugr Dominick Reyes Belt

Iajutsu has been practiced since at least the 14th century. It was a prominent school of study and was for everyday combat rather than battlefield

The myth of the quickdraw is the myth of western gunfighters practicing Iajutsu with their handguns for western movies, copied from Japanese sword techniques.

14. Doughbelly

Doughbelly αlpha-nerdette, action scientist

Here's Matt Easton quoting from Swordsmen of the British Empire about the impression of British swordsmen in Asia of Japanese swordsmanship and swordsman. To a note, they seem to emphasize how quick they were on the drawing cut.

Reyesnuthugr and SweetDaddySiki like this.
  15. Seaside

Seaside Secretaría de Relaciones Exteriores

Sure as hell isn ot the Katana a two handed weapon that only has 1 sharp edges and can only slash is useless against armor.

Romania short broad sword double edged strong point designed to also pierce armor and 1 handed to also use a spear or shield is ideal I think.

16. SweetDaddySiki

SweetDaddySiki Orange Belt

Most swords are fairly useless against armour.

Katanas were infantry sabres. They were not armour bashing weapons. They stab just fine. Keep in mind that curved single edged swords were very popular in europe as well.

17. I WILL CUT YOU

How sad is it he has to defend himself because he doesn't believe katana can cut through redwood trees lol

When it comes to swords and combat-- they are a product of immediate need and the spirit of the age. What worked in Japan in 1592 may not work in Verona in 1785, just as what worked in 1250 England may not fare well in Feudal Japan. Likewise, battlefield combat and dueling are very different.

18. Thycidides

Thycidides Banned Banned

Also has anyone seen a HEMA match that was exciting and professional ? Its been a while since I looked at it on youtube.

Last edited: May 8, 2018