Which MMA fighters would do well in gladiator battles?

Most of them tbh.

Modern humans are bigger and on top of that MMA fighters have superior training and nutrition compared to people 2000 years ago.

Since the average Paolo back then was less then 170 cm, any featherweight or higher could probably fuck those gladiators up. Sure you could face the occasional 6ft barbarian, but those were exceptions.

Those ancient Gladiators would fight and win vs any modern mma fighter in their own pit.

Technique & expirience > noob (yes)

Ancient sport of Pankration:
Only rules are no biting or eye gouging (In Sparta these techniques were allowed). Match ends when your opponent is crippled or killed, or submits. Most famous competitor is Dioxippus - a man so feared in the ring he won the 336 B.C. Olympics by default when nobody wanted to face him. Defeated a fully armed and armored Macedonian general with a club while fighting naked.
dioxippus.png

Gladiator battles:
Spectator sport held in Roman territories for hundreds of years. Fighters were slaves taught to fight in specific roles using specific sets of equipment (Pictured below is a Murmillo but wearing a Thraex-style helmet). Famous competitor is Flamma, a Murmillo who fought for 13 years and was offered his freedom with the Rudis, but denied the offer and kept fighting until he died at age 30.
dd757d138e7735cdc8876187f72f4e82.jpg

Which modern MMA fighters do you think would do well at these life-or-death battles and why?
My pick- Aleksander Emelianenko. Why? Because we know he can kill a dude for real xD

Good post, i wonder if Dioxippus abilities are exaggerated or not, sounds like maybe his story was magnified over the years. Either way, someone like Tim Kennedy (maybe he has trained with weapons) or frank mir for gladiator (but no one would survive a gladiator battle in my opinion like someone else mentioned their experience with weapons would trump anything an MMA guy can do... Pancration, Barnette and a Prime Mir would do well. If i can choose non MMA fighters then Krelin for sure lol.

Latifi already getting ready. LHW Gladiator Champion right there...
image.jpg

C2rbB4SW8AA1Rw0.jpg:large

Back