Which martial art makes you physically strongest?

Who gives a fuck. It's a pretty fun concept to think about, even if there's no definitive truth. You guys are obsessed with powerlifting.

Lets stop pretending like powerlifting is synonymous with strength training. I'm so tired of hearing this mixup.

Powerlifting is a sport, while barbell strength training is the most effective method of building power, limit strength, and muscular endurance in athletes. There's a massive difference between the two. Powerlifting involves strength training, but only cares about your total between the three lifts. Barbell strength training has a focus on making a stronger/faster athlete through the most effective means available.

If there was a better way to get stronger than barbell squats, deadlifts, et cetera, then strength training advocates would gladly do the better method while powerlifters would still do squat, bench, deadlift. That's the difference.

That said, the answer to OP's question would probably be wrestling if that can be considered an actual martial art (I would consider it one). BJJ and judo rely on using the opponents strength and mass against them and is highly dependent on using leverage and technique to produce results. Stand up striking sports like muay thai don't have enough resistance to really build limit strength, but are good for power and speed development. Ultimately though, sports aren't where you build your base. You build strength and power in training and apply it in your sport. So choosing a sport because it makes you strong is a silly thing to do.

Going to go with Sambo. Would say wrestling probably otherwise but Sambo seems to incorporate a lot of wrestling but due to the jacket they probably have better grip and pulling strength.

That said, the answer to OP's question would probably be wrestling if that can be considered an actual martial art (I would consider it one). BJJ and judo rely on using the opponents strength and mass against them and is highly dependent on using leverage and technique to produce results.
This is a common misconception, mostly because it's peddled by BJJ guys who like to pretend BJJ is unique and for the small man to use technique over strength. All grappling arts require strength, and increased strength will make all grapplers better at their chosen sport.

You use misdirection, and your opponents mass and force against them in wrestling just as much as you do in judo and BJJ. The only real difference is folk-style wrestling rewards pins much more than Judo, and BJJ doesn't reward pins at all.

^^ I'd have to agree @TheeFaulted. Two BJJ guys of the same technical/mental/ prowess face off against each other, the stronger one will likely win. But I'd much rather not have to wear pants, so Sambo it is!

...Two BJJ guys of the same technical/mental/ prowess face off against each other, the stronger one will likely win...

One of the best points to be made in S&C is that for any sport, for two athletes of the same (other than physical strength) ability and skill, the stronger of the two will most likely win.

Last edited:
This question has been on my mind for couple of days. I wanna hear opinions of you guys, Im not talking about effectiveness of martial arts or this would beat that. Simple physical strength and dominance. Im doing judo atm so my opinion might be biased but judoka are strong as shit, in the end my vote goes to judo. Opinions and explanations, go! :)

Wrestling

First off, let's drop the powerlifting strawman. What we're taking about is compound movements with a barbell, which just happens to be about the most efficient way to build strength ever devised.

When a guy comes in to S&C with a question about which martial art builds the most strength, he might as well be asking which fork is best for shoveling snow. It's just not a very good tool for the job, considering one's options. Hence the ribbing.

Then you have to get all defensive and blame powerlifter bias. No, people just recognize the truth of the matter; compound barbell movements build strength very efficiently. Much more so than martial arts. Martial arts practitioners often have to subsidize their practice with strength training to get stronger.

If TS had stated that he did judo and that his strength seemingly improved dramatically, and asked if that's typical, or if he'd asked which sport has typically the strongest practitioners, maybe the answer would have been different. It's the phrasing.

As it sits, the answers he's gotten have been wholly appropriate. And you have no standing for blaming powerlifting.
A strawman? Please. You know perfectly well that deadlifting, squats and bench or whatever is what you're talking about, which coincidentally are the only things mentioned in this thread. Don't be pedantic.

The fork vs shovel analogy is not appropriate. You can gain a considerably, and useful, amount of strength doing strength building sports. It's about the quality of movement, the repetitions and the resistance.

I don't see how the question is not relevant. This is after all a martial arts forum.

I'm not blaming powerlifting for anything. The simplicity and effectiveness in the progressive overload of barbell training is ingenious. It's an incredible tool, but it's one tool of many. Compound lifts are not the problem, it's the fanatics.

One of the best points to be made in S&C is that for any sport, for two athletes of the same (other than physical strength) ability and skill, the stronger of the two will most likely win.

This is a really poor argument. In a fantasy scenario where two peoples abilities and skills, and everything else, are completely equal (which doesn't happen), then the strongest likely wins. This could be true for any other physical attribute. The one with most muscular endurance? The one with better cardio? The one with greater power? The one with greater mobility? The one with more speed? and so forth. Strength is an important attribute, but how important is dependant on the sport, style and individual. Obviously you should train strength, but that encompasses more than just doing compounds. Training at different ROMs, sport specific strength exercises, unilateral work, bracing, movement, stability, balance, ROM, plyos, bands, dumbbells, bodyweight, barbells, agility, speed work and so on are all parts of the puzzle. All tools for performance. At times one thing is more appropriate for a specific athlete and need, other times it's another. I've said it many times, doing squats/DLs will get you good at squats and DLs, but how well it translates to performance varies a lot.

What I mean about your infatuation is exactly that you fail to see the bigger picture. Movement mechanics can be extremely important for delivering power in any sport. You have the option to build strength in specific motor patterns, and supplement with compounds, or vice versa. Both can be equally important, again it depends.

And yes you totally can build meaningful strength doing heavy grappling focused martial arts.

Lets stop pretending like powerlifting is synonymous with strength training. I'm so tired of hearing this mixup.

Powerlifting is a sport, while barbell strength training is the most effective method of building power, limit strength, and muscular endurance in athletes. There's a massive difference between the two. Powerlifting involves strength training, but only cares about your total between the three lifts. Barbell strength training has a focus on making a stronger/faster athlete through the most effective means available.

If there was a better way to get stronger than barbell squats, deadlifts, et cetera, then strength training advocates would gladly do the better method while powerlifters would still do squat, bench, deadlift. That's the difference.

That said, the answer to OP's question would probably be wrestling if that can be considered an actual martial art (I would consider it one). BJJ and judo rely on using the opponents strength and mass against them and is highly dependent on using leverage and technique to produce results. Stand up striking sports like muay thai don't have enough resistance to really build limit strength, but are good for power and speed development. Ultimately though, sports aren't where you build your base. You build strength and power in training and apply it in your sport. So choosing a sport because it makes you strong is a silly thing to do.
Everything I said above applies to you too. Again you say that powerlifting and strength training is not the same, yet a few lines down you say that if squats, deadlifts and so forth weren't the best then you wouldn't use them. Semantics.

Best way of developing power, muscular endurance and max strength unequivalently? That's a very bold clam. In regards to power production - what about sprinting, hill sprinting, jumping, plyos, chopping wood, throwing, medicin balls, hip turns against resistance, power double, prowler, hip tossing? In muscular endurance - what about biking hills, hill running, stationary bikes with proper resistance, grappling, swimming, climbing, wrestling, rowing? Max strength I'll give you is harder, but the idea remains the same. Progressive overload, against reistance heavy enough to induce > 60-70% of any MVIC. Whether that be carrying or manipulating heavy objects or working against any resistance, like a live opponent or using your bodyweight with challenging leverages in mind, in that previously mentioned range.

Where I think barbell training really shines, besides being so simple to apply and load, is that especially squats and deadlifts are excellent at building a base from where you can improve other attributes AND learning to master basic movements like hip hinging and squatting with good form. It's very advantagous to get good at the biomechanics of those movements overall. Same with some one legged variations.

Last edited:
A strawman? Please. You know perfectly well that deadlifting, squats and bench or whatever is what you're talking about, which coincidentally are the only things mentioned in this thread. Don't be pedantic.

The fork vs shovel analogy is not appropriate. You can gain a considerably, and useful, amount of strength doing strength building sports. It's about the quality of movement, the repetitions and the resistance.

I don't see how the question is not relevant. This is after all a martial arts forum.

I'm not blaming powerlifting for anything. The simplicity and effectiveness in the progressive overload of barbell training is ingenious. It's an incredible tool, but it's one tool of many. Compound lifts are not the problem, it's the fanatics.

As soon as there were a few replies to the thread you came out attacking the powerlifters. You may have a bias, but if we're going to talk strength development, compound barbell movements are going to be mentioned, because they rule the day. Powerlifting just happens to make a competition out of a few of the major compound lifts. Add rows, pullups, core work, and overhead press (which are things powerlifters do in training), and you have strength training so efficient I'd put it up against any other form of training.

Just because you'll see some benefit to strength when you wrestle or do judo, doesn't mean it's an effective form of strength training compared to your other options (like compound barbell movements). You'll see some results painting a house with a toothbrush, but if someone made a thread in the house painting forum about which toothbrush is best for painting a house, you'd get responses that first correct the major problem; the selection of the wrong tool to accomplish the stated task.

Argue otherwise and we can just do a study where you and I find couch potatoes and you have yours wrestle and I'll have mine train compound progressive resistance, and we'll see what strength results are reached in a few months. You are indeed using a fork to shovel snow in this instance, and you should be reminded of it. This is after all a strength subforum.

This is a really poor argument. In a fantasy scenario where two peoples abilities and skills, and everything else, are completely equal (which doesn't happen), then the strongest likely wins. This could be true for any other physical attribute. The one with most muscular endurance? The one with better cardio? The one with greater power? The one with greater mobility? The one with more speed? and so forth. Strength is an important attribute, but how important is dependant on the sport, style and individual. Obviously you should train strength, but that encompasses more than just doing compounds. Training at different ROMs, sport specific strength exercises, unilateral work, bracing, movement, stability, balance, ROM, plyos, bands, dumbbells, bodyweight, barbells, agility, speed work and so on are all parts of the puzzle. All tools for performance. At times one thing is more appropriate for a specific athlete and need, other times it's another. I've said it many times, doing squats/DLs will get you good at squats and DLs, but how well it translates to performance varies a lot.

What I mean about your infatuation is exactly that you fail to see the bigger picture. Movement mechanics can be extremely important for delivering power in any sport. You have the option to build strength in specific motor patterns, and supplement with compounds, or vice versa. Both can be equally important, again it depends.

And yes you totally can build meaningful strength doing heavy grappling focused martial arts.

The original point was the if two BJJ guys of identical characteristics (other than strength) faced off, the stronger would likely win. I said that's true for most sports. It's not a fantasy, it's a hypothetical. Look it up if you can't tell the difference. Strength helps in many sports, it is indeed the deciding factor between two otherwise similarly skilled athletes in many sports. Yes you can substitute other attributes in for X = strength, that doesn't invalidate what I said. I don't get what you have against strength but I'm sure glad when I roll with a guy with the same skill level as me who has underestimated the importance of strength, because I ragdoll him.

Everything I said above applies to you too. Again you say that powerlifting and strength training is not the same, yet a few lines down you say that if squats, deadlifts and so forth weren't the best then you wouldn't use them. Semantics.

Best way of developing power, muscular endurance and max strength unequivalently? That's a very bold clam. In regards to power production - what about sprinting, hill sprinting, jumping, plyos, chopping wood, throwing, medicin balls, hip turns against resistance, power double, prowler, hip tossing? In muscular endurance - what about biking hills, hill running, stationary bikes with proper resistance, grappling, swimming, climbing, wrestling, rowing? Max strength I'll give you is harder, but the idea remains the same. Progressive overload, against reistance heavy enough to induce > 60-70% of any MVIC. Whether that be carrying or manipulating heavy objects or working against any resistance, like a live opponent or using your bodyweight with challenging leverages in mind, in that previously mentioned range.

Where I think barbell training really shines is that especially squats and deadlifts are excellent at building a base from where you can improve other attributes AND learning to master basic movements like hip hinging and squatting with good form. Those are excellent movements for the body overall.

Again, put your hill-sprint-trained or wood-chopping athlete against a compound barbell trained athlete in a test of strength. Strength is what this thread is about, so stay on topic. You want to wander into endurance and mobility and skill but that's not the topic. So your guy gets to swim, stationary bike, any of your proposed alternatives and I'll have my guy squat, bench, deadlift, press, row, pullup, and do weighted core. And then we measure strength at the end. I'd bet my house my guy is stronger. You need to drop your bias, quit trying to shift the argument around, and admit the truth here.

Wrestling. Widely.

My father is an wrestler. Back in the days they had classes of wrestling combined with coaches who trained them to run distances and sprints and olympic lifting coaches. In the sports school they will at least tree times a week visit the classes of other athletes. His coach was 2nd in an Eu Cup in classic wrestling. This is how wrestlers were prepared back in the days in Bulgaria. So despite wrestling does increase strenght and cardio significantly it also needs suplementing.

As soon as there were a few replies to the thread you came out attacking the powerlifters. You may have a bias, but if we're going to talk strength development, compound barbell movements are going to be mentioned, because they rule the day. Powerlifting just happens to make a competition out of a few of the major compound lifts. Add rows, pullups, core work, and overhead press (which are things powerlifters do in training), and you have strength training so efficient I'd put it up against any other form of training.

Just because you'll see some benefit to strength when you wrestle or do judo, doesn't mean it's an effective form of strength training compared to your other options (like compound barbell movements). You'll see some results painting a house with a toothbrush, but if someone made a thread in the house painting forum about which toothbrush is best for painting a house, you'd get responses that first correct the major problem; the selection of the wrong tool to accomplish the stated task.

Argue otherwise and we can just do a study where you and I find couch potatoes and you have yours wrestle and I'll have mine train compound progressive resistance, and we'll see what strength results are reached in a few months. You are indeed using a fork to shovel snow in this instance, and you should be reminded of it. This is after all a strength subforum.

The original point was the if two BJJ guys of identical characteristics (other than strength) faced off, the stronger would likely win. I said that's true for most sports. It's not a fantasy, it's a hypothetical. Look it up if you can't tell the difference. Strength helps in many sports, it is indeed the deciding factor between two otherwise similarly skilled athletes in many sports. Yes you can substitute other attributes in for X = strength, that doesn't invalidate what I said. I don't get what you have against strength but I'm sure glad when I roll with a guy with the same skill level as me who has underestimated the importance of strength, because I ragdoll him.

Again, put your hill-sprint-trained or wood-chopping athlete against a compound barbell trained athlete in a test of strength. Strength is what this thread is about, so stay on topic. You want to wander into endurance and mobility and skill but that's not the topic. So your guy gets to swim, stationary bike, any of your proposed alternatives and I'll have my guy squat, bench, deadlift, press, row, pullup, and do weighted core. And then we measure strength at the end. I'd bet my house my guy is stronger. You need to drop your bias, quit trying to shift the argument around, and admit the truth here.
Again with the terrible analogies. If you had to paint a wall, a big brush would be better, but if you had to paint something in detail on that wall, a small one would be more suited. It depends on the task. See how we can keep going in circles with this analogy bullshit?

Your main problem is your limited understanding of both the concept of strength application in sports and the training modalities. The basics of maximal strength are muscle cross sectional fiber area (hypertrophy), fiber type, neurological efficiency, motor patterns, the distribution between motor neurons and muscle fibers and inner/outer moment arms and your ability to manipulate them. Moment arms are often forgotten but it's basics biomechanics. Let's take a concrete example of a squat.

You have found a squat stance that suits you. Lowbar/higbar, feet pointed out/in, wide or small stance and whatever. You've practiced the same minutiae and pattern over and over again. You've become comfortable and strong in that movement. Now, let's have you change your position and you'll feel uncomfortable and you wont be able to lift nearly as much weight. You'll be struggling real bad and we've only changed something like your feet position. Why is that? That's because we've changed the pattern and levers slightly. Strength is NOT just strength, that's one of the biggest fallacies out there. Strength is very angle and joint specific. With that in mind, you expect to be able to draw all that squat strength in actual compromised positions? I'm not saying it wont help or transfer, I'm saying that how much and at what point depends on the requirements of the task.

If we use your example and take two novices of simular ability. One does wrestling for two months, the other does compounds. Without a doubt the one doing compounds would score higher numbers in a meet, but I can garantee you that the one doing wrestling would feel a lot stronger on the mat. Not just because of his technical prowess and ability to manipulate levers, but he would have practiced his strength application in very specific patterns and angles. So how exactly are we measuring the outcome? It should be the outcome that's most relevant to the sport or task, ie, the one that improves performance the best.

If you want to take the scientific approach and educate yourself on strength gains and specificity: https://www.strengthandconditioningresearch.com/perspectives/just-get-strong-is-wrong

https://www.strengthandconditioningresearch.com/perspectives/partial-squats/

This is another interesting one: https://www.strengthandconditioningresearch.com/promotions/quarter-squats-transfer-sprinting/

I don't have anything against strength training either, or barbell training. It's a staple for me and I even said that barbell training is ingenous. I love doing compounds. What I have a problem with as I said is the fanatics that don't understand the basics behind specificity and transferability. All training modalities have their limitations in regards to different tasks.

It's like someone coming on here saying "rings are the ultimate upper body strength builder", which wouldn't be an entirely unreasonable statement, although a highly debatable one. Then, whenever a thread would pop up, that dude would go in and say "just do rings". No matter the subject, no matter the discussion, no matter the task.

Further, the reason why I mentioned hill sprints and biking etc. was because jgarner said that barbell training was not only the #1 in any strength related matter, but also in regards to power production and muscular endurance, which is not true. I thought that was pretty clear from the quotation.

Last edited:
...stronger on the mat...

I get the point of much of what you're saying, but here's where it breaks down. An athlete isn't weaker everywhere than another athlete and then suddenly, magically stronger on his chosen surface. That's skill you're talking about. Performing a movement like the squat in competition is specific, but powerlifters don't just do that movement to strengthen their legs. And again, we're not even talking about powerlifters, just strength training with compound barbell movements and progressive resistance.

The question to ask TS is, are you looking for an effective and efficient way to improve your strength, or are you asking a rather simplistic hypothetical (which combat sport makes people strongest?) knowing that if one wants to get strong, martial arts training isn't the best training methodology. If it's just a fun what-if question, yeah answer wrestling or whatever, there's a reasonable chance that it's correct. But this is a strength and conditioning subforum. People are typically here looking for answers on how to get (wait for it) stronger or in better condition. The answers are often similar, because it's been demonstrated time and again that compound barbell movements done progressively are the way.

Your strongest point is that just because this is true, it doesn't mean that the discussion is over in regards to strength. It's great that we can still talk about which methods of training are more appropriate and efficient for various endeavors.

The weaker point is to say that anything is a better substitute for compound barbell movements for effectively and quickly building strength. It's just demonstrably not true in most cases.

Anyone who says strength doesn't matter isn't really ready to participate in discussions here.

Anyone who says "punching strength" or "mat strength" or "gym strength" misunderstands strength. Strength is just a measure of the amount of force one can exert. Practicing the application of strength leads to skill. Skill often makes a bigger difference in sport than strength, to be sure, but the two terms are not to be conflated. That's the problem with saying someone is "stronger on the mat." No, they are more skilled in wrestling and that is the difference you are mistakenly seeing as strength. Or, they're stronger (or weaker) in general, which will also make a big difference on the mat but also in every other competitive endeavor.

I'm not much of an ice skater. I'd have trouble fighting a hockey player on skates, in an ice rink. It's not because he's "stronger on the ice" than me. It's because he's trained and is skilled at moving on ice. Put us both to actual tests of strength and we'd compare differently.

Anyway, I can agree to disagree, you're half right. You might want to watch who you tell to educate themselves, especially when you're so sorely mistaken in your assessment of this discussion. But thanks for the cut-and-paste stuff, it's easily the high point of your last post.

You know, when I read things about getting stronger, period is not the answer or that you should be tailoring your strength training for the sport you play, etc... I feel like this is not relevant to like 99% of people who play sports. And probably 100% of posters in the f13. There is an unbelievably small number of athletes who make it past the ranks of house leagues and finals in the state championships. (Yes even if you made it to the final at the High School state championships in the 100m dash, you're still likely closer to the bottom half than the top half of sprinters in this world). Pretty much any athlete would benefit from just getting stronger in the gym, and working the fuck out of the skills on the mat. Sciencing around with training the basic level athlete to me seems like way more work than required.

Not sure I'm explaining myself clearly, but I get what Sano's saying and I understand Cmart's side as well.

I had often referred to a young hockey player who squats 315 for 12+ reps at 16 years old. He's not even giving a shit about PLing or whatnot. He's just banging it out in the gym with basic compound movements, getting huge and strong and fucking shit up on the ice.

I had often referred to a young hockey player who squats 315 for 12+ reps at 16 years old. He's not even giving a shit about PLing or whatnot. He's just banging it out in the gym with basic compound movements, getting huge and strong and fucking shit up on the ice.

Yes! Not everyone who does a back squat morphs into a powerlifter. Yet there are those who would lead you to believe that if this young hockey player took that gym time and spent it on the ice instead, he could get more "ice strong."

He probably has critics who ask him if he's trying to be a powerlifter, etc. as well, and they change their tune once he lays a hit on them.

I get the point of much of what you're saying, but here's where it breaks down. An athlete isn't weaker everywhere than another athlete and then suddenly, magically stronger on his chosen surface. That's skill you're talking about. Performing a movement like the squat in competition is specific, but powerlifters don't just do that movement to strengthen their legs. And again, we're not even talking about powerlifters, just strength training with compound barbell movements and progressive resistance.

The question to ask TS is, are you looking for an effective and efficient way to improve your strength, or are you asking a rather simplistic hypothetical (which combat sport makes people strongest?) knowing that if one wants to get strong, martial arts training isn't the best training methodology. If it's just a fun what-if question, yeah answer wrestling or whatever, there's a reasonable chance that it's correct. But this is a strength and conditioning subforum. People are typically here looking for answers on how to get (wait for it) stronger or in better condition. The answers are often similar, because it's been demonstrated time and again that compound barbell movements done progressively are the way.

Your strongest point is that just because this is true, it doesn't mean that the discussion is over in regards to strength. It's great that we can still talk about which methods of training are more appropriate and efficient for various endeavors.

The weaker point is to say that anything is a better substitute for compound barbell movements for effectively and quickly building strength. It's just demonstrably not true in most cases.

Anyone who says strength doesn't matter isn't really ready to participate in discussions here.

Anyone who says "punching strength" or "mat strength" or "gym strength" misunderstands strength. Strength is just a measure of the amount of force one can exert. Practicing the application of strength leads to skill. Skill often makes a bigger difference in sport than strength, to be sure, but the two terms are not to be conflated. That's the problem with saying someone is "stronger on the mat." No, they are more skilled in wrestling and that is the difference you are mistakenly seeing as strength. Or, they're stronger (or weaker) in general, which will also make a big difference on the mat but also in every other competitive endeavor.

I'm not much of an ice skater. I'd have trouble fighting a hockey player on skates, in an ice rink. It's not because he's "stronger on the ice" than me. It's because he's trained and is skilled at moving on ice. Put us both to actual tests of strength and we'd compare differently.

Anyway, I can agree to disagree, you're half right. You might want to watch who you tell to educate themselves, especially when you're so sorely mistaken in your assessment of this discussion. But thanks for the cut-and-paste stuff, it's easily the high point of your last post.
That's the thing. I know there's a very fine line between skill and strength, and I purposely used the wrestling example with that in mind. I'm not talking about the ability to manipulate leverages, anticipate moves and co-ordinate movements, which we could call skill. I specificly ment strength at variable joint angles.

When you say that strength is the production of force, what exactly do you mean? Do you mean the maximum voluntary isometric contraction (MVIC) at a given joint angle, or do you mean the amount of weight you are able to move in say a squat? Because if it's the latter then skill plays a role as well, as it does in wrestling.

Lets go back to using rings as I mentioned earlier. Say one person is able to hold an iron cross on rings and do a planche pushup and the other can bench 400lbs. They both weigh 180lbs. Who is stronger and why? Are they both the strongest, but at different things? Which would transfer better to what sport?

Some muscles would have greater MVIC during the iron cross and some, even some of the same ones, would have greater MVIC during the bench, but at different angles. It's two very distinct feets of strength.

You could benchpress from now untill eternity and you would never be strong enough to hold an iron cross. Same is probably true the other way around in regards to high bench numbers. If strength is strength and strength is force production (which is not very clear), why is that the case? That's because strength adaptions are somewhat specific. Joint angle specific, neuromuscular specific, fiber type specific and so forth. Even the same muscle can adapt with regional hypertrophy, meaning you get stronger at the ROM you are training and your angle of peak torque changes.

The ice skating thing is not really a fair comparison. You've introduced a completely different variable which is an "unstable" surface. Sure you would outlift him in the gym, and sure with his superior proprioceptive balance and ability to co-ordinate synergists, antagonists and agonists as stabilisers he would manhandle you on the ice. Maybe he could even outlift you on the ice too. It's hard to say how much he would improve by doing compounds in shoes, but probably some, depending on his physical abilties and playstyle.

I honestly think you should read the articles I posted. That's not me trying to sound like a smartass, I genuinely think you would find them interesting.

You know, when I read things about getting stronger, period is not the answer or that you should be tailoring your strength training for the sport you play, etc... I feel like this is not relevant to like 99% of people who play sports. And probably 100% of posters in the f13. There is an unbelievably small number of athletes who make it past the ranks of house leagues and finals in the state championships. (Yes even if you made it to the final at the High School state championships in the 100m dash, you're still likely closer to the bottom half than the top half of sprinters in this world). Pretty much any athlete would benefit from just getting stronger in the gym, and working the fuck out of the skills on the mat. Sciencing around with training the basic level athlete to me seems like way more work than required.

Not sure I'm explaining myself clearly, but I get what Sano's saying and I understand Cmart's side as well.
I understand your point of view, but I don't think it has to be something that's complicated to implement. I know it's sounds crazy complicated with all the "sport specific, angle torque blabla" stuff I'm spewing.

What it is, is being a little thoughtful about exercise selection, using pro and regressions and your clinical reasoning. That's the same for any patient or client, athlete or not. You've worked with geriatric cliental right? You do strength training, you do balance training and you do some mobility work. You balance it out depending on their needs. My personal opinion is that the better the the therapist/coach/trainer the more relevant the exercise choices. In regards individual weaknesses but also individual goals. We're not the same.

Going back to barbell training, small things like being deliberate with the eccentric vs concentric, depth, velocity, foot positions and so forth. It doesn't have to be some huge thing. Beyond that, why limit yourself? Bands, dumbbells, bodyweight, barbells, whatever fits the bill and addresses the weakness or dysfunction you want to work with. Want to isolate the glut medius to this unilateral bodyweight exercise, or this one on the floor. Want to work on scapulohymeral rhythm to improve pressing overhead, uses this exercises for serratus with dumbbells or another open chained exercise or this one with bands for the supraspinatus, infraspinatus and teres minor. Want to work on alignment and valgus of the knee during a squat or jump, that isn't caused by glut med weakness or pelvis instability, but rather the ankle and pronation, do this unilateral exercise for balance and foot strength and this band one for tib. post, and so forth. You're improving qualities that will transfer to both sport and barbell training.

I don't know about this one. That kid sound like a genetic freak. That can be hard to attribute to squatting, especially at that age.

To both you and @Cmart I think I need to summarize and reiterate some of my points:

I love barbell exercises.
I think all people could benefit from doing compounds to a greater or lesser extent.
I think compounds are excellent for "general preparednes", both hypertrophy, neural drive, strenght of the prime movers in healthy movement patterns and strenghtening tissue/tendons/ligaments, preventing injuries and especially being able to absorb eccentric forces.
I don't think they are perfect.
I think their transfer to some movements and sports are limited.
I definitely don't think that they are the only meaningful way of increasing strength (whichever definition we end up choosing).
I don't like the barbell/powerlifting dogma.
I believe strength is specific in nature and strength training for tasks and performance should take that into consideration.

What really started this whole debate is the fact that we can't have a fun thread like this without it getting ruined by the dogmatic followers of the good old iron.

/rant.

Last edited:
The kid is insanely strong. But he's a work horse. He's always in the gym and trains hard when he's there. He is wired to be a professional. He's probably about 170-180 lbs too. With the growth in popularity of Competing in powerlifting, we're going to see a lot more insane feats of strength. I'm sure there are many athletes out there who are potentially stronger than the people at the top of PL world, they just haven't hit the platform yet.

The kid is insanely strong. But he's a work horse. He's always in the gym and trains hard when he's there. He is wired to be a professional. He's probably about 170-180 lbs too. With the growth in popularity of Competing in powerlifting, we're going to see a lot more insane feats of strength. I'm sure there are many athletes out there who are potentially stronger than the people at the top of PL world, they just haven't hit the platform yet.
Sounds awesome! It must be exciting being around people like that with so much physical potential. As the talent pool grows I'm sure we'll see records getting beat. Good luck to the kid, whatever he chooses.

Sano, it just seems like you're constantly arguing against a philosophy that no one here ascribes to.

Back