Which is the greatest FINAL FANTASY?

Status
Not open for further replies.
FF7 was my first experience with the series, so that had the most shock and awe, but I think Tactics is the best of the series.

They sell it on steam and you can play it on a toaster.

That's actually not a bad idea. I used to play FF VII once every year until about 2007 when I retired my PS. I'd like to play it again on HD screen.

While I think I've pretty much grown out of turn-based rpgs that game will always be my pinnacle of this hobby.

ffT was the best followed closely by ff5. FFVII is a troll pick, VIII was better then VII. FFT hands down had the best story and combat, the graphics were not that great but who cares.

FF V is a troll pick if ever there was one. Aside from the job system that game was a turd. FFT was a great game, no one can deny that. I enjoyed FFVIII more than most, but it can't touch VII.

Haven't played too many FF games, I always felt like XII was the best one I played along with maybe Tactics. I really felt like those games nailed the tone, some of the others can feel a little too much like a Shonen anime.

Monica.jpeg

FFXII is one of the most underrated games of the series. I'd put it in my Top 5. Everything about that game felt epic to me. It was one of the most challenging games too. I could breeze through all FF games (save for some optional bosses) but FFXII killed me a few times. You have to grind and prepare in that game a lot more, then typical.

Monica.jpeg

FFXII is one of the most underrated games of the series. I'd put it in my Top 5. Everything about that game felt epic to me. It was one of the most challenging games too. I could breeze through all FF games (save for some optional bosses) but FFXII killed me a few times. You have to grind and prepare in that game a lot more, then typical.

XII was tough. I remember I got to a fight with a bunch of little...somethings. I got raped repeatedly and didn't care enough for the game to grind up to win.

XII was tough. I remember I got to a fight with a bunch of little...somethings. I got raped repeatedly and didn't care enough for the game to grind up to win.

It's an extremely rewarding and fun game once you figure out gambits and what not. It's probably the deepest FF only behind FFT.

This motherfucker is a bitch in any FF game. He was in FFT and was in FFXII too..

For me, it's 4, 6, 8 with 6 as my GOAT.

FF6 is one of the greatest games ever made. They really nailed that one. It's something special.

FFX's story was kind of meh, but Auron is my favorite FF character of all time and FFX had the best combat system, IMO.

Last edited:
Chrono Trigger
Earthbound
Final Fantasy 6
Final Fantasy 7
Lunar SSSC
Persona 4
Skies of Arcadia
Suikoden 2
Xenogears
other

Pick one. :eek:

No Breath of Fire or Dragon Warrior? I thought people liked those. Another old game that I enjoyed was Seventh Saga, although it has aged EXTREMELY poorly mechanics wise.

I also enjoyed the Mana games, if they count. I'll also go way old school and give shout outs to Crystallis and Willow.

I liked 7, 8, Tactics the most, I think.

Is there a Dragon Quest thread like this?

Final Fantasy VI (1994)

LITERALLY GOD

FF7 is firmly in second place.

Monica.jpeg

I think everything about FFXII gameplay wise, was the best the series has ever seen. It's the closest the game ever came to successfully doing away with turn based combat, for something fresh. The combat in XII is so good, and makes grinding fun. It's only fault, was that you could break the game with it's "auto command"(Gambit?) feature. Certain combinations you could put together, could make you virtually indestructible. Regardless, the combat was still amazing, and I'll never understand why they did away with it for whatever the fuck that garbage was in FFXIII.

That said, I think where XII fails a bit and what holds it back, is it's story and characters. Not the most memorable cast of characters, and the story, while decent, was kind of bland. The gameplay also gets in the way a bit, since you spend so much time just battling, and doing optional stuff, that it becomes easy to lose your place in the story.

Overall though, the game is great, and easily the most underappreciated in the series' history.

I think everything about FFXII gameplay wise, was the best the series has ever seen. It's the closest the game ever came to successfully doing away with turn based combat, for something fresh. The combat in XII is so good, and makes grinding fun. It's only fault, was that you could break the game with it's "auto command"(Gambit?) feature. Certain combinations you could put together, could make you virtually indestructible. Regardless, the combat was still amazing, and I'll never understand why they did away with it for whatever the fuck that garbage was in FFXIII.

That said, I think where XII fails a bit and what holds it back, is it's story and characters. Not the most memorable cast of characters, and the story, while decent, was kind of bland. The gameplay also gets in the way a bit, since you spend so much time just battling, and doing optional stuff, that it becomes easy to lose your place in the story.

Overall though, the game is great, and easily the most underappreciated in the series' history.

FF XII came out after I bought my house and didn't have access to high speed internet for years. I was a huge Everquest junkie and I was starving for an MMO, but didn't really have an option. FF XII was like a single player MMO and I fucking loved it when it came out.

I'm so pumped for the remaster to come out next week. I never got around to beating some of the uber enemies, so looking forward to knocking those out. But like you said, the story and characters are pretty weak and I have no memory of what the plot was 10 years later. Where as FF 6 and 7 are my favorite in the series and I remember just about every line of dialog from numerous play throughs.

I hate MMO's I laughed at FFX when it came out.

VII is easily the most overrated. The story's actually pretty cool, but mangled by the translation, and the graphics probably hold up worse than any game in the series. The SNES sprites may be more primitive, but are more aesthetically pleasing than the blocky, huge forearm having, no face messes in VII. It's still a very good game, but I think the fact that it was so many people's first Final Fantasy or RPG period causes a lot of people to look at it through rose colored glasses.

Usually when you go back and do something as a kid that makes you feel nostalgic you see how terrible or shit it actually was. When I go back and play FF7 I still enjoy every bit of it as much as I did years back when I first played the game. It's a classic and it really does hold up even despite the graphics.

In fact, I think it adds more character to the game. Too many games nowadays try to get by on hyper realistic graphics but don't have the substance to back it up.

Last edited:
8, because I fell in love with Rinoa, fapped on Quistis, was legit scared of the witch, and hated Seifer.

It's either 6 or 9. Most of them are very good games tho. A few suck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back