Which is the best judo throw to use on a much bigger and heavier opponent?

jcgonzmo

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I trained judo for a couple of months, an I am trying to throw a guy that is a powerlifter, taller and weights more than 70 pounds. On top of that he only uses the bjj standup to take down. The one that you have your entire body bend forward. I cant reach his leg with my leg for an osotogari. What can I do?

Kouchi gari. Snap down and forward and then sweep the leg.

Against that BJJ posture you gotta snap them down and pull them forward so they have to brace backwards and put their leg forward.... then kouchi.

double leg off of a snapdown. throw him over your shoulders hard enough he has to check the mat with his hands, and cut the angle.

when you get better at it, seoi nage or koshi guruma.

double leg off of a snapdown. throw him over your shoulders hard enough he has to check the mat with his hands, and cut the angle.

when you get better at it, seoi nage or koshi guruma.

Not sure about koshi guruma. If it goes wrong you collapse with a huge fucker on your back, and since you are not really straight the potential for catastrophy is there IMO.

Judo rules?

My fave Tai Otoshi or for those really dug in guys Seoi Otoshi. Push him back till he's over compensating and reverse it.

Uki Waza for the fun of it. Throw him forward till he stops bricking on you and starts to center balances more.

Trip him up with Kosoto Gari pushing him back.

If you've only been at it a few months focus on fucking with his balance, work your grips and feel where he's weak so when you're able to throw you'll know the openings.

Also think of it this way, if you learn to hold your own against much bigger guys you'll be able to manhandle guys in your division.

Last edited:
I trained judo for a couple of months, an I am trying to throw a guy that is a powerlifter, taller and weights more than 70 pounds. On top of that he only uses the bjj standup to take down. The one that you have your entire body bend forward. I cant reach his leg with my leg for an osotogari. What can I do?

We've identified the problem, come back in 5 years.

Get better at Judo, get your black belt and spend the next 5 years lifting.

yeah its really hard to throw someone like that even if you have been doing judo for a couple years like I have.

I'd try to get a different training partner.

We've identified the problem, come back in 5 years.

Get better at Judo, get your black belt and spend the next 5 years lifting.

Cruelty is the kindness of the wise.

"Have you tried becoming a badass?"

Harai goshi is pretty good against bigger people, or an o goshi. But you must be quick with both.

what kind of powerlifter weighs 71 pounds?

Although he doesn't throw him, I really like the way this Gokor guy grips up and attacks against the BJJ black belt. This is I think the best postural approach against a guy playing the BJJ defensive crab --- I call it 'dog on a leash,' taking that high grip and then just constantly snapping him down and pulling him forward, punishing the defensive posture as you look for deep grips or an overextended leg. Even if you don't get the TD, this postural approach is absolutely exhausting for your opponent who is tooling around in a hyper-defensive stance... and it works particularly well against guys who are bigger, because it's even more exhausting for them to maintain their position against the snap downs and pulls.

You're not going to throw a bigger AND stronger opponent with any Judo technique, unless you're significantly more skilled at it than your opponent.

Double/single legs etc... can work because you're relying on their lack of balance/athleticism to fill in the gaps for your lack of technique with a double/ single. Assuming you're not a high level wrestler, because if you were you wouldn't be asking the question, as you'd already know you were technically good enough to pull off the technique on someone bigger and stronger.

In reality, there's no silver bullet.

If you want to consistently throw people bigger and stronger than you, get better technically, any other answers are sticking plasters or rely on a lack of skill of the bigger/ stronger person.

Think about it this way, there's no one technique you can learn that will allow you to throw Brock Lesnar, it just isn't going to happen, unless you get to a level where you're comparably strong/big or so technically superior that it doesn't matter what the technique is, you can throw him with whatever.

Tl;dr, work on getting better at kuzushi.

TTl;dr, train more.

My .02

Foot sweeps, forget throws. Find a combination of two and work only those two forever. By forever I mean....forever. I don't care if the opponent knows what you are going to do, I want the techniques to be so good, No Can Defend.

Just to add to the dogpile, it's true that there are some throws that will be easier to execute on a taller opponent, the best thing to do is get better at the throws you already like. When you've practiced Osoto Gari (or any throw) 10,000 times, you'll find a bunch of ways to set it up against any body type.

What I see work best smaller guys vs. bigger is drop seio nage. As a tall guy, a smaller dude with a slick drop seio who could get all the way under me was hard to deal with. The trick is just to get super deep so you're pulling him over you, not totally on top of you. And it's a pretty simple throw mechanically that any smaller dude should have in his Judo repertoire anyway.

What I see work best smaller guys vs. bigger is drop seio nage. As a tall guy, a smaller dude with a slick drop seio who could get all the way under me was hard to deal with. The trick is just to get super deep so you're pulling him over you, not totally on top of you. And it's a pretty simple throw mechanically that any smaller dude should have in his Judo repertoire anyway.
That's why I was thinking Seio Otoshi spin and drop right in front of him and REALLY launch him over you if he's p!aging defensive crab bricking headache.

I prefer this from the lapel side for bjj. It keeps the choking hand blocked if you screw up the throw attempt.

This is true, as is tai otoshi ... a class of throws that is like tripping over a small child.

The problem is that unless you are incredibly good at them and commit 1000% they are also prime candidates for getting wrecked, not unlike the small child getting tripped over. If this guy was good enough use forward throws to reliably hurl opponents who outweigh him by 70 pounds, he'd be teaching class.

Ko uchi is almost zero risk and super easy to learn and execute.

Back