Which is the best 2 day strength training program to gain muscle and complement bjj?

jcgonzmo

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I have been doing Stronglifts 5x5 for 8 weeks, 3 days per week. BJJ for 3 days a week and 30 minutes of cardio afterward. My goal is to lose fat. I am planning to keep this program for 5 more weeks until I reach my target weight. Afterwards, I just want to focus on building muscle and strength. So I plan to cut cardio and train bjj 3 days a week and strength 2 days.

try this

day 1
max effort squat
volume deadlift(could be rdls or sldls)

day2
max effort press
volume bench
assistance chest, delts, triceps
week 2
max effort deadlift
volume squats

day 2
max effort bench
volume press
back, delts, triceps
optional day 3 both days
bodybuilding fashion biceps and upper back

In my Opinion Tactical barbell fighter template would be ideal for you. Its similar style to strong lifts but it is a lot smarter in recovery and it uses waved periodization. Its also idiot proof and easy to follow. I used it got way stronger and worked way less hard then when i did SL 5x5. It is designed for people like you who do BJJ or another tough activity three days a week. Check it out good luck

In my Opinion Tactical barbell fighter template would be ideal for you. Its similar style to strong lifts but it is a lot smarter in recovery and it uses waved periodization. Its also idiot proof and easy to follow. I used it got way stronger and worked way less hard then when i did SL 5x5. It is designed for people like you who do BJJ or another tough activity three days a week. Check it out good luck
What's the program like?

I've been using Tactical Barbell's 2 day template alongside Muay Thai training 3-4x week. Love it. You can also do 531 over two days if you keep it minimal.

I have been doing Stronglifts 5x5 for 8 weeks, 3 days per week. BJJ for 3 days a week and 30 minutes of cardio afterward. My goal is to lose fat. I am planning to keep this program for 5 more weeks until I reach my target weight. Afterwards, I just want to focus on building muscle and strength. So I plan to cut cardio and train bjj 3 days a week and strength 2 days.

I would just keep doing Stronglifts 5x5 at twice a week. Why would you mess with something if you are still getting gains from it? You may even see better (but slower) gains by dropping back to twice a week.

TB

5/3/1 if you want lower volume as you can do the jack shit version.

10sx3r with minimal rest. Accessory work as needed.

I would just keep doing Stronglifts 5x5 at twice a week. Why would you mess with something if you are still getting gains from it? You may even see better (but slower) gains by dropping back to twice a week.

Because of 2 reasons:
1) The author of Stronglifts 5 x 5 says that I should change once I reach 1RM of Intermediate 1. He suggest I should change to Madcow
2) I could cut to 2 days a week, However the program itself is designed for 3 days. I think it would be better to use a program for 2 days instead of modiofying one for 3.

By the way, about 531
1) Which book should I get?
2) What combination of 531 should I do for 2 days?

What's the program like?
Hey sorry for the delay don't go on this much. Basically you choose between 2-3 compound lifts I usually did bench squat weighted pull up or bench deadlift something like that one lower body one upper body only compound lifts. its a 6 week cycle you test your one rep max for your chosen exercise then calculate 70%, 80% then 90% after the third week you restart and then retest after 6 weeks. I would also recommend doing a row type exercise just to keep your rotator cuffs and stabilizer muscles in your back from getting weak and to prevent injury. But you get way stronger and your not grinding your joints down to dust and have plenty of time to do other things.

Simple Strength by Tsatsouline and John

a Stuart McRoberts/John Christy cycle

EDT by Charles Staley

I circut train twice a week after muay thai

kettlebell swings, light deadlifts, box jumps, stationary bike

the other day

T bar press ( 10 x side ), V situp hold while pressing 45 lb plate 20x, rope work, medicine ball throws

None of that is in order btw, and have a few days spaced apart

Basic Starting Strength routine is perfect.

By the way, about 531

Whatever you feel you will have most time for. Some will do "I aint doing jack shit" , others will throw in Boring But Big, and others change up the accessory work to address weak spots in their main lifts or to round out their physique/weaknesses etc.

Find out what the top BJJ guys do in terms of strength/conditioning/mobility/flexibility outside of the dojo. Why ask anyone who doesn't do BJJ?

While feedback is always useful, modeling your S&C after the top BJJ players when you don't possess their training history or athletic qualification is a mistake, especially if you're just training casually. What Andre Galvao needs to sustain full-time training and eeking out just a little bit more muscular endurance, addressing some specific weakness, or gaining more injury resistance after decades of hard training and daily sparring with some of the best grapplers in the world has very little to do with the physical demands of a novice strength trainee that is a hobbyist in BJJ.

By the way, about 531
Just training for GPP to serve your other training goals (i.e. BJJ) i have had success in the past doing 531 2 day/week with squat and bench on monday, deadlift and press on Friday, with minimal assistance maybe some bodyweight work if anything.

Thanks for the reminder that I bought TB, haha. The fighter template is what I have used before, gonna give it a go again.

Back