Which is better the summo squat or the sumo deadlift for power?

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by BringBackTRTforFairness, May 1, 2017.

1. BringBackTRTforFairness White Belt

BringBackTRTforFairness
    To increase punching power?

Which targets the right parts of the hips and legs best? (specific to muay thai)

2. BJ@LW&WW Gold Belt

BJ@LW&WW
    im curious for the same question, but mine pertains to the left parts, specifically for mt

3. belph Pissing into the wind.

belph
    Personally, I don't think lifting will benefit a striking sport like that. That stuff is going to come from practicing your sport, patience and dedication yo. That being said, there is value in continuing to lift.

Also the fuck is a sumosquat?

4. pokerandbeer Yellow Card

pokerandbeer
    he just means a very wide stance squat

the answer is no i would not do sumo squats or deadlifts for general strength. You want to target the lower back in deadlifts as this will have the most carryover to power(power is dependent on strength)using the sumo would allow to lift more weight most likely due to leverages

you want to build your general strength with the basic exercises(regular stance squats and conventional deadlifts)

after a good general strength base is built you can fuck around with them because you will have already attained your general strength in its most optimal manner

belph is correct though to build power you need a lot of specific drills for punching but if you are not strong already than that is what you should focus on

once a general strength base is established you are pretty much as strong as you need to be for mma(and other sports that are not strength sports)

5. spdrew2143 Orange Belt

spdrew2143
    Not true. All athletes should continue to build strength after they've developed a "General strength base." Continuing to get stronger is really beneficial in sports like mma or grappling.

6. pokerandbeer Yellow Card

pokerandbeer
    i dont think you really understand seleys theory of adaptation^

once you are passed a certain stage the ridiculous amounts of volume required to gain strength are not conducive to athletes......this is why powerlifters are not NBA players..

the reality is that once reach reach a certain point the advancement of your strength becomes a low very low priority

the hierarchy for a martial artist is simple
    1.skill/techinque
    2.conditioning
    3.strength

ItsTimeToShrekYouUp likes this.
  7. JimRussel Purple Belt

JimRussel
    Wow TIL, your lower back is the most important thing for power.

8. JimRussel Purple Belt

JimRussel

I'm not sure how you feel like you can make such black and white statements like this.

I've heard pro MMA fighters and professional MMA S&C coaches argue the exact opposite.

9. pokerandbeer Yellow Card

pokerandbeer
    thats funny since a good buddy is a pro mma fighter and does not even lift weights.....a champion at that

10. pokerandbeer Yellow Card

pokerandbeer
    and yes the low back will not be worked generally in a sumo deadlift as well as the conventional deadlift....this is basic physics.......it isnt as important to have a big sumo deadlift in mma it is more optimal to get stronger in the basic conventional deadlift...the basic movement pattern that work the most muscle mass to get generally stronger for their sport

11. JimRussel Purple Belt

JimRussel
    Wow, man. n=1. Amazing.

You're missing the entire fucking point, which is that every single athlete will have different needs when it comes to creating the best, most well rounded version of themselves, based on their own strength and deficiencies.

12. pokerandbeer Yellow Card

pokerandbeer
    go back to powerlifting Jim...sports arent your strong suite....i am pretty sure you know good and well that once weekly or maybe biweekly progress is over that you are basically in a weight lifting dungeon to get stronger a 1-2% increase in strength at that point is mind numbing amounts of volume and has no place for an athlete practicing and participating in another sport at a high level

13. MatterOverMind Pulling for you

MatterOverMind
    So, Jim says that there are opinions that differ and your response is that you know one guy that supports your original statement, implying that Jim is wrong.

mike sherry likes this.
  14. MatterOverMind Pulling for you

MatterOverMind
    You can't even form reasonable sentences. Your argument is invalid.

15. spdrew2143 Orange Belt

spdrew2143
    Powerlifters aren't NBA players because they're too strong? One of the most profound statements I've ever heard. I'm not really how you've decided strength is of low importance to a mma athlete. I also don't understand what you think dictates a General strength base for these individuals. While skills and technique are always a focal point for any athlete, to say strength is of low importance is incorrect.

16. JimRussel Purple Belt

JimRussel
    If that's the case, it seems like we have at least one thing in common.

17. pokerandbeer Yellow Card

pokerandbeer
    go ahead then OP...do what these ignorant people say and go full bore strength because when you can deadlift 800 pounds sumo you will with no doubt be more suited for the sport of mma

18. pokerandbeer Yellow Card

pokerandbeer
    matterover mind if you want to have a conversation with me im all ears....if you wish to point out the way i write isnt to your liking well then i have a feeling that isnt going to go so well....until then can you at least please stop sucking your buddies wank

19. pokerandbeer Yellow Card

pokerandbeer

the point is simple...when training for strength interferes with your performance of that sport...past a fairly low level of general strength training it is simply suboptimal for an athlete to be in strength training hell and brushing with overtraining and/or injury from lifting the heavy loads required(and volume)to be able to increase their strength by even a small margin over a very long time

you can believe what you wish...i dont really need to convince you

20. spdrew2143 Orange Belt

spdrew2143
    Well come on, quit posting shit that doesn't make sense. I'm pretty damn ignorant when it comes to strength training outside of powerlifting, but I can easily tell a lot of the stuff you try to tell people is incorrect.