Which is a representation of more"effective punching" when hitting a heavy bag?

DontPunchMyChin

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I noticed when hitting the bag there's often 2 types of punches that will land.

"Heavy" ones that will often "push" or jolt the bag

And "snappy" or "crack" punches that necessarily don't move the bag far but it sounds like a gunshot.

Which of these 2 types of punches is more effective in an actual fight and better for the KO?

Pushing the bag around doesn't necessarily mean you are landing with more force at the point of impact.

My coach used to say to aim for the back of the head and snap the punch back quickly.

He said it should be more a pop than a push.

You don't want the bag to swing, that means you're pushing it. Pushing might look impressive to the absolute beginner, but does not cause damage. You don't want to be someone who "pushes" their punches.

You want the bag to bounce around and convulse on the chain, like it's having a seizure. That's the kind of damage that can translate to a concussion (for the other guy) in real life

You do want to push body shots though.

You want to snap the body shots using correct form and THEN optionally you can push through (continue the motion through them after the impact). If one simply pushes the punch at the body, the shot won't have the initial impact it needs to penetrate. All good pros that go to the body do this, it's especially noticeable in slow mo.

types of snap i use
deep or rip to the body

Could somebody with striking experience comment on this video? I'm a beginner mostly, but I have spent some time working with coaches on correct form and do rag's form doesn't look right to me (no offense sir). I might be wrong, but it mostly looks like he's just using arm when he punches. Plus, he keeps his hands too low and something about his strikes and the angles he throws them at just looks... off. It looks goofy to me, but again, I don't have tons of experience. Do you experienced guys think his punches look good?

Could somebody with striking experience comment on this video? I'm a beginner mostly, but I have spent some time working with coaches on correct form and do rag's form doesn't look right to me (no offense sir). I might be wrong, but it mostly looks like he's just using arm when he punches. Plus, he keeps his hands too low and something about his strikes and the angles he throws them at just looks... off. It looks goofy to me, but again, I don't have tons of experience. Do you experienced guys think his punches look good?
Dude who posted is trolling for sure. That is absolutely terrible. Hilarious actually.

I have noticed, when I purposely hit punching bag, the movement is different than when I hit air as in shadow boxing.

Now in real fight, you may or may not make contact. So which movement do I use?

I subconsciously throw punches differently when hit surface or hitting air (shadowboxing). Is there a way to correctly hit both? I have never tried to hit punching bag and miss.

You need to maximize power while minimizing the traveling distance. This is not the same (but related, of course) as maximizing the speed of the first alone because it caps at around 10 m/s.

Back