Which "great" has the worst loss?

anderson was a darling when he lost to chonan. he was considered the best in his weight division after beating sakurai. WTF are you talking about. That's why pride brought him in.

Lol, the fight against Sakurai was Anderson's 8th fight. He was very green (not his striking) despite being considered the "best" in his division.

GSP evolved much faster from the start of his career, so when he fought and lost to Serra he was already world class. That makes his loss "worse" than Anderson's losses to Takase and Chonan.

Last edited:
Gsp vs Serra. Gsp had the belt at the time.
Struve beat Stipe early. Bigfoot beat Fedor after prime.

It was before he was considered one of the greatest, sure, but he was an extremely highly regarded fighter at the time, reaching #2 in Welterweight and #5 Middleweight before the fight. Unfortunately, the different weight classes and ambiguity in weigh-ins for Pride vs UFC made those early historical rankings a little weird, as Silva was likely fighting at 170, but there's no way to tell his exact weight as he was fighting at 185 shortly after. Regardless he had been highly ranked and regarded in both weight classes depending on how you view it, from either the Japanese or the Western weight class perspectives.

He'd already defeated legends from that era like Carlos Newton and Hayato Sakurai, along with beating other top contenders like Tetsuji Kato, even Alex Stiebling was well regarded at the time. He beat Lee Murray a year after the Takase fight, so he may not have been considered one of the greatest, but he was definitely considered great in that era. He wasn't some kid stepping up for the first time.
Carlos newton and sakurai are not legends. Yes he was regarded as a skilled fighter,yea it was an upset,but its clear that he would become something truly great when he left chute boxe for black house

Yoel vs. Cavalcante looks stranger all the time.
One of the coolest finishes ever. Headkick misses, Feijao spins all the way and throws a backfist that cracks Romero like a psychotic mockingbird demon. It did looks like Romero was definitely the smaller man in there. 185 is way better for him

Let me counter.

Serra was at least a top guy, as he just won TUF.,

Takase on the other hand was never a top guy, in fact has a losing record.

Take this in conjunction with how they lost. GSP lost by getting caught. Anderson was OUTCLASSED by takase's triangle.

So we have GSP being caught by a top guy in serra, vs Anderson being clowned on the ground by a fringe circus sideshow guy.
Come on, man. Serra was 8-4 before beating Lytle on the finale, and the whole season was about giving journeymen another shot. That's like saying Travis Lutter was a top guy when he fought Silva because he won the season. That's the entire reason why Serra beating GSP is arguably the biggest upset in MMA.

I wont include Fedor vs Maldonado because tech. It isnt a loss.

Silva L to Takase
Fedor L to Bigfoot
GSP L to Serra
Stipe L to struve

Imo, has to Be Silva vs Takase. Takase is like 6 and 7.
I dont see any shame on losing to Serra, Bigfoot or Struve, they were never the best but dangerous yes for sure, IMO its close between Silva-Takase and Pele-Matsui

Decided that I'd do the work for you as you're clearly too busy updating your dream journal.

I said no reddit but you ignored that and got what you posted from here but that's not a real link it's just someone pasting something in a reddit post so you should have gone here https://web.archive.org/web/20020204040639/http://mmaweekly.com:80/ and if you had done you'd have noticed 'Thanks to everyone who gave us your TOP 10 Rankings. Here is the list YOU put together.' so they're reader submitted rankings which is basically bullshit and you're a retard but we already knew that from your first post in this thread. Thanks for trying (and failing) though.

Disagreeing with you because you're wrong has nothing to do with Silva, it's just because you're wrong.

Hey dumb dumb, Silva WAS ranked at number 1 welterweight in the world on SHERDOG after beating Hayato Sakurai, who was the best welterweight in the world, who was similar to Frank Mir ill affected by the traffic accident, and probably something to do with korean BBQ to a degree, just it doesn't appear that they have that ranking up on this site any longer.

But, I'm sure you fell in love with this sports after watching the highly skilled, legendary fight between two world beaters in Griffin and Bonnar, who Anderson Silva beat and showed how great of a fighter he is *gasp*, and fancy yourself looking good with a tapout t shirt and a hat sideways on top of your ugly mug while having a little shrine in your heart for just bleed gods and Anderson Silva, oh a tragic and innocent figure who magically fell out of a prime after being ranked 1 at welterweight a year or so prior to losing in its entirety before getting finished to two japanese fighters, whom he was much bigger than, and then magically a year or so later became number 1 ranked at middleweight.

I mean, hey, if you buy his dick pill excuse, i guess you can spin anything and try to argue that he was just not really in his prime, i mean, it's hard to see that brazilian nut right up your face the truth sometimes, so i don't blame you

Well, there's a misconception there in including GSP as a great.

But if we are to be benevolent and consider him "great", tapping to strikes the way he did is the worst of them all.

Carlos newton and sakurai are not legends. Yes he was regarded as a skilled fighter,yea it was an upset,but its clear that he would become something truly great when he left chute boxe for black house
I highly disagree with saying they aren't legends. I get what you mean, I'm not one of those who throws that word out casually, but you gotta look beyond records and championships to qualify a legendary fighter.

Carlos Newton is the only fighter who was ever allowed to fight under contract in both Pride and UFC during a time when the two organizations were at extreme odds. This wasn't a one-off thing or a challenge from the UFC to Pride like Liddell and Ricco Rodriguez; he was so liked by everyone that he just did whatever he wanted, trained his own style without any outside influence, and fought wherever, hence the name "The Ronin." He was massively popular, a smaller fighter in an era where nobody cared about the smaller guys, who had to fight much larger dudes and developed incredible technical abilities to do so.

He was a smart, nerdy anime fan, an all-around nice, respectful guy and had massive international appeal because of that; he was the opposite of the bar brawlers, college/olympic wrestlers, meatheads and Brazilian BJJ guys that filled MMA at the time, and developed his own unique style in both fighting and his personality. Look at every "legend" list we see; it's 99% full of Light Heavyweight and Heavyweights while the early, lower weight class pioneers like him never get the respect they truly deserve.

Same goes for Sakurai. Started his career with an 18 fight win streak, beating dudes like Trigg, Azeredo, Nakao, and others before losing to Anderson. Keep in mind he was 5'7" fighting at 170 against a 6'2" natural Light Heavyweight in Silva. And yet he's still considered one of the top 10-15 welterweights ever, and is easily one of the best Japanese fighters ever next to Sakuraba and Gomi.

Hey dumb dumb, Silva WAS ranked at number 1 welterweight in the world on SHERDOG after beating Hayato Sakurai, who was the best welterweight in the world, who was similar to Frank Mir ill affected by the traffic accident, and probably something to do with korean BBQ to a degree, just it doesn't appear that they have that ranking up on this site any longer.

But, I'm sure you fell in love with this sports after watching the highly skilled, legendary fight between two world beaters in Griffin and Bonnar, who Anderson Silva beat and showed how great of a fighter he is *gasp*, and fancy yourself looking good with a tapout t shirt and a hat sideways on top of your ugly mug while having a little shrine in your heart for just bleed gods and Anderson Silva, oh a tragic and innocent figure who magically fell out of a prime after being ranked 1 at welterweight a year or so prior to losing in its entirety before getting finished to two japanese fighters, whom he was much bigger than, and then magically a year or so later became number 1 ranked at middleweight.

I mean, hey, if you buy his dick pill excuse, i guess you can spin anything and try to argue that he was just not really in his prime, i mean, it's hard to see that brazilian nut right up your face the truth sometimes, so i don't blame you
That's why I only fuck with FightMatrix historical rankings. Unbiased, and while they may lack context in some cases when it comes to fluke wins, it's generally identical to how I'd rank people historically.

Fight%20Night%20Krakow:%20Mirko%20Cro%20Cop%20vs.%20Gabriel%20Gonzaga%20-%20The%20Sequel_528661_OpenGraphImage.png
Boom.

Cro cop was supposed to take the UFC by storm and reign for years, gets ktfo'd by a BJJ player via his own signature move. Never the same afterwards.

After all the smack talk, Aldo getting dropped in 13 seconds was pretty bad. Conor triggered him so bad he launched his face into the leprechaun's left.

I think GSP because Silva was still coming up back then. And Fedor was going down already.

Fedor losing to Werdum was so anti-climatic. It shattered the longest streak.

Back