Which "great" has the worst loss?

I wont include Fedor vs Maldonado because tech. It isnt a loss.

Silva L to Takase
Fedor L to Bigfoot
GSP L to Serra
Stipe L to struve

Imo, has to Be Silva vs Takase. Takase is like 6 and 7.
I don't think either of those Heavyweight fights should be considered for the simple fact that anyone can knock out anyone in that weight class.

Which means it comes down to Silva and GSP's respective losses:

Silva was 11-1 and Takase was 4-7-1 at the time of their fight; Silva was essentially dominated on the ground and then submitted.

GSP was 13-1 and Serra was 9-4 at the time of their fight; GSP was winning the stand-up until he got caught with a right hand.

Silva's loss to Takase is probably the worst of the four options presented.

What, aged in his late 20’s?

As I think everyone is aware of, prime and biological age doesn't not have a parallel relationship in any sport and especially not a young sport like MMA. Anderson wasn't a blackbelt during his Pride years. Ironically, even as his grappling got better his wrestling continued to be an issue, and it wasn't until after his prime was mostly over that his wrestling actually got good. Remember he stuffed Weidman in the second round before the KO and stuffed Sonnen repeatedly in the rematch. Goes to show how skill and age works together on determining when an athlete is in his prime.

Serra wasn't a top guy. He wasn't top ten and I don't think even top 20 WW at the time. He beat Chris Lytle in a decision at WW going in. Winning TUF isn't real accolades.

If you're playing catchup on the Silva vs Takase fight on Fight Pass many years after the fact then it can be distorted since you knew Silva as a MW GOAT going into the fight. At the time it wasn't close to the GSP vs Serra upset. Prior to the Takase fight Silva had a loss already on his record by getting controlled on the ground by some journeymen as well. GSP on the other hand was flawless expect getting caught against Hughes when Hughes was champ and in his prime and GSP getting pushed into a title fight much too early.

Since Sherdog ranked these upsets before and had Silva vs Takase at #7 all time and GSP vs Serra at #1 I'll borrow what the article said "It(gsp vs Serra) was the closest thing to an MMA version of Buster Douglas-Mike Tyson in the sport’s brief history."

http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles/11/Sherdogs-Top-10-MMA-Upsets-53453

http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles/5/Sherdogs-Top-10-MMA-Upsets-53453

Articles are just a Journalist writing shit down.

I don't need an "article" to think for me (like you do).

GSP v Serra is bigger because of what was at stake. Thats it.

As far as skill compared to opponent skill, Anderson v Takase hands down.

And "Anderson wasnt in his prime" excuse is BS

As I think everyone is aware of, prime and biological age doesn't not have a parallel relationship in any sport and especially not a young sport like MMA. Anderson wasn't a blackbelt during his Pride years. Ironically, even as his grappling got better his wrestling continued to be an issue, and it wasn't until after his prime was mostly over that his wrestling actually got good. Remember he stuffed Weidman in the second round before the KO and stuffed Sonnen repeatedly in the rematch. Goes to show how skill and age works together on determining when an athlete is in his prime.

So when would you say his prime was? Pretty sure Anderson had stuffed TD’s in the past. His ground game has always been an issue though especially when on his back

Articles are just a Journalist writing shit down.

I don't need an "article" to think for me (like you do).

GSP v Serra is bigger because of what was at stake. Thats it.

As far as skill compared to opponent skill, Anderson v Takase hands down.

And "Anderson wasnt in his prime" excuse is BS

As I stated before, 2016 join date playing catchup on fight pass. Welcome to the forums

So when would you say his prime was? Pretty sure Anderson had stuffed TD’s in the past. His ground game has always been an issue though especially when on his back

His prime? Maybe around the Henderson fight, although his wrestling improved later than that. And dont try to deny the difference in Andersons grappling since the Takase fight when he was still a chute boxe fighter. It was only after that fight he went to train with Nog.

So you couldn't find it then, where's the link to your dream journal?
You probably weren't even born when Anderson was fighting at WW anyway.

MMA WEEKLY - Feb 2002

Heavyweights 1. Randy Couture 2. Rodrigo "Minotauro" Nogueira 3. Pedro Rizzo 4. Igor Vovchachyn 5. Ricco Rodriguez 6. Mario Sperry 7. Heath Herring 8. Mark Coleman 9. Josh Barnett 10. Kazuyki Fujita.

Light Heavys 1. Tito Ortiz 2. Vanderlai Silva 3. Chuck Liddell 4. Vitor Belfort 5. Dan Henderson 6. Kevin Randleman 7. Guy Mezger 8. Ricardo Arona 9. Elvis Sinosic 10. Allan Goes

Middleweights 1. Kaz Sakuraba 2. Frank Shamrock 3. Matt Lindland 4. Renzo Gracie 5. Andrei Semenov 6. Dave Menne 7. Sanae Kikuta 8. Pele Landi-Jons 9. Paulo Filho 10. Ikushisa Minowa

Welterweighs 1. Anderson Silva 2. Pat Militech 3. Carlos Newton 4. Matt Hughes 5. Hauato Sakurai 6. Gill Castillo 7. Shawn Sherk 8. Frank Trigg 9. Shonie Carter 10. Testsuji Kato

Lightweights 1. Jens Pulver 2. BJ penn 3. Din Thomas 4. Rumina Sato 5. Takoanori Gomi 6. Caol Uno 7. Dennis Hallman 8. Dokonjonosuke Mishima 9. Fabiano Iha 10. Ryan Bow

Now roll your tiny ego and shove it up your ignorant ass after taking Anderson "Dick Pill' silva's out first

As I stated before, 2016 join date playing catchup on fight pass. Welcome to the forums

Yes bro,

I was born on my join date. You must have been born yesterday though, as the thread is "worst loss" not "biggest upset", genius.

Silva v takase was before he was great
It was before he was considered one of the greatest, sure, but he was an extremely highly regarded fighter at the time, reaching #2 in Welterweight and #5 Middleweight before the fight. Unfortunately, the different weight classes and ambiguity in weigh-ins for Pride vs UFC made those early historical rankings a little weird, as Silva was likely fighting at 170, but there's no way to tell his exact weight as he was fighting at 185 shortly after. Regardless he had been highly ranked and regarded in both weight classes depending on how you view it, from either the Japanese or the Western weight class perspectives.

He'd already defeated legends from that era like Carlos Newton and Hayato Sakurai, along with beating other top contenders like Tetsuji Kato, even Alex Stiebling was well regarded at the time. He beat Lee Murray a year after the Takase fight, so he may not have been considered one of the greatest, but he was definitely considered great in that era. He wasn't some kid stepping up for the first time.

It was before he was considered one of the greatest, sure, but he was an extremely highly regarded fighter at the time, reaching #2 in Welterweight and #5 Middleweight before the fight. Unfortunately, the different weight classes and ambiguity in weigh-ins for Pride vs UFC made those early historical rankings a little weird, as Silva was likely fighting at 170, but there's no way to tell his exact weight as he was fighting at 185 shortly after. Regardless he had been highly ranked and regarded in both weight classes depending on how you view it, from either the Japanese or the Western weight class perspectives.

He'd already defeated legends from that era like Carlos Newton and Hayato Sakurai, along with beating other top contenders like Tetsuji Kato, even Alex Stiebling was well regarded at the time. He beat Lee Murray a year after the Takase fight, so he may not have been considered one of the greatest, but he was definitely considered great in that era. He wasn't some kid stepping up for the first time.

Lee Murray underrated win.

MMA WEEKLY - Feb 2002

Heavyweights 1. Randy Couture 2. Rodrigo "Minotauro" Nogueira 3. Pedro Rizzo 4. Igor Vovchachyn 5. Ricco Rodriguez 6. Mario Sperry 7. Heath Herring 8. Mark Coleman 9. Josh Barnett 10. Kazuyki Fujita.

Light Heavys 1. Tito Ortiz 2. Vanderlai Silva 3. Chuck Liddell 4. Vitor Belfort 5. Dan Henderson 6. Kevin Randleman 7. Guy Mezger 8. Ricardo Arona 9. Elvis Sinosic 10. Allan Goes

Middleweights 1. Kaz Sakuraba 2. Frank Shamrock 3. Matt Lindland 4. Renzo Gracie 5. Andrei Semenov 6. Dave Menne 7. Sanae Kikuta 8. Pele Landi-Jons 9. Paulo Filho 10. Ikushisa Minowa

Welterweighs 1. Anderson Silva 2. Pat Militech 3. Carlos Newton 4. Matt Hughes 5. Hauato Sakurai 6. Gill Castillo 7. Shawn Sherk 8. Frank Trigg 9. Shonie Carter 10. Testsuji Kato

Lightweights 1. Jens Pulver 2. BJ penn 3. Din Thomas 4. Rumina Sato 5. Takoanori Gomi 6. Caol Uno 7. Dennis Hallman 8. Dokonjonosuke Mishima 9. Fabiano Iha 10. Ryan Bow

Now roll your tiny ego and shove it up your ignorant ass after taking Anderson "Dick Pill' silva's out first

Where's the link to it?
You just typed that out after dreaming it or copied it from your dream journal that you still refuse to link.

I wont include Fedor vs Maldonado because tech. It isnt a loss.

Silva L to Takase
Fedor L to Bigfoot
GSP L to Serra
Stipe L to struve

Imo, has to Be Silva vs Takase. Takase is like 6 and 7.
Aldo getting slept in 13 seconds in the biggest fight of his career on the largest stage

Especially after all the build up and delay

Aldo getting slept in 13 seconds in the biggest fight of his career on the largest stage

Especially after all the build up and delay

By style of losing, you could be right. But Conor at least is an elite fighter.

I'd put GSP vs Serra over Silva vs Takase based on a couple factors

1. GSP ranked #1 at the time

2. Serra had no reasonable way to beat GSP going into the fight which is why the odds were so ridiculous. Remember Serra was basically a blownup LW fighting at WW who won a retirement season of the Ultimate Fighter to get a title shot. Add on Serra never had a KO/TKO win going into the fight and GSP was never KO/TKO at the time. Serra main chance at victory on paper was a submission over GSP.
I agree with you. It’s the first fight I thought of. BUT, you did a kick ass job of breaking down why it was so big. Many likes....me likey

By style of losing, you could be right. But Conor at least is an elite fighter.
That’s true the opponent isn’t bad in this case

But the overall loss and circumstances are horrible

His prime? Maybe around the Henderson fight, although his wrestling improved later than that. And dont try to deny the difference in Andersons grappling since the Takase fight when he was still a chute boxe fighter. It was only after that fight he went to train with Nog.

Yeah there was a difference, he wasn’t getting tapped by midget Japanese cans but his ground game was still weak once on his back

Yeah there was a difference, he wasn’t getting tapped by midget Japanese cans but his ground game was still weak once on his back

Not really that weak. If his ground game was as bad as you say he should have way lore losses in the UFC considering all the times he was taken down.

MMA WEEKLY - Feb 2002

Decided that I'd do the work for you as you're clearly too busy updating your dream journal.

I said no reddit but you ignored that and got what you posted from here but that's not a real link it's just someone pasting something in a reddit post so you should have gone here https://web.archive.org/web/20020204040639/http://mmaweekly.com:80/ and if you had done you'd have noticed 'Thanks to everyone who gave us your TOP 10 Rankings. Here is the list YOU put together.' so they're reader submitted rankings which is basically bullshit and you're a retard but we already knew that from your first post in this thread. Thanks for trying (and failing) though.

Disagreeing with you because you're wrong has nothing to do with Silva, it's just because you're wrong.

Back