Which gi to choose

michi972

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Koral mkm competition, atama mundial or storm t2?

whichever you like better for me when i pick a gi is all about the fit first, then if i'm looking for a lightweight and comfortable gi or a thick heavy durable gi that is not as comfortable, the cosmetics don't matter to me.

hmm.. all would be good, what's your height and weight?

Whatever brand you go with, I recommend getting a gold weave for training.

I'm a huge fan of ATAMA. Very durable and roomy/wide (hence convenient). I also love the rip-stop pants. In my mind they're way better than the ones made of thick cotton - lighter, slicker and less abrasive, especially matters when in the training cap, rolling twice a day. Some people don't like the hissing sound they make, but I don't care. I usually go with the mundial models, which used to be in pearl weave and now it's in Carioca weave, but the gold weave mentioned above is not worse methinks. Though it's width might be a drawback if you want to have narrow sleeves for competition. If that's the case, go for Koral. If you like thick/heavy gis, I'd recommend Keiko Raca Gold weave (double weave, 1000gsm). It all depends on your target function.
But there is no guarantee if it's gonna fit you, so give it a crack and see which one fits you the best and return the others.

Is atama dying? USA site looks like it may not come back. Very few on the Brazilian site, although they are releasing a new cheaper gi

Why did everyone seem to strongly prefer their mundial over the gold weave

I think they are just moving/replacing their web-site, so I wouldn't be so pessimistic on the Brand overall. It's just a temporary technical issue. Though who knows... will see. For now, you can order their gis via European web-site or through another retailer, like Amazon.
As for the weave, it doesn't really matter that much, though I prefer the pearl weave, cause it seemed lighter and more durable. I might be wrong about the latter.

You should try Grapple Kings we got a huge selection of great fitting comfortable gis at prices that wont break the bank weve sent many over to the USA even former UFC fighter Kamal Shalarous purchased 2 gis from us ;)

Heres Danny Batten former mma fighter who tapped out John Kavanagh :)

Attachments

• dannybatten.jpg
    dannybatten.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 6
Back