Which fighter ever could win slugfest with Hagler?

Yeah, you're right, being KOd so badly you fall helplessly through the ropes you get more time is the most sensical rule ever made, I know how rules work smartass, but you know exactly what I mean, and I bet even Nigel lays at night wondering if he really won that night. You shouldn't get more time because you were so soundly defeated you collapsed through the ropes, so stop citing :eek::eek::eek:gy rules like I didn't play combat sports myself or understand the concept of rulea, thats a dumb fucking one, and dont even pretend you dont know what I mean. Dont like my opinion? Tough. Nigel hit like a ton of bricks, but at the end of the day he lost and drew with Eubank and got his ass beat by McClellan in a round, people hold on to the McClellan "win" way too hard and get extremely butthurt and cite rules like hall monitors every time. Watch the fucking fight, dude got knocked to the apron and got a lifetime to get back up like Gerald threw him into the 10th row.

I bet he doesn't! he may lose sleep at night due to the Injuries Mclellan suffered, but that's because he has compassion and is a decent human being

he lost the fight no matter what you say or think! Otherwise are we going to start arguing that Tyson beat Douglas because of the 'long' count?? I also strongly believe that benn won the 2nd fight with Eubank, but no matter what I think he didn’t win it!

Last edited:
I think Eubank will beat Groves, he'll overwhelm him with work rate, especially in the second half of the fight. Ironically I think Eubank Sr would have given McClellan a really tough time because he had such a great chin on him but I don't think he'd have won because McClellan had a higher work rate and I think he'd have outpointed him over 12.

Jnrs chin is as solid as his old mans. I think the fight will go exactly as you say. groves will cause lots of problems to start with because he aint going to stand in front of Eubank. but he won't KO him and will be in trouble late because his gas tank is fckin ridiculous. can see the fight lookin similar to the Froch fights

I think Snr would've dropped a close decision to G man. Don't see him KOing Snr either

Yeah, good breakdowns. I've been looking forward to this Eubank Jr/Groves fight, I think this is the one where Jr makes a statement over a quality opponent.

I've grown more and more observant of his father's career while getting caught up with boxing history I wasn't around to see. Its frustrating the fights we didn't get to see more match ups between the lot of Eubank, RJJ, Benn, Toney, Hopkins, McClellan... that era had so many appealing fights, and I think left a lot of questions unanswered.

Eubank wasted his talent to some extent. He was a completely different fighter after the Watson fight. he was too worried that it would happen again so pretty much fought hand picked opponents for the rest of his career. Can’t blame him but his legacy should’ve been so much better

My mate spars with jnr and really rates him. I think this will be the fightvhe makes a statement

Jnrs chin is as solid as his old mans. I think the fight will go exactly as you say. groves will cause lots of problems to start with because he aint going to stand in front of Eubank. but he won't KO him and will be in trouble late because his gas tank is fckin ridiculous. can see the fight lookin similar to the Froch fights

I think Snr would've dropped a close decision to G man. Don't see him KOing Snr either

The only reason I question Jnr's chin is I saw him wobbled once earlier in his career. I can't for the life of me remember who it was against though. But it's looked pretty solid ever since.

No I don't know what you are on about as Benn was allowed by the rules of the governing body of that fight a full 20 seconds because he was outside the ropes. He only took 13 seconds so your point is moot. The rules are the rules if you don't like them then tough.

The French ref was pretty god awful in that fight. Benn was bending below the waist consistently without any warning. Good win for Benn, but i still think if G-man was healthy he would've KO'd Nigel Benn. Despite the result i think that fight proved that McLellan was the better fighter.

The French ref was pretty god awful in that fight. Benn was bending below the waist consistently without any warning. Good win for Benn, but i still think if G-man was healthy he would've KO'd Nigel Benn. Despite the result i think that fight proved that McLellan was the better fighter.
I wouldn't dispute that McClellan was the better fighter and Benn was lucky to get him at the right time. I believe that because of reports that Gerald was quitting during sparring because of headaches and I think it was the Julian Jackson fight that did the damage to him. You an also add that the ref was holding Gerald back a lot when he way trying to go in for the kill. All things that added up to a Benn victory.

As bad of a boxer Lemieux is, nobody can stand in front of him and trade with him

As bad of a boxer Lemieux is, nobody can stand in front of him and trade with him
If you’re in for an early get me going early fuck your face, you got owned...
bitch

We need to be a bit less nostalgic here.

Hagler was not a massive puncher, solid shots but not a one punch KO.

I would like to have seen Julian Jackson land some shots and see how Hagler would of dealt with those bombs or GGG is just as dogged as Hagler.

MW Roy Jones would beat Hagler but wouldn't slug with him.

Funnily enough Sugar Ray Robinson, although known for being a boxer I've seen him slug it out really well.

If its a pure slug fest I'm going to go with ..........

GGG, Toney, Rubin Carter as contenders

Carter was like an early version of Hagler

Eubank wasted his talent to some extent. He was a completely different fighter after the Watson fight. he was too worried that it would happen again so pretty much fought hand picked opponents for the rest of his career. Can’t blame him but his legacy should’ve been so much better

My mate spars with jnr and really rates him. I think this will be the fightvhe makes a statement

McCallum and Eubank both had fights with Watson, I wonder how their fight would have gone if we saw McCallum/Eubank.

I have Jr winning the whole tournament. Groves and him decides the final I think. I like Groves, solid fight, but Jr will be a class above these guys.

We need to be a bit less nostalgic here.

Hagler was not a massive puncher, solid shots but not a one punch KO.

I would like to have seen Julian Jackson land some shots and see how Hagler would of dealt with those bombs or GGG is just as dogged as Hagler.

MW Roy Jones would beat Hagler but wouldn't slug with him.

Funnily enough Sugar Ray Robinson, although known for being a boxer I've seen him slug it out really well.

If its a pure slug fest I'm going to go with ..........

GGG, Toney, Rubin Carter as contenders

Carter was like an early version of Hagler
So you’re saying tommy hearns Landing a bomb on your chin and the only thing that broke is your hand means he was fighting people who can’t crack. Ok.

So you’re saying tommy hearns Landing a bomb on your chin and the only thing that broke is your hand means he was fighting people who can’t crack. Ok.

Did I say that?

Quote me.

Or are you saying Hearn's hits as hard as Julian Jackson?

Did I say that?

Quote me.

Or are you saying Hearn's hits as hard as Julian Jackson?
No, I was saying one of the guys normally recognised as a monster puncher landed his best shot on the button and broke his hand. The hawk might have flattened him I don’t know. Can people please get back into a mindfrane that a response to a post isn’t a criticism and stop being defensive. If I thought you had terrible opinions you would’ve seen uncle roger by now.

No, I was saying one of the guys normally recognised as a monster puncher landed his best shot on the button and broke his hand. The hawk might have flattened him I don’t know. Can people please get back into a mindfrane that a response to a post isn’t a criticism and stop being defensive. If I thought you had terrible opinions you would’ve seen uncle roger by now.

I don't get the Uncle Roger comment but yeah sure, Hagler was great but he wasn't the hardest puncher so I just wanted people to remember that before judging on if he fought another hard hitting MW brawler.
People tend to look at the golden age boxers with rose tinted glasses, deserved but its still good to be objective before making a statement.

Hagler vs Carter for example.

Who takes that? they're very similar, Hagler a touch taller though I believe.

McCallum and Eubank both had fights with Watson, I wonder how their fight would have gone if we saw McCallum/Eubank.

I have Jr winning the whole tournament. Groves and him decides the final I think. I like Groves, solid fight, but Jr will be a class above these guys.

I’d say it would’ve be close if they fight before Eubank fought Watson, but I’d probably go with McCallum. Anytime after I’d pick McCallum every time. I massively under rated him at the time, but his record speaks for itself. He definately doesn’t get the credit he deserves

Yeah I agree with Eubank. I had Callum Smith at the start but he’s looked shite in his last 2 fights. I think this is gonna be a great fight as well. If this fight was over 8 rounds I’d have groves in points every day. But like froch, I think Eubanks stamina and chin I think will be the difference

Back